It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Milk - How soon after taking meds?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2005, 03:16 AM   #1
Maryee
(female)

Maryee HB User
Milk - How soon after taking meds?

Hello all

I am following Meep's method of dissolving the tablets under my tongue but I just wondered how soon I can have a cup of tea (containing milk) after they have dissappeared?

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2005, 07:10 AM   #2
Lady50
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Milk - How soon after taking meds?

Hi Mary, I put mine between the cheek and gum so it doesn't mix with the saliva. I have no proof that it is a better way.

From what I have learned if you do it sublingually, it goes into your bloodstream bypassing the stomach acids etc.After it dissolves you can eat or drink anything you want.

Everyone has their own way of doing things so this is just mine.

Betty

Old 04-13-2005, 07:28 AM   #3
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Everyone has their opinions about this, and in the end, it may boil down to what works best for you. Here's what I do: I swallow my Armour and wait at least a half hour to have coffee with non-dairy creamer. I then wait at least another half hour to eat whatever I want.... Whether that's cereal with no more than 3/4 cup of milk, or oatmeal, or whole wheat toast. (I mention the oats and toast because fiber is said to interfere with the med.) I've not had a problem with this method. I do not, however, take any calcium tablets for about 6 hours.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:49 AM   #4
mintchocolate
Veteran

mintchocolate HB User

That is true, everyone does things differently. My cousin takes her pill with breakfast, including milk or whatever she feels like eating.

I take mine with just water in the morning and have breakfast about 20-30 minutes later, and the pill in the afternoon I don't worry what I eat or drink with it. I take calcium mid morning or evening.

From what I understand, the absorption of the medication is less if you take it with other things especially things that contain calcium. So, if you take a higher dose with breakfast your body absorbs what it needs (this is what my cousin does). Her thyroid levels are balanced and she has lost about 60 lbs in one year and feels great.

Mintchoc

Old 04-13-2005, 07:50 AM   #5
inyourdreams
Veteran

inyourdreams HB User

I guess I do it all wrong, but my body feels better, so it must be ok for me. I take my medicine with my food, and with soy milk (gasp!) for breakfast and it doesn't seem to be affecting me at all. I also take my calcium supplement about 2-3 hours before I eat dinner.

I have quizzed my Dr several times regarding eating when taking it and taking soy products and he said it's more important to get it in you at the same time everyday than to worry about what items you're eating it with. He has never heard of soy or any other food interfering with the absorption of it. Now this is Cytomel, not any of the other thyroid meds-so that might be different. Oatmeal and fiberous food will make the medication last longer in your body and for some people they need that. Cytomel has a 5 hour life. He told me his daughter actually poops out after 4 1/2 hours and he had to make her up a pill that had "sawdust" filler in it to get her to the 5 hours.

Midwest is right---lots of different opinions out there and not one way works for everyone.

Old 04-14-2005, 12:05 AM   #6
Maryee
(female)

Maryee HB User

Once again, thank you so much for the information - I'd be really lost without you all.

Closed Thread