It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Secondary Hypothyroidism?????????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2005, 09:43 AM   #1
    nimbeth
    (female)

nimbeth HB User
    Question Secondary Hypothyroidism?????????

Hi,

I was officially diagnosed with Secondary Hypothyroidism, as well as have low testerone levels, and slightly evelvated coritsol levels, and candida.

Anyway, does anyone else have secondary hypothyroid and if so can you tell me about your progess in feeling better? I just want to know that I will feel better.

Thanks
    Beth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
    Razzy_Berry
    (female)

Razzy_Berry HB User
    Re: Secondary Hypothyroidism?????????

Beth do you mind me asking what your testosterone level was? I had mine tested and Im wanting to do a comparison to others. My total testosterone was 37.

raz

Old 04-21-2005, 07:48 AM   #3
    -Misha-

-Misha- HB User

Hi Beth:

Was this the result of your appt with Dr. Woliner?

Old 04-21-2005, 04:37 PM   #4
    nimbeth
    (female)

nimbeth HB User

Hi,

Yes, this was the result of my appt. with him. So now its time to start upping my dose of Armour again, I am at 1 grain now, need to go up up and up, possibly to 3 grains given my free levels, I was at 1.75 grains when I saw him, but he told me to lower my dose to the 1 grain, but given my latest labs, I need to up it. I am also upping my dhea from 10 mg to 25 mg, hopefully this will help with the adrenal issues and low testerone.

How is the cortef working for you? Thats what your on, correct? Are you feeling any better?

Razzy Berry- I dont have my labs in front of me, I will get back to you on the testerone level.

Old 04-21-2005, 04:44 PM   #5
    nimbeth
    (female)

nimbeth HB User

Misha-

He trazadone was working that great for me, I will be trying Xyrem. Have you tried it???

Old 04-21-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
    -Misha-

-Misha- HB User

Hi Beth:

I just replied to your other post.

I really want to try the Xyrem but it's impossible to get in Canada. I checked into it and I'd have to tell them I have cataplexy in order to be approved for the program as the Xyrem is a controlled (albeit natural) substance. I'm a terrible liar and I'm afraid I'd get caught and be arrested or something for trying to obtain the "date rape" drug.

They're going through clinical trials right now for prescribing Xyrem for Fibro, but it's a long way off from being approved. I must say, I'm jealous. Only problem is, the stuff's terribly expensive, eh?

Will you be getting it?

Old 04-23-2005, 09:09 AM   #7
    nimbeth
    (female)

nimbeth HB User

Hi,

Finally got to a computer at kinko's, but mine should be fixed tommorow it has some sort of virus invading it--LOL! (as we all do!)

Anyway, I was just contacted by the Xryem success program, so I guess I will be getting it soon. The trazadone seems to have stopped working for me, now its back to waking up every few hours, I am so exhauseted from not sleeping through the night. You mentioned the Xryrem is expensive, how much is it???

Are you on any thryoid drugs now? Did Dr. W. suggest DHEA for you, what was your cortisol numbers, where they high???

Anyway, I'll keep you posted!

Old 04-23-2005, 09:51 AM   #8
    -Misha-

-Misha- HB User

Hi Beth:

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I read somewhere that it's around $400/month without insurance. Since I don't have insurance, I'd have to pay out of pocket for it. That's the problem with a "central" pharmacy, it's a monopoly.

Yes, I'm on 200 mcg of Synthroid right now with hopes of being well enough to switch over to the Armour after my adrenals heal some more. Dr. Woliner didn't want to switch right now with all the other stuff going on.

I'm on 25mg of DHEA. I was taking 50mg, but started breaking out with little pimples. Nothing major, but I decided to cut back given that I have a history of acne cysts.

My saliva cortisol was low normal during the AM and PM and my serum AM cortisol (after starting Cortef) was mid-range. Are you hoping to go on cortisone therapy?

Good luck with the Xyrem. Keep me posted.

Old 04-25-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
    nimbeth
    (female)

nimbeth HB User

Hi Misha,

I should be getting my Xyrem, in a few days, and its expensive about $700 for the month, my insurance will reimburse about 60%. Anyway, I am only getting about 2 wks worth to see how I tolerate it. I hope it works! How long were you on 50 of the DHEA for, have felt a difference on dose, other than the pimples? I am kind of anxious to start the cortisone therapy, I am questioning whether or not this DHEA will work.

Anyway, I am hoping to feel better soon, the one thing that I hate about this adrenal/hypothyroid thing is the fluid retention, and constipation, and fatigue. Do you have a fluid retention problem? If so, how do you relieve it? I know water retentin relief is only temporary until the thyroid thing is straigtend out.

Anyway, keep me posted as well!!!!

Closed Thread