It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• does anyone else feel the 'swing'??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-28-2005, 07:36 AM   #1
    MLWC
    (female)

MLWC HB User
    Arrow does anyone else feel the 'swing'??

Hi everyone--
    I would like to know if anyone else here feels similar to what I am feeling--

A few months ago, I had a thyroid panel done and my tsh was 5.5 (can't remember the others, but they were 'in the normal range' according to the lab). Then about 1 month ago, I had another and the TSH was 4.4 or so (TBG was a little low, but everything else *mostly* normal).
    One of the last panels I had done a couple years ago ( I know you can't really compare, but--) showed a TSH of 2.something. So I have really swung in the hypo direction.

Plus I don't FEEL right and that, to me, is the key. I have an appointment with my mom's endocrinologist (my mom has Graves'; my dad is hypo) and I will talk to him about all of this, but I wanted to know from anyone here if they can actually FEEL themselves swinging from being "normal" feeling to feeling hypo--sluggish, constipated, foggy in the head, depressed(!), cold and headachy. I mean, one day I feel awake and alert and I'm hungry and going to the bathroom and the next day I feel like I do today--headache, tired, achy and stiff.

I have read that Hashimoto's or one of the other autoimmune thyroid conditions can cause such a swing--is that true? I have not been tested for antibodies yet, but I want to ask the endo when I go to do so.
    Any thoughts on this? It is so frustrating to deal with from day to day...esp since I have a pretty high pressure job and can rarely take days off when I don't feel well...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2005, 08:22 AM   #2
    shellshocked
    Inactive
    (female)

shellshocked HB User
    Re: does anyone else feel the 'swing'??

I definitely have felt the "swing"! Sometimes I would wake up from it. My family thought I was a little "nutty" 'cause when I felt myself feeling better---my hair would immediately feel much softer, the dark circles under my eyes would suddenly disappear and I would have tons of energy. I used to call those episodes my "windows of opportunity"---I had the chance to get some stuff done before I fell back into my semi-stuporous, sluggish, stiff state.
    What has been real troubling to me is that my PCP doctor at the time dismissed my symptoms and told me that it was not possible---i.e., I was crazy. Things came to a head when I showed up at his office suffereing what I believe to be myxedema coma---and he ended up dropping me off at the emergency room and telling me that there was a possibility that I would end up in the psychiatric unit. Of course the ER doctor diagnosed me as "depressed". He was half right. I was depressed----because I was so friggin hypo I thought I was going to die. All I wanted to do was sleep, I couldn't see straight (literally, my vision was all screwed up), my bp was off the charts---they were waiting for me to have a stroke, so they just left me sitting in a room for the next 6 1/2 hours. Then they told me I could go home. When I went to see my PCP the next week, he greeted me with, "What the hell is going on!" It was then I knew I needed a better doctor.
    Your story has given me hope. I know I'm not the only one who is experiencing these swings in thyroid levels---but it's real hard to find good doctors who understand what is going on. I keep hearing how common thyroid problems are----I sure can't understand how so many doctors don't seem to understand them.
    I went so far to try and tell one of my doctors that I felt like I should be treated like a diabetic is---you monitor how you feel and then you take enough medicine to treat yourself. They didn't like that idea.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:14 AM   #3
    MLWC
    (female)

MLWC HB User

shellshocked--
    Yes yes yes. I think that sometimes my boss thinks I'm a nut, too. Kind of like, 'what are you tired from? you don't look tired'. Unbelieveable.

Last week I woke up feeling refreshed and so mentally clear I got so much done at work that day, felt great after my exercise ( had what I call a 'skinny' day), even LOOKED better.

Now this week I am SO bloated, my legs are crampy and achy, my body is stiff and I am tired and headachy. It's almost May and I'm still in flannel PJs and socks under two blankets when I go to bed! (let's not even TALK about libido--or lack thereof!)

I am really hoping my visit to the endo is going to help. Fighting through the sluggish times is like a second job sometimes--

Hope you're feeling better, too----thanks for the input!

Old 04-28-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
    buggedup
    (female)

buggedup HB User

I am so happy... no offense...but to see people talk about the "swing" and hear that maybe i am not crazy.... or maybe not as crazy as i thought. It seems like a few days i feel "great"... most days i feel..."OK"... and then it will hit... I feel buzzed...dizzy... heart pounding...like i can't function... and cant make a complete sentence... and then...i seem to "crash". I cry and am depressed, exhausted, achy, slow... foggy... all of those things... and then... in a day or so... i am back to ... "OK" until the next swing.. or wave or whatever. Don't have a lot of labs to relate... my doc just says that i am in "normal" range... I really don't understand it.... how it happens... how you can have a swing like that... and still have "normal" labs... This has been one of the bad weeks. I had to take time off work... and can't afford it. It is getting harder to hide it, but know that i have to. No one understands something like this.... it isn't like a broken arm or anything. But don't blame anyone, cuz i don't understand it either. Just glad to see that there are others out there... There is a lot of good advice on these boards, and feel lucky to have found it, at least. here's wishing us all luck.
    bugged up

Old 04-28-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
    cherokeeblond
    (female)

cherokeeblond HB User
    Cool Re: does anyone else feel the 'swing'??

Shellshocked, I like reading your posts. I can relate to how you feel. The best news is we can improve with knowledge

Old 04-28-2005, 02:05 PM   #6
    kloet
    (female)

kloet HB User

You are me!! I am currently trying to deal with my doc about my thyroid. But the last two days I feel like I am dying. My body is achy, feel tired all the time keep feeling like there is a fog in front of my eyes. But I am not sure where to turn cause my doc does not believe that I have a thyroid problem. Just waiting to see if it is going to get worse or hopefully better. God Bless.

Old 04-28-2005, 02:59 PM   #7
    shellshocked
    Inactive
    (female)

shellshocked HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MLWC
    shellshocked--
    Yes yes yes. I think that sometimes my boss thinks I'm a nut, too. Kind of like, 'what are you tired from? you don't look tired'. Unbelieveable.

Last week I woke up feeling refreshed and so mentally clear I got so much done at work that day, felt great after my exercise ( had what I call a 'skinny' day), even LOOKED better.

Now this week I am SO bloated, my legs are crampy and achy, my body is stiff and I am tired and headachy. It's almost May and I'm still in flannel PJs and socks under two blankets when I go to bed! (let's not even TALK about libido--or lack thereof!)

I am really hoping my visit to the endo is going to help. Fighting through the sluggish times is like a second job sometimes--

Hope you're feeling better, too----thanks for the input!
    I just got back from the psychiatrist---she prescribed provigil in addition to my thyroid meds. This is close to the same treatment I received several years ago---but was discontinued because the prescribing doctor left the area.
    I have gone to hell and back over this---and I don't know what I would do without reading and learning from the stories you have chosen to share.
    The psychiatrist said she treats lots of people with this regimen---including people who suffer from Fibro, diabetes, and MS. I don't know if this will help anyone---but I've taken a chance and I'm hoping I will get back to feeling like I used to.
    PS---I also suffer from sleep apnea---and after being on the CPAP machine for about a year now, I can tell you that it has made a difference in my life.
    I hope this helps someone. You all have helped me.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:27 PM   #8
    elggon
    (female)

elggon HB User

I swear that I was JUST going to ask the same question on this board earlier this week but never got around to it! When I am having a bad day or feeling like hell I call it a bad thyroid day, and boy did I have one this weekend! Friday I felt exhausted, cold, sluggish. I took a 4 hr nap 5 hrs after waking up Then Saturday I actually felt the change from hypo. to hyper. I all the sudden was getting HOT, shaky, just feeling really weird, weak, etc. And my bowel movements were out of whack as well. I can totally relate to the post about having a few "great" days, then "ok" days and then BAD days. It's hard to explain to people that aren't familiar w/the problem. I am hypothyroid, so when my symptoms go the other way I really notice. I am still having trouble with my doctor and thyroid, so it's been a long year for me since I started feeling this way, but at least there are people on here to vent to

elggon

Last edited by elggon; 04-28-2005 at 09:25 PM.

Old 04-29-2005, 06:46 AM   #9
    MLWC
    (female)

MLWC HB User

LOL!
    I am so happy to find other people who 'get it'!
    For a long time I just attributed some of the scattered symptoms to other things--stress, hormones, the Pill, just being cold or having low BP. But then after I found the TSH was 5.5 in November, my partner looked up some stuff online about hypothyroidism. That night when I came home from work, he was like, 'Um, I don't want to seem alarmist here...but THIS SOUNDS LIKE YOU!' (we chuckled...esp since I fit into SO many of the symptoms)

I spoke with my mom (who has Graves' as I mentioned in an earlier post) to ask about my dad when he finally found out he was hypo. She said he was SO sluggish he could barely function or get out of bed. It's funny because I don't think I feel THAT sluggish, but on the other hand I am so USED to pushing myself through it that maybe I don't even realize it's abnormal behavior!

Oh, yeah the other clue I have towards the hypo--high LDL. My cholesterol is over 200 (I don't eat meat, btw, but my dad has high cholesterol so it could be genetic) and my LDL is like 130! This is also a symptom of hypothyroidism -- along with all the other FUN crap!

Thanks so much to all of you guys for the input and the chatting...not feeling like you're crazy is the first step I think! LOL (now if we could just get the docs to see it that way...)

Old 04-30-2005, 05:43 PM   #10
    kimberlee33
    (female)

kimberlee33 HB User

M GOING TO CAPS LOCK BECAUSE ITS ALOT EASIER TO TYPE...
    OK HERES MY STORY FOR A FEW MONTHS I FELT ALITTLE DIFFERENCE NEAR MY ADAMS APPLE . I PUT ON ABOUT 30 POUNDS LAST 6 MONTHS. i WAS ALWAYS NEROUS AND WHEN I LAYED DOWN I COULDN'T BECAUSE MY HEART WAS RACING SO... I WOULD EAT. THINKING IT WOUILD RELAX ME. . ON MARCH 16TH OF THIS YEAR I WAS IN NYC SUBWAY GOING TO SCHOOL AND GOT REALLY DIZZY. MY HEART WAS RACING FASTAND A NICE WOMEN TOOK ME TO HOSPITAL. BLAH BLAH THE DOCTOR SAID I HADE PANIC ATTACKS AND NEEDE TO SEE A PSYCH. AFTER 2 VISITS TO A HOSPITAL THEY NEVER GAVE ME A THYROID TEST EVEN THOUGH ONE SAID THEY WOULD. MIND YOU MY SYMPTONS ARE FULL BLOWN NOW RACING HEART ABOUT 120-160 AT REST JUST WALKING I WAS AT 180-200 THANK GOD I HAVE A STRONG HEART. EXCESSIVE SWEATING MAJOR PANIC ATTACKS AND CONSTANT RUNNING TO BATHROOM. DELIRUS FEELING AND WELL I FELT LIKE I WAS GOING TO HAVE A NEROUS BREAKDOWN A SPOON DROPS AND I WAS HAVING FULL SYMPTONSIVE HAD THIS FOR 2 MONTHS. ALSO CHOKING FEELING COULDNT BREATH. SO I GO TO MY REGULAR DOC HE PUTS ME ON BUSBAR(ANIEXTY MED). MEDICINE ISN'T HELPING ME HE CALLS BACK SAYS YOUR TSH IS 0.03. LUCKILY FOR ME MY HUSBAND FINALLY BELIEVES ME AS WELL AS MY FAMILY. MY HUSBAND IS A 4TH YEAR RESIDENT IN RADIOLOGY. HE TAKES ME TO HOSPITAL NAD MT THYROID UPTAKE=72.3%
    MY BLOOD PROFILE= T3=329 NORMAL 22-35
    TSH=0.03 NORMAL 0.40-5.50
    T4=22.4NORMAL 1.4-3.8
    iM 33 BY NOW I HAVE A SLIGHT GOITER NAD HE &NUCLEAR MEDICINE & ENDIOCRNOLIGSTPUT ME ON A BETTA BLOCKER ATENOL 25 MLG ,METHIMAZOLE 20MLG.
    I FEEL BETTER BUT IM ON MEDS FOR ONLY 2 WEEKS. THIS CONDITION CAN FEEL LIKE YOUR LIFE IS OVER. YOU FORGET WHAT IT FEELS TO FEEL NORMAL. I THINK FOR A LONG TIME I WAS GETTING SYMPTONS BUT FELT LIKE I WAS DEPRESSED. I KNOW ITS HARD BECAUSE NO ONE BELIEVES YOU. MY MOTHER WOULD SAY TO ME AND STILLS DOES CALM, DOWN YOUR MAKING IT WORSE. LITTLE DO THEY KNOW. WHEN YOUR UNTREATED IT CAN LEAD TO HEART PROBLEMS. NEXT WEEK I GO FOR MY BLOOD TEST AND WILL GO TO THE ENDIOCRNOLIGST. I HOPE THIS DOESN'T RUIN MY LIFE.
    IM SCARED LIKE YOU TO BUT KNOW IM IN GOOD HANDS. IF YOU LIVE IN NY I CAN GIVE YOU ONE OF THE BEST DOCTORS IN WORLD. HE ALSO TREATS CHILDREN OF RUSSIA

Old 05-02-2005, 06:52 AM   #11
    MLWC
    (female)

MLWC HB User

kimberlee---
    While I can't empathize totally with what you are going through (I'm more hypo than hyper), I can tell you that you are NOT crazy. My mom has had Graves' disease (hyperthyroidism) for a few years...went away with drug treatment and now it's back full force. She had many of the sypmtoms you describe--nervousness, heart racing, she lost a lot of weight, actuallly and her muscles were very sore all the time...she was metabolizing herself from the inside out! Thankfully she has a pretty good doctor and they are going to get her in to do the radioactive iodine treatmen to knock out the thyroid since she is not responding to meds any longer.

Make sure you have a doctor you feel comfortable and confident with and try to take care of yourself as much as you can---best of luck to you...

Old 05-02-2005, 09:01 AM   #12
    BethanyF
    (female)

BethanyF HB User

Yes! Ditto!
    I feel the same way!! In fact, I hate it when people ask me how I'm doing because it's different every day! One day, I feel like I'm dying, the next, I'm getting all kinds of things done. I go from being in the bathroom all the time, to terrible heart burn and constipation from one day to the next. And I've been on meds for about 5 weeks. Also experience heart palps from the meds. Good to know there are others out there who understand. Hope today is a good thyroid day!

Old 05-02-2005, 03:01 PM   #13
    Ginger9708
    Veteran
    (female)

Ginger9708 HB User

Yes I definitely do and my diagnosis is hashi but #'s are supposedly normal. Some weeks I am good and I will also sleep very very well and fall asleep fairly easily, but than its like I experience some sort of flare up. The flare up seems to always happen around before my period to 1+ weeks after. During this time I feel a lump in my throat like Im being choked, fast heartrate, difficulty sleeping unless I have a snack beforehand, a buzzing feeling in throat chest area, dizziness, gnawing in chest like Im starving to death, pain in lung area, etc. etc... It just feels like I am hyper in a way. Of course i think I am worse when under stress. When I experience these flare ups I also start to gain a bit of weight because of course I am snacking before bedtime which I do not do unless I start feeling the above symptoms. This weekend I was putting together a party for my daughter and definitely felt like I was going to die because I felt so bad from brain fog, choking feeling.
    Lin

Closed Thread