It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Sweating / Chills

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2005, 08:25 PM   #1
    Looly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
    Sweating / Chills

I have been sweating all day. This is not the first time it happened. Can this be caused by a thyroid condition? I first feel very hot, then I feel chilled. For most of the day, that's what I've experienced. Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2005, 10:32 PM   #2
    Kaylasly
    (female)

Kaylasly HB User
    Re: Sweating / Chills

Yes, I experienced that when taking a higher dose of Synthroid. My doctor said that my blood counts were normal, but suggested that I change to Armour. I didn't take anything for 2 days and today started taking Armour and my hotness is gone right now....I sure hope its permanent! What are you taking?

Old 05-07-2005, 03:13 PM   #3
    Looly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

The question about sweating is about me, having sweats, but not being on any medication. Is sweating an indication of a hyperactive thryroid and would it come in episodes, i.e. coming every few days rather than remaining constant. Thanks!

Old 05-07-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
    linda115
    (female)

linda115 HB User

Sweating is a result of a shift in hormones, whether it's a consequence of a surgery or medication. If you are not on any medication and you are not having menopause, your may have an overactive thyroid. A blood test will confirm it.

Old 05-09-2005, 04:04 PM   #5
    easydoesit
    (male)

easydoesit HB User

I am a 72 year old male who has been having hot flashes and chills since my bypass surgery last August. I have been to doctor after doctor. Had all kinds of hormone and blood test done. All they could tell me was they didn't know the cause. I sweat so much I have to change the pillowcase and my t-shirt several times during the day or night. I finally went to see an endo at the suggestion of my heart doctor. He changed my synthroid from .115 to .175.
    My sweats got worse. Today I went back to see my old endo who I saw 17 years ago after my thyroid surgery. He changed my synthroid to .100. I sure hope this corrects the problem because I am miserable.

Last edited by easydoesit; 05-09-2005 at 04:05 PM.

Old 05-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #6
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I also have the hot flashes but not the chills, although I'm cold quite often. I had them on the lower dose of synthroid and am still having them now that synthroid has been increased. I'm not much help am I?? An answer to this age old question would be nice.

Old 05-10-2005, 06:01 AM   #7
    diatron

diatron HB User

A lot of sweating is a sign of hyperthyroidism, especially with additional symptoms such as rapid heartbeat and tremors in the hands. But some people get the sweats with hypothyroidism. I know I did--I used to call them clod sweats. My doctors thought I was crazy. Also going through menopause at the same time didn't help to get an early diagnosis. I finally go it all sorted out (during the last 12 years!) and am now taking Armour, Levoxyl and HRT.

For all of you: what are your blood tests showing? A free T3 and free T4 blood tests is the only way to tell if your symptoms are related to thyroid imbalances or something else. If either of your Free numbers are over the top of the range, you are hyperthyroid (I don't know of any other cause of this, but.....). If your Frees are in the low end of their ranges (or below!) you are hypothyroid. There are medications for either of these conditions that will make the sweats go away.

Closed Thread