It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• How have you helped your foggy head?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2005, 06:09 PM   #1
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User
    How have you helped your foggy head?

I am on synthroid and thinking of a switch or other help!. My main complaint is FOGGY HEAD...hardly know what I am typing now! Anyone out there had good luck with something? thyroid meds, vitamins, witch doctors?...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
    ssMarilyn
    Inactive
    (female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
    Re: How have you helped your foggy head?

Depending on how old you are, if you are in perimenopause, which starts in your 30's and gets worse til you hit the 50's, this could very well be estrogen starvation in your brain. I get the foggy head more often than not, and I did alot of research on it and discovered that it can be either thyroid, (mine is good right now) or estrogen starvation. I am having alot of _$#*_% hot flashes and mood swings, so I am in full-blown peri-menopause, which means my poor brain is lacking estrogen and contributing to my foggy brain. Or...I'm blonde, so maybe that explains it!

Marilyn

Last edited by ssMarilyn; 05-18-2005 at 08:52 PM.

Old 05-18-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User

Blond and named Marilyn! Well really thanks for the info. I have been meaning to get the female hormones checked out but I have been Graves for so long (we have too much estrogen) that I didn's know about that. Is your estrogen actually low? Did you have it checked? Are you taking anything for it? Really, really interested....

Last edited by pixiek; 05-18-2005 at 10:22 PM.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:41 PM   #4
    SadFreek
    Veteran
    (male)

SadFreek HB User

can one of you explain what you mean by "brain fog" please?

Old 05-19-2005, 03:17 AM   #5
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User

Well, for me it is like my head is full of cotton, or I feel drunk, or I feel like I am coming out from an operation after having been put to sleep, or like someone woke me up at 3:00am....basically can't think well...forget what I am doing..not fun...how about you?

Old 05-22-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
    kkkittykat
    (female)

kkkittykat HB User

Pixie,

I had horribe brain fog while on synthroid. Could'nt even remember my own phone number, felt like I was in a daze all the time. I now take Armour and it has helped me much - don't have the fog anymore.

kk

Old 05-22-2005, 04:55 PM   #7
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User

Thank you, thank you so much! I have been thinking for a long time that I need an addition of T3 somehow! I have gotten lots of benefits from my T4 only including energy, but the pesky fog and funy numb knee, is so stubborn. That is about all that is left for symptoms....I go to the doctor next week...she is not so familiar with all the ins and outs of dosing for individuals, but she is so willing to let me try what I think. Thanks again...let's hope it works as well for me! PS> you a cat person? We have a ragdoll!

Last edited by pixiek; 05-22-2005 at 05:13 PM.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:35 AM   #8
    shellshocked
    Inactive
    (female)

shellshocked HB User

Armour helped me with "foggy head" and more---it just seemed like the right combination for me. My doc put me back on synthroid a couple of weeks ago---and I'm starting to slow down and feel not so hot again.
    Be real careful about estrogen. One doc gave me oral estrogen and I started retaining tons of water---I was so bloated I could hardly move! I've gone to a estrogen patch (I think the dose is lower) and with additional help from Avalide---the bloating is almost completely gone and my bp is coming down too.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:18 AM   #9
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User

Wow, wow wow! Thank you! THE INFO IS GREAT!!!! It's like the bible of dosing! I am struggling now as my numbers have looked so good to everyone...even convinced myself once! Yet, finally I found a doctor who was willing to try what we could with the thyroid meds...but she is inexperienced so I am on my own in some sense...educating her as I educate myself. Right now the hardest part is the waiting and seeing and wondering if it will work or not.

CATS, YES...my young daughter loves them as well...the ragdoll is perfect for a kid...fits its name to a tee! Pixiek

Last edited by pixiek; 05-24-2005 at 02:59 AM. Reason: typos

Old 05-24-2005, 04:23 AM   #10
    diatron

diatron HB User

My brain fog was helped by adding Cytomel. I still get relief from it on Armour. For me, it really is poor conversion of T4 to T3--my Free T3 numbers are below range unless I add some.

When I first noticed the brain fog it was during meetings at work. I would listen to a conversation, formulate what I was going to add to it and then realize that the rest of the people had moved on to a new topic as I was thinking (or not). On another occasion I was in the middle of a sentence and completely forgot how to finish it or what I was going to say. Scary and embarrassing.

Old 05-24-2005, 04:32 AM   #11
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User

Yes, my latest fog problem was insisting to my students it was Tuesday when in fact it was Friday (or was it the other way around...fog keeps me from remembering that very well,too!) Meanwhile I am holding on 75mcg of synthroid and wondering if at next visit to ask for Ammour or Clytomel? any thoughts?

Old 05-24-2005, 07:19 AM   #12
    kkkittykat
    (female)

kkkittykat HB User

Pixiek,

75mcg of synthroid is not much meds for your symptoms. Does your Doctor go by the TSH? Have you had your Free T4 or Free T3 checked? They are what you need to go by. Have you had Antibodies checked? I was on synthroid for 4 years at 75mcg (because my doctor told me to) and no antibodies checked, then in Nov. 2004 I felt like I was dying (depression,no energy,not wanting to leave the house,brain fog,body aches,edema bad, etc). The Doctor finally did a TPO test for Hashi's that came back at over 1000---0-34 is normal. I left that Doctor (get my meds other ways), found an armour site and doing great now!!! Now if only they had a miracle pill for my 17 yr old adhd son life would be really great!!!

kk

Old 05-24-2005, 06:00 PM   #13
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User

Today I feel not too bad, but still FOGGY head! Holding on the 75 for only two weeks (came down from 100 as I started getting diarreah and generally not feeling well, quite, quite tired). I noticed at the last blood test (before 75) I jumped with my T4 but my T3 (though close to the range) ...66% of the range...did not jump up quite as dramatically. The problem is that to the doc. it looks like I am converting...my challenge, I guess, is to convince her that I am not converting too well? Sorry to hear about your son...I have issues with my daughter as well...this hereditary stuff stinks......

Now do you think I should ask for the Armour switch or tyr a bit of T3 first?

Last edited by pixiek; 05-25-2005 at 01:25 AM. Reason: added stuff

Old 05-25-2005, 03:06 AM   #14
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User

Oh, KKKittykat: you probably already know this but I found information on low thyroid that said common and often undiagnosed symptoms of low thyroid can include ADHD and said low thyroid is a problem even in young children...thinking of your son.

Old 05-25-2005, 09:12 PM   #15
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Pix,

I started noticing MORE foggy brain when I started on the Synthroid ... this was about a month ago. Tendons & muscle pains much better, but really foggy brain, esp. in the morning.

For me part of it seems to be I think I get hypoglycemic taking the Synthroid "as directed" first thing in the a.m. then waiting 1 - 1.5 hrs. after that before eating.

My doc said it was OK for me to take Synthroid later in the day (I take it at 1 p.m., about 1.5 hrs after lunch). For whatever body clock reasons, it works better for me at that time of day ... I even sleep better.

Lor

Closed Thread