It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• i am new.. and i got questions about bloodwork

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2005, 08:31 PM   #1
    ipmom3
    (female)

ipmom3 HB User
    Question i am new.. and i got questions about bloodwork

hi all! ia m new, and a friend sent me here cause i am tryin to get my thyroid back "on track"

here is what the nurse at my docs office told me were the "normal" ranges for my Free T3 and Free T4 ...

Free T3 - 2.3 to 4.2
    Free T4 - 0.61 to 1.76

MY levels are
    Free T3 2.7
    Free T4 0.93

she told me they was in the "normal" range, but i am still sooo tired and wiped out.. and my throat is swelling large enuff for difficulty to swallow.. you can see the actual "outline" of my thyroid, the "butterfly" shape at least 10 feet away or more, from the swelling so bad.

are these levels right?
    i am callin my endo doc tomorrow for an appt ASAP and i go in next thurs for an ultrasound of my thyroid...

what do i need to tell them, besides i feel like crud and i am swelling. (which they can see anyways).

thanks!

ip

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2005, 09:33 PM   #2
    ssMarilyn
    Inactive
    (female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
    Re: i am new.. and i got questions about bloodwork

Hey you ditz....tell 'em what your TSH was last time around..

ssMarilyn

Old 05-18-2005, 09:55 PM   #3
    ipmom3
    (female)

ipmom3 HB User
    Smile Re: i am new.. and i got questions about bloodwork

ohhh yeah... DUH!!

my last TSH was .662 (point six six two)

thanx for reminding me, moe!

ip

Last edited by ipmom3; 05-18-2005 at 09:56 PM.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:07 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Well... I guess I can tell who your "friend" is...

No, those labs don't look "normal" to me. Your TSH is too low to go along with the lowish FT4 and FT3. (In other words, you seem hypothyroid, but your TSH doesn't reflect that.) I hope the doctor will investigate a problem with your pituitary gland. It appears it isn't releasing enough TSH to get your FT levels high enough to let you feel well.

Old 05-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
    ssMarilyn
    Inactive
    (female)

I told ya these smart people here would have a clue!

M

Old 05-20-2005, 06:15 AM   #6
    ipmom3
    (female)

ipmom3 HB User
    Unhappy Re: i am new.. and i got questions about bloodwork

reading up on the tests and the pit. gland.. here is what i found..

If the T4 level is low and TSH is not elevated, the pituitary gland is more likely to be the cause for the hypothyroidism. Of course, this would drastically effect the treatment since the pituitary gland also regulates the body's other glands (adrenals, ovaries, and testicles) as well as controlling growth in children and normal kidney function. Pituitary gland failure means that the other glands may also be failing and other treatment than just thyroid may be necessary. The most common cause for the pituitary gland failure is a tumor of the pituitary and this might also require surgery to remove.

it also says the pit. gland is "at the BASE of the brain."

so now i am totally terrified!

i go for untrasound on thursday... and have an appointment with my endo doc on the same day at 9:45 am....

so HOPEFULLY by friday i will have all my results and they will FIX me!

till then.. i will be a nervous wreck!

Old 05-20-2005, 06:53 AM   #7
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I'm sorry... didn't mean to totally terrify you.
    One: Pituitary tumors are rare.
    Two: Nearly 100% of them are benign.
    Three: They usually don't need to be removed, but if they do, the surgery is done via the nose. (Yeah, I know that sounds icky, but it's better than opening the skull, you'd have to agree.)

I'm no expert about anything, really. Especially not pituitary dysfunction. But I believe it doesn't always cause the extensive problems you outlined in your first couple paragraphs. It can cause relatively minor problems only. If there is a problem with your pituitary that's causing your hypoT, simply taking thyroid hormone may be all that's needed.

Let us know how it goes, OK?

Old 05-20-2005, 06:56 AM   #8
    ipmom3
    (female)

ipmom3 HB User

well, i have been on levoxyl for about 4 years now... with adjustments and all to get it right... its just this past 6 or so months when i started feeling drained and then about a month ago where i started swelling in my throat/thyroid...

hopefully by next friday i will be "fixed" or at least KNOW what is wrong with me...
    (shaddup moe! no comments from the peanut gallery! )

ip

Last edited by ipmom3; 05-20-2005 at 06:57 AM.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:01 AM   #9
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipmom3
    well, i have been on levoxyl for about 4 years now.
    OHHHHHHHHHH.... Well that makes a world of difference. Your TSH can't be elevated if you're taking thyroid hormone!
    Forget all that about pituitary dysfunction. I'm quite sure it doesn't apply to you.

That swelling jes' ain't right, though. Whatever happens, let us know.

Edited to add ~ Your dose isn't large enough. Your thyroid has enlarged to try keeping up with your need for more hormone. It's clear from your low levels of FT4/3 that you don't have enough for your needs. Hope that new doc will increase it for you.

Last edited by midwest1; 05-20-2005 at 07:03 AM.

Old 05-20-2005, 08:53 AM   #10
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

I just wanted to let ya know that I started in with the thyroid swelling and was diagnosed with a nodule and hashimotos. Have you had your antibodies checked to see if you have hashi's which is causing you to be hypo? Let us know what your ultrasound shows!

Good luck,
    Karen

Old 05-20-2005, 09:29 AM   #11
    Cazzie
    (female)

Cazzie HB User

That was my first thought. Have you been checked for antibodies for Hashis?

Old 05-20-2005, 10:06 AM   #12
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IMO, at this point, it doesn't much matter if you have antibodies or not. You're simply undertreated. Providing more thyroid hormone may make the swelling stop.

Old 05-21-2005, 10:07 PM   #13
    ipmom3
    (female)

ipmom3 HB User

i got aletter thursday telling me they scheduled me an appointment the SAME day i got the ultrasound.. and it also says "to follow up on the nodules, tumor and cysts on your thyroid"..

now why did they NOT TELL ME!?!?!? this was done a YEAR ago!

so i will go thrus for another round of blood work.. more testing and all the garbage they put me thru... and will update when they figure me out!
    thanks everyone for your input...

i will be nervously waiting.....

ip

Old 05-24-2005, 11:56 PM   #14
    ssMarilyn
    Inactive
    (female)

IP's TSH is almost perfect now, so how would more thyroid hormone help her? .66 is pretty darned good since women want to be as close to 1.0 as possible. She's almost there now. When I first saw her TSH, I thought she meant 6.6! I had a 'duh' moment. I think she needs to get 'fixed' asap....

Moe

Old 05-25-2005, 06:19 AM   #15
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TSH no longer matters when we take replacement hormone, Marilyn. The pituitary no longer puts out as much TSH because it senses there is enough T hormone being provided by the supplement. If the T hormone isn't replaced in high enough dosage, the pituitary may increase TSH production in response to the too-low levels, but most often it doesn't. So then, a dose increase must be provided when the T hormone is low, because the pituitary no longer takes up the slack.
    The rule about TSH needing to be at 1 or below only applies to healthy people without thyroid disease. It should not apply to people taking replacement.

IP's free T hormone levels are too low. They are the all-important ones. See how they're nearly at the bottom of their ranges? That's why she's having so many symptoms. Hardly anyone feels OK unless their THs are mid-range, at the very least. Most people don't feel completely well unless the THs approach the upper third of the range. This is why I think she's undertreated. TSH has nothing to do with anything.

Last edited by midwest1; 05-25-2005 at 06:24 AM.

Closed Thread