It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Severe HEAT sensitive, yet Hypo & Energy in PM

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
    TheBreeze
    (female)

TheBreeze HB User
    Severe HEAT sensitive, yet Hypo & Energy in PM

Hey, This is my first post. I'm a 55 yr.old female from NC who has been sick for 28 years and just started taking Synthroid for Hypo. After upteen years of doctors who would not listen and much self-research, I have: CFIDS, Fib. RA, and was finally diagnosed with Hypothyroidism just weeks ago. Anyrate, I would like to know if any of you hypos have SEVERE intolerance to HEAT? I literally dread the summer time. NC can get so hot and humid. Also, I feel better in the afternoons, and it is impossible to do ANYTHING physical until after lunch especially in the summer. Also, the symptoms of CFIDS, Fib, and Hypo. are so intertwined, and now I'm wondering if all of the above may have been caused by Lyme Disease? I took 25 mics of Synthroid for 2 weeks, and felt somewhat better, then started with heart palps. and feeling 'crappy' again, so I stopped taking the Synthroid. When you have been sick for as long as I have, it's hard to introduce something new without fearing it is the 'new thing' that is causing the symptoms again. Just last week, I started taking the Synthroid again because my TSH had crawled up to 8.3. I'm not sure which came first, the chicken or the egg in that was I hypo 28 years ago and the test never showed it or did I get CFIDS and that caused the hypo? I know it's been a long haul, and I'm so ready to feel good. It's a scary life especially in the mornings and especially when you are alone. Thank you for listening and any words of encouragement and knowledge will be appreiated with Southern Hospitality. Donna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2005, 11:03 PM   #2
    Nutboy
    (male)

Nutboy HB User
    Re: Severe HEAT sensitive, yet Hypo & Energy in PM

I feel your pain. Yes, hypo's can have intolerance to heat. I am one of them. Symptoms can be mixed, especially if you have an autoimmune disease like Hashimoto's (which I also have).

In response to your Fibro. I was first diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I actually tested 15 out of 18 on their pressure test thing. They offered antidepressants, like they do for most Fribo patients, and I declined. Eventually, I found out that I don't have it....that I had Hashi's/hypothyroidism and that it can cause all the same symptoms.

My advice would be to get control of the thyroid and to a nice level (T3/T4 into the upper 1/3 of the range), and then ween off any Fibro meds and see if you still have the pains/aches. Also remember that even once you get your thyroid levels right, it can take 6 months to feel a lot better. Your body takes time to heal after being sick so long.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:21 PM   #3
    SadFreek
    Veteran
    (male)

SadFreek HB User

I can't take the heat at all..I hate it hate i hate it!

I wont hardly do anything during the summer.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:48 AM   #4
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User

Hi. I am like you, too. Yes, summer is hard on hypos I think. I also drag in the am and boy, like no trouble for a good part of the pm. I am on a bit higher dose than you, but still struggling a bit. You seem to be on quite a low dose of synthroid. I hear that (as you seem to be doing) to gradually increase it until you feel better and always with 6 weeks each time in between increases to get to stable levels and thus accurate labs and response. If you still feel unwell with the synthroid and or it is giving you unwanted side effects, you may want to switch to another brand or try Armour. Hang in there...hope this helps

Last edited by pixiek; 05-20-2005 at 03:49 AM.

Old 05-20-2005, 04:35 AM   #5
    Changedusername
    Inactive
    (male)

Changedusername HB User

I am Hypo and am always hot, although I go through flashes of Hyper with my Hashi's mixed in with Hypo...If you took a look at me you would say "classic Hypo" but I can't stand the heat but I never sweat anymore. Im like truly hypo and hyper I guess.

Old 05-20-2005, 05:38 AM   #6
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

HypoT messes with the hypothalamus, which regulates body heat. For some hypos, that translates to intolerance to heat rather than intolerance to cold... or quite often, both.

As for taking the Synthroid for a time and feeling worse ~ That happens to most of us. Your body has been without enough thyroid hormone for a long time. All of a sudden, you give it a little bit in pill form, the body drinks it up and very shortly, demands more. That's why the symptoms return in full force after such a short time. This will happen again and again as you increase the dose gradually, eventually reaching an optimum dose for you. I know that sounds discouraging, but trust me. That's the way it usually goes.

As for the other disorders, very, very often they are misdiagnosed hypoT. You may find that most of those symptoms disappear if your MD is willing to prescribe a high enough dose of thyroid hormone... but that's the tricky part. Too many of them are chicken to do just that.

Closed Thread