HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   Synthroid/Wellbutrin (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/287761-synthroid-wellbutrin.html)

sarstar 05-25-2005 12:43 PM

Synthroid/Wellbutrin

So... what are peoples honest thoughts on taking wellbutrin while taking synthroid? My dr put me on the wellbutrin about a month before I started taking the synthroid (about 2.5 weeks ago). I did not notice much of any difference in my symptoms when taking the wellbutrin alone (except the little jolt of energy here and there), and I have just stared to feel some relief of symptoms in the last few days from the synthroid (i believe). I find myself questioning if I should continue with the wellbutrin or not. Does it alter the effectiveness of the synthroid at all? If so, how?

Has anyone had experience with the two, either independantly or together?

Thanks.
sara

Lady50 05-25-2005 02:14 PM

Re: Synthroid/Wellbutrin

The only problem that I can see is you might get very use to taking wellbutrin, so it might be hard to stop it when you want to. ;)

diatron 05-26-2005 06:35 AM

I was taking Effexor when I began thyroid treatment and have since learned that this antidepressant can bind up some of the thyroid hormones, so I needed a larger dose. At least theoretically, since I was just beginning my treatment and had not reached an optimum dose. After 6 months of treatment with thyroid hormones I found I was able to wean myself off the Effexor and not miss it.

Maybe it will be the same for you and the Wellbutrin.

hrtofluv 05-26-2005 08:56 AM

My doc's NP wanted me to go on Lexipro when I went in with anxiety and depression complaints. I refused to take it until my thyroid bloodwork came back. My doc was proud of me when I told him what happened cause he said it was ALL thyroid problems. He questioned how many people out there were on anti-depressants and anxiety meds when in fact they had thyroid issues.
Just put a call into your doc (that prescribed the synthroid) and I bet he will tell you that the wellbutrin is not needed now.
Wishing you the best!

sarstar 05-26-2005 09:08 AM

Well, it is the same dr who put me on both - he said that there were no issues with taking both. But then again he said there was no way my thyroid was causing all my symptoms becuase they weren't 'that bad at all'. Basically I just have the very bottom of normal FT4 and TSH of about 2. So, I know he will say to continue both, but I just wanted to see what others thought.

thanks.
sara

hrtofluv 05-26-2005 10:54 AM

Well your FT4 is too low (needs to be in the upper 2/3rds) and your TSH is still too high (needs to be below 1.0) for you to feel better. Now these are Dr. Dommisse's reference ranges which my doctor uses, so depends on what your doctor perceives as the optimum reference ranges.
I just know that all my symptoms of depression, anxiety, and OCD went away with the right thyroid dosage. My doc laughed at this last appt and said "you thought you were bi-polar, didn't you?" Yes, I did and was ready to be committed. And let me add that I wouldn't have minded the diagnosis if someone could help me. I just wanted help before I drove everyone I loved away from me with my mood swings.
Sure hope you feel better soon.