It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Confused with Hypo T, Hashis, Hashi's Thyroiditis, Hypo, Hyper...help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2005, 01:10 PM   #1
    kaciii
    (female)

kaciii HB User
    Confused with Hypo T, Hashis, Hashi's Thyroiditis, Hypo, Hyper...help

I really am so confused. (foggy thinking). I had one lobe removed two months ago, from moltinodular goiter. I started feeling really bad, have a nodule on other lobe. My only dr. was my surgeon who wanted to monitor me. So I decided to find another dr. I found a really nice
    internist, know for treating Thyroid problems. He suspects that I have had graves in the past, when he did the reflex test, i kicked my shoes off across the room. I was embarrassed. He said my leg reflexes were very hyper. My arm reflexes were very hypo. I was actually feeling very good the day I saw him, than felt the crash a couple of days later. My body temp by mouth has been 96.5-97.3 in the am. Never gets to 98.6. All my young adult life is has always been 99.6, but not anymore.

My TSH is 4.56 and I just came home from a thyroid uptake scan at the hospital the 24 hour one. My father had graves, but I don't think that I do.
    Even though I've had tachicardia all of my life, heart pains, hyper bowel
    business. I tend to think that I am hypo. Tired (very!) stiff body, gained weight, slurring voice, all of the hypo symptoms. On occasion, I feel the change where I must be hyper.

He did extensive blood test, and they aren't back yet. But I'm wondering...
    how do you treat someone who can be hypo then hyper and back again. I'm thinking... if the dr. gives me hyper meds and I'm really hypo can that hurt me even further? If he gives me hypo meds, but I'm really hyper... see my confusion. Are there medications for that??? Should I have my other lobe removed?

Can someone explain what Hashi, Hypo, Hyper what ever all those dx.s mean?
    When I read these boards, they all tend to blend. I am going out to buy a book on Thyroid problems too. Thanks, K

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User
    Re: Confused with Hypo T, Hashis, Hashi's Thyroiditis, Hypo, Hyper...help

Yes, you are doing the right thing...read, read, read and educate yourself about thyroid issues, get a good, compassionate doctor who will listen and treat not just by numbers but by symptoms. went from Graves to hypo land but experienced hypo and hyper episodes (I think now) throughout my entire life starting at about age 16 or 17 until I got a full blown case of Graves at age 40... but I was unaware of it until then and was somehow managing ok. If you have additional questions you can post your results here along with the lab ranges and the many knowledgable folks will give their ideas and comments if you so desire. We are all here for you...perhaps someone else can help on the lobe issues...

Last edited by Administrator; 06-26-2011 at 04:11 AM.

Old 05-27-2005, 04:50 PM   #3
    NodiGoiterGirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User
    Re: Confused with Hypo T, Hashis, Hashi's Thyroiditis, Hypo, Hyper...help

When I had Hashi's, before surgery, I would definately have days where I was hyper and days when I was hypo. It never seemed to show up in the blood tests though. I attribute it to the antibodies being worse one day than the other. Maybe when I was under a big attack it made me have hypo feelings, and then when it woudn't be under attack as much I would feel the oposite. Or it could be the opposite, when my body was fighting an attack it could have put me into hyper mode. I just don't know. There doesn't seem to be any firm answers for the hypo-hyper symptom sufferers. I think as long as you have the other half of your thyroid, you will have the antibodies which will in turn, keep you feeling like crap.
    But, I'm not an expert. I wish I was though
    If they could give us something to keep the antibodies under control long-term then it would solve a lot of the problems Hashis sufferes have. I never even tested positive for them, but they were there.
    It just seems like much more research needs to be done on this disease. I don't think everyone has the full picture. Really, it's that way for all thyroid related issues.
    TTYL
    Nodi

Closed Thread