It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• pounding heartbeat - please clue me in here..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User
    pounding heartbeat - please clue me in here..

Every night for oh, the past 2 or 3 weeks or so I've had difficulty falling asleep because my heart feels like it's going to pound it's way out of my chest! It's maddening. I KNOW it's not anxiety, and I know it's likely not because I'm overmedicated (i'm on 30mg of Armour for my hypo, and have been for, 6 weeks or so)

Last night was particularly bad. I REALLY just wanted to go to sleep. I was so tired - it was midnight and my eyes were closing, but my heart was pounding so hard I couldn't fall asleep. I was actually kind of scared..

My pulse wasn't any faster than usual, but my entire body was throbbing with my heartbeat. There was no pain involved at all either..

I'm having difficulty finding out if this is a symptom of hypothyroidism or not.. I see all over the place about increased blood pressure and stuff like that suggesting hyperthyroidism. And no, I don't have any antibodies.

*sigh* Please someone reassure me here - It's pretty scary when your heart beats that hard. I'm 24 years old and It just seems very bizarre to me to even think I might have a heart problem.

The strange thing is that when I would sit up in bed last night, my heart would actually stop pounding as hard..

My next doctors appointment is June 13th, and I do plan to mention this to her when we go over my next round of thyroid labs..

Thanks everybody - this is kinda scary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
    OraEtLabora
    Veteran
    (female)

OraEtLabora HB User
    Re: pounding heartbeat - please clue me in here..

When I first started on Levoxyl, I had no heart palps. But when my doc added T3 (Cytomel), I experienced rapid palps at night. Then, I switched docs, and he put me on Armour, and the same thing happened. I believe, at least for me, that it was my body getting used to T3 - I had been mis-diagnosed for over 18 years, and so my hypothyroidism was not treated. I think my body just was getting used to having thyroid hormone, mostly T3, because it didn't happen with just T4.

In addition, my EKG around that same time showed an enlarged right atrium. It was still that way about 6 months later, and further heart studies showed the same thing. Don't know, again, if that was due to the addition of T3, (I don't want to scare you at all), or the fact that I had gained over 70 pounds in the 2 years preceeding my dx. I think the heart enlargement is due more to the weight gain from the untreated hypothyroidism, rather than the T3. But I think the pounding was from the T3, because it happened mostly at rest, and at night.

Hope that helps a little.

OraEtLabora

Old 05-30-2005, 05:16 PM   #3
    elggon
    (female)

elggon HB User

I have the same thing when I lay down at night. As far as I know, it is associated w/hypo. A lot of people on this board experience the same thing, so don't be scared I've had it so bad before that I could literally feel my heart pounding in my back! Scary. Hope you feel better soon.

elggon

Old 05-30-2005, 08:35 PM   #4
    inyourdreams
    Veteran

inyourdreams HB User

I experience this only when I have too much T3 in my system. I was at one time up to 75 mcgs of Cytomel and my heart thumped and pounded at night so hard that I couldn't fall asleep. The Dr told me that's definitely too much T3---lowered me to 62.5 mcgs and that was still too much and now I'm on 50 mcgs and I don't have it anymore.

As soon as I mentioned to him that this was happening at night, he said that means you're overmedicated.

HTH

Old 05-30-2005, 08:41 PM   #5
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User

But wouldn't I have other symptoms of being overmedicated?

anxiety? frequent BM's? Headaches? I have nothing even kinda like that..

I'm not saying that couldn't be it - I'm just trying to figure all this out.

Old 05-30-2005, 08:56 PM   #6
    inyourdreams
    Veteran

inyourdreams HB User

I had no other symptoms at all. I noticed nothing during the day. It only happened when my head hit the pillow at night. I could feel it beating in my ears. I had no anxiety, headaches or anything. And that's all I had to tell my Dr was the nighttime pounding and he knew what it was.
    And like you, I'd sit up in bed because it relieved it until I finally fell asleep and could lay back down.

It's very scary. Do you take your medicine in the evening? Maybe try taking it earlier in the day? Are you eating more caffeinated products? I don't know...just trying to think of things that might help you

Old 05-30-2005, 10:49 PM   #7
    lishacklette
    (female)

lishacklette HB User

I have had the same problem. It seems to me that is is from the T3. I never had my heart beating hard when I was only on Synthroid.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:53 AM   #8
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User

I take my meds first thing in the morning.. seems odd it only hits me at night.

I might have one soda during the day - sometimes two.. but that's rare. I don't always have one either. Don't usually have chocolate either.

*sigh* I REALLY don't want this to be because I'm overmedicated.. I didn't do well on 15mg of Armour, it didn't seem like enough.

You know what though? I remember telling my doctor about this before I was medicated... hmm..

Old 05-31-2005, 06:24 AM   #9
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User

Maybe there is just a little too much T3 in Armour for you. Perhaps a decrease in the Armour and then add a little T4 (synthroid) as needed. OR Synthroid and add a little T3 as needed. Just a thought....Also you might read the thread "How did you help your foggy head" where a member posted great info on Armour....

Old 05-31-2005, 06:25 AM   #10
    inyourdreams
    Veteran

inyourdreams HB User

I also had this before I was on medication too. I think it's just a metabolic thing that happens and only settles down when you get on medication and get on the right dose.

I just had this conversation with a friend of mine (who's 72) about how my heart beats outta my chest sometimes and doesn't hers?? She said never.
    So I feel it is a metabolic thing because I know for sure my metabolism is majorly screwed up. That's one of the things the biotester is trying to get into balance for me. Right now I'm on a thyroid flush supplement drop and so far I don't feel a thing from it---which is good I guess.

Are you able to find someone in your area that does biotesting? It might be worth it for you to get it done and see just where your problem is from. They were able to tell me that my heart was being stressed from too much Cytomel---so maybe they'd be able to tell why your heart pounds?

Years ago before I even knew I had a thyroid problem, I had numerous heart tests done and nothing ever showed up. It would thump and jump and sometimes I thought I was gonna die. But it settled down as the years went on (only happens every so often) and now that I'm on thyroid medication it's even better. So that must have been my thyroid all those years causing havoc.

Old 05-31-2005, 06:28 AM   #11
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I had that when hypo until my dose got high enough, Irys. If you have no other hyper symptoms, you may need an increase at this point.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:06 AM   #12
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User

hmm.. perhaps.

At least I get my next round of bloodwork done in the next couple days.. I'll mention it to my doc when I get there on the 13th. I hope you're right Midwest, I'd hate to have to reduce my Armour dose. Talk about what a kick in the pants that would be. Hopefully my doctor doesn't automatically assume I'm overmedicated

Old 05-31-2005, 07:11 AM   #13
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixiek
    Maybe there is just a little too much T3 in Armour for you. Perhaps a decrease in the Armour and then add a little T4 (synthroid) as needed. OR Synthroid and add a little T3 as needed. Just a thought....Also you might read the thread "How did you help your foggy head" where a member posted great info on Armour....
    Hmm.. that's a possibility too. I have a feeling the Armour is still supressing my T4 (it did in my first round of labs) I'm wondering if she'll add some synthroid to compensate for that.

I'll go dig out that thread, thanks!

Old 05-31-2005, 07:47 AM   #14
    BethanyF
    (female)

BethanyF HB User

I also have the heart thumping while on T3 but I also had it when I was only on T4 meds. I was told that your heart will thump like that when your levels are getting ready to change. Mine comes and goes and I have noticed that it goes along with the way I'm feeling which would suggest to me that the level thing is correct. My doc(not the one prescribing the meds) freaked out and said I was over medicated. I don't believe it at all. I don't have any other symptoms of hyper.
    If you are really scared, have it checked out. I couldn't hurt.
    Hang in there.

BethanyF

Closed Thread