It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• test results ok, testosterone low, what does it mean?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
    suzeebell
    (female)

suzeebell HB User
    Question test results ok, testosterone low, what does it mean?

I finally got a full thyroid panel done and here are the results if anyone can help interpret, please do! Some ????'s below....

T-3 Uptake 26 lab range 22-35
    T-4 Free 1.1 lab range .8-1.8
    T-4 Total 8.o lab range 4.5 -12.5
    Free t4 2.1 "" 1.4 -3.8
    TSH .78

FSH and LH are 3.3 BUT....my testosterone is <20 and the range is 20-76.

I am on 60mg of Armour and my dr. gave me a prescription for 25mg of synthroid to take in addition to the Armour, obviously not due to lab results but to symptoms. All my hypo symptoms have returned.

So 2 questions to the veterens here:

Is it ok to mix these two meds, Armour/Synthroid?

What role does testosterone play in thryoid functioning? Is there anything I can do about the testosterone? My doc says to call my gynecologist. He did not run any adrenal or cortisol tests.

Any thoughts/information is most appreciated as I cannot seem to get answers anywhere. Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
    mbcs
    (female)

mbcs HB User
    Re: test results ok, testosterone low, what does it mean?

yes, your testosterone will effect you activity level and mood. I am currently going through thryiod testing with sx for 4yrs......just found out I have ZERO testosterone....I am not will to do pills or shot or even creams (i get hive from everything)...but will try DHEA for about 6wks..

Old 06-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
    RiotGirl00
    (female)

RiotGirl00 HB User

Sorry I don't have an answer to your questions. I don't know anything about this stuff .
    But I wondering, why is it that doctors can't answer these kinds of questions? I mean, if he perscribed those two medications wouldn't he/she know whether it's okay for you to mix them or not?
    I'm really dissatisfied with the recent stuff I've read about doctors being totally clueless about stuff. It's disturbing because I have to go to one next week to find out whether I have a thyroid problem or not. So now I'm worried that I won't have a clue to what my test results are going to be like, what any of it means, and whether I should even trust any doctors when it comes to anything. It seems that all the medications they prescribe only make things worse. Scary!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by suzeebell
    I finally got a full thyroid panel done and here are the results if anyone can help interpret, please do! Some ????'s below....

T-3 Uptake 26 lab range 22-35
    T-4 Free 1.1 lab range .8-1.8
    T-4 Total 8.o lab range 4.5 -12.5
    Free t4 2.1 "" 1.4 -3.8
    TSH .78

FSH and LH are 3.3 BUT....my testosterone is <20 and the range is 20-76.

I am on 60mg of Armour and my dr. gave me a prescription for 25mg of synthroid to take in addition to the Armour, obviously not due to lab results but to symptoms. All my hypo symptoms have returned.

So 2 questions to the veterens here:

Is it ok to mix these two meds, Armour/Synthroid?

What role does testosterone play in thryoid functioning? Is there anything I can do about the testosterone? My doc says to call my gynecologist. He did not run any adrenal or cortisol tests.

Any thoughts/information is most appreciated as I cannot seem to get answers anywhere. Sue

Old 06-01-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User

Hi Suzeebell and welcome: You can add synthroid to Armour, but before you do that you may just want to increase your Armour first. Take a look at the recent thread titled "How have you helped your foggy head" it has some really marvelous info. on Armour and how to take it and so forth. Look back a few days and read through the thread a bit...posting in the thread by KKKittykat. Hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:22 AM   #5
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
    Re: testosterone low, what does it mean?

Suzeebell,

Many of the symptoms of low testosterone in females are similar to those of hypoT; esp. fatigue & mood issues. So your doc is smart (& very up-to-date) to be cking this for you.

Testosterone also plays a role in how the body converts T4 into T3.

OB/GYNs tend to be the docs who look after sex hormone issues.

There is lots of info on the net. You can google "low testosterone" female (use the quotes to pull up the phrase) ... & spend all day!

Not to sell, but test. can be supplemented many diff. ways. I highly recommend, from personal experience, the bio-identical test. you can get (by rx) from a compounding pharmacy, either local or over the internet. Women need only a smidge of testosterone ... I use a tiny dot of a gel a couple of times per week w/great results. Haven't had any trouble w/the masculinizing effects that so often plague women who are rxd the one-size-fits-all tablets. I've had one small container for several yrs. & it's not even half gone, so it's economical. As long as you don't let it get heated, it's very stable.

Good luck!
    Lor

Old 06-02-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
    mbcs
    (female)

mbcs HB User

Lor,

I have zero test. and my TSH 1.53....retesting for all the 3's and 4's and antibodies....all other sex hormones are fine. I declines the shots,pill or the gel and thought I would go for the DHEA....b/c of side effects....in your opinion do you think I should do the gel? I am hoping the test. will help with libido - and exhustion and my mild depression. - any comments?

Old 06-02-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Mbcs,

DHEA may be helpful, but if your testosterone zeroed out, you might get more bang supplementing it directly rather than waiting/hoping for your body to break the DHEA down into test. What does your doc think?

Your doc can order a blood test for DHEA levels. Some people have normal or even high levels of DHEA with low testosterone if the body has a glitch in DHEA metabolism.

IME testosterone has a more dramatic effect on libido than DHEA does. It's easy to OD on the testosterone & get ... well, a kind of crabby related to libido. Good for honeymoons.

I used low dose DHEA (OTC) in perimenopause with good results. But there came a time (my test. level was a 9) when I really appreciated the extra ooomph from the testosterone.

Both test & DHEA should help with energy & mood. If you decide to do both together, I would go very slowly & watch for side effects. Which may mean you need to reduce dosage.

If you decide to try testosterone some time, you can try which ever form suits you best. Some people do better taking a pill. But I would go for the bio-identical rather than synthetic hormones.

I know what you're saying about hives. I've had that experience with topicals myself ... what a shame to have to dump a $60 prescription.

Some compounding pharmacies will give you samples of the base creams or gels so that you can test for sensitivity. The bases are usually the cause of the reaction, not the natural hormones.

Personally, I would not do testosterone shots because they may contain the synthetic form of test. , which is very hard for your body to break down. In addition to the preservatives, etc. that go into the shots. Plus who likes shots if you can get meds some other way?

You can try DHEA first if that is what you want to do. You'll know within a week whether or not it is helping enough. There's always time to change your mind if you want to try testosterone later on.

Good Luck!
    Lor

Old 06-03-2005, 05:15 AM   #8
    mbcs
    (female)

mbcs HB User

lor
    DHEA may be helpful, but if your testosterone zeroed out, you might get more bang supplementing it directly rather than waiting/hoping for your body to break the DHEA down into test. What does your doc think?

Your doc can order a blood test for DHEA levels. Some people have normal or even high levels of DHEA with low testosterone if the body has a glitch in DHEA metabolism.

this is the info I really needed. I was hoping to take the DHEA route but I was unclear how it would become Test.....I need to have additional blood draw and will request that the dr ck my dhea directly. thanks...

I will look into the bio's

Closed Thread