It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Taking Iodine When HypoT

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
    BamaC
    (female)

BamaC HB User
    Question Taking Iodine When HypoT

I believe I read something about the need to avoid iodine supplements if you
    have hypothyroidism. Is that true? I just noticed that my multivitamin contains 150mcg. of iodine USP (from potassium iodide). Is that amount okay? I am currently taking 120 mg. Armour daily.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
    inyourdreams
    Veteran

inyourdreams HB User
    Re: Taking Iodine When HypoT

I am hypo (Hashi's) and I actually take an iodine supplement (Iodoral) 3 times a day WITH my Cytomel (T3). My iodine levels were rock bottom when tested by blood and biotesting. Everybody's bodies are different---but so far for me it hasn't done a thing--either good or bad. My Dr is hoping that the iodine will bring my levels up to par and then I can cut out the Cytomel---the iodine might be all I need to get my thyroid functioning properly. I kinda wish he would have started with the iodine first though, instead of putting me on a prescription medicine.

Old 06-22-2005, 02:36 PM   #3
    BamaC
    (female)

BamaC HB User

Inyourdreams, what is it called when you're hypo but not Hashi? That what I am. Does that make a difference in regards to iodine?

Old 06-22-2005, 04:31 PM   #4
    inyourdreams
    Veteran

inyourdreams HB User

I'm far from knowing exactly the difference in the two---but Hashi's is an autoimmune disease where your thyroid attacks itself and eventually dies. Hypo, I believe, is just a low functioning thyroid.

A friend of mine that is hypo without the antibodies also takes the same amount of Iodoral that I do. But she also visits the same Dr that I do too.

I guess it just depends on the type of Dr you visit and what they believe in as far as treatment goes for different things. When my Dr gave me the Iodoral he told me to pay attention to see if I felt the same hyper symptoms like when I was on too much T3----he said that if I did, he'd lower or take me off the Cytomel completely to see if just the Iodine works for the function of my thyroid. I haven't had any symptoms like that yet, so maybe I need more, or maybe I'm at the right amount.

I go in two weeks to find out what my thyroid numbers are (from back in Nov. when first tested). So it should turn out to be an interesting visit.
    This will be when I ream him out for telling me that Cytomel was gonna make me drop 50 pounds. I've been on it since November---gained 15 the first 6 weeks and haven't lost but 5 of those first 15 I gained. I'm thinkin' I need some sort of T4 to make me lose, but then again, what do I know? As long as I feel good (and believe me I feel GREAT), I guess I'll live with these 50 pounds a little longer until he gets me adjusted correctly.

I just went out and got my bottle of Iodoral. 1 tablet contains 12.5 mg of iodine/iodide. 5 mg of iodine (which is potassium salt) and 7.5 of iodide. I don't know the conversions but mcg's are smaller than mg's---not sure what 150 mcg's would be equal to. Maybe you can ask your pharmacist.

Like I said, I don't know a whole lot--but I do know your thyroid needs iodine to function properly. If you're low, maybe an iodine supplement is all you need? Better check with your Dr.

Closed Thread