It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• my thyroid experience and suggestions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2005, 01:03 PM   #1
    limbu
    (female)

limbu HB User
    my thyroid experience and suggestions

Sorry everyone, I know there's a thread already out with personal stories, but I couldn't find the button to reply (maybe a problem with my browser?)

I have not read all of the messages. so I"m just going to throw out what crossed my mind when I read a few...
    I've been suffering from undiagnosed severe hypothyroidism since i was 17 for sure. I'm 20 now. Thinking back I am certain that I've had a problem since I was 14 or 15. My TSH count was up to 160 when I finally was diagnosed, and I'm now on levothyroxine 112mcg. Every symptom you could possibly think of, I had it. I am reaching normal again, yet sometimes I'm still having my bad days when the medicine just doesn't seem sufficient. The depression has not completely receded and I still have phases of it, although much less frequent). I do believe that there is alot of emotional scarring involved in having a thyroid problem for so long and dealing with the depression, anxiety, feeling isolated, feeling alone, suicidal, losing memory, fogginess, losing self-esteem and confidence. It seems that much of the healing after the hormone replacement needs to come from within because unless they've had a thyroid problem, other people cannot understand and support their loved ones that have a thyroid disorder. Anyway, aside from that, I've done alot of reading and also from my own experiences I have found that most people that still don't feel completely back to normal after taking synthroid or levothyroxine (synthetic hormone replacement) should try more natural hormone replacement. Armor thyroid is one of the options. I've heard many accounts from people feeling much better after trying armor. here are some of the few things i would recommend as well:

1. for those who are hypothyroid, especially because of autoimmune reasons, i strongly recommend getting food allergy testing done. i've realize more and more that by changing the foods we eat, we can greatly improve our well-being. some bodies need more of some substances in food than others. whenever our body reacts to some foods in a negative way, it also backfires on our thyroid deficiency. Some foods inhibit thyroid function, and others support it. we can avoid alot of additional damage done to our thyroid by eating the right things.

2. create an environment that keeps you mentally sound. try to separate yourself from your feelings the minute you feel the onset of depression or emotional disturbance. remind yourself as you're going through it that it is not you, it is the thyroid imbalance that is making you feel this way. remind yourself that you are not a deficient or disturbed human being, you are normal. things are just not working properly as they should at the moment in your body, but it is temporary. like i said, people around you don't understand, and they never completely will. But try to be around people who at least try to understand. Stay around the people that you care about andt hat care about you. Keep your life organized, and disciplined enough to avoid regret, procrastination, and whatever else keeps you from what you want and what makes you happy. It seems like such a cliche thing to say, but face it, for those of us already on the brink of "madness" or depression, our emotional and mental health is more delicate than others. We should avoid anything that could possibly make it worse. If anyone has not read the book "The Thyroid Solution" by Ridha Arem (sp?), I suggest you do right away. She's got more sense and compassion for fellow human being than half the doctors I've been around. She's got it right when she says that the more you stay upset, stressed, depressed, the worse you will feel and the more you will compound your thryoid problem.

Sometimes even if your Thyroid levels are normal, you are still experiencing depression. If it Is severe enough, you might consider taking something for depression. Sometimes you might have had a preexisting depression that caused your thyroid to dysfunction in the first place.

3. Try new things, and educate yourself as much as possible. Know the long term as well as the short term consequences of your condition, the medications you are taking, and your lifestyle. Doctors are EXACTLY like people who are not doctors, except that they have more knowledge in a particular area. Make yourself an expert on your own body and the things in your environment that affect it, so that you can be on the same level of understanding as your doctor when he/she is diagnosing and prescribing for you. Certain doctors are taught a certain way, so they will always try to cure you through the only means that they know of. But there is so much more out there beyond the family practitioners, endocrinologists, and internal medicine doctors that most of us see the majority of the time. there are so many alternative solutions to our problems that are not just handed to us by conventional medicine.
    [url]www.holisticonline.com[/url] is one of my favorite websites. Even if you don't believe in all forms of alternative medicines, you can at least learn about them and try out the ones that make sense to you to test your own theories on them.

4. Again, those of us with thyroid deficiency have a harder time losing weight, keeping stamina, and are prone to shortness of breath and fatigue when exercising. So exercise is even more important to us than others. Keep this in mind in everything you do. Be as aware of your body as possible. Do exercises that loosen your muscles and increase blood flow and relaxation such as yoga, Pilates, stretching, fast-pace walking as opposed to doing only weights. Weights build muscle but also tighten them. Try to avoid being tense and keeping your muscles tense. You want as much blood flow to all areas of the body as possible. Make sure your circulatory system is healthy *cholesterol levels, blood pressure*. When you're deficient of thyroid hormone, your body retains more cholesterol and you are prone to more heart disorders later on in life. make sure your nervous system is in order. Avoid sleeping in such a way and performing exercises and physical activities that might affect your joints, spine or muscles. Pinched nerves can only make things worse, and damaging your nervous system, as we all know, is irreversible damage. I suggest going to a chiropractor or consider physical therapy if you have the slightest inclination that any of your joints or back are not in optimal condition. I've been to both, and I've learned certain exercises and proper way to sleep that has helped a lot for many problems I've had with my neck. The reason I bring up something that seems a bit far removed from thyroid, is for two reasons; 1. long-terms effects of thyroid deficiency includes damage to nervous system 2. I’ve met people whose thyroid condition was worse than it should have been because the had problems in their spine in their neck that prevented the nerves supplying the thyroid to work as well. As soon as they were adjusted by the chiropractor or had their spinal problems fixed, their thyroid condition began to improve.

5. Get other hormone levels checked. Especially for post-menopausal women, your progesterone levels have a great effect on your thyroid hormone production. But even if you're a young woman and are experiencing a low or high thyroid, get your progesterone levels checked. This is not something I've done yet, but I have an appointment next week to do so. If you have corrected your thyroid problem but your menstrual cycle is still not regular, it is possible you have an imbalance in other hormonal levels. I do not know enough about the relationship between progesterone and thyroid hormone, to confidently explain what I'm talking about here, but I do know from many doctors and a compounding pharmacist who deals with mostly hormone replacement that there is a strong relationship between the two.

For women, pay close attention to your reproductive system. Thyroid level deficiencies can affect pregnancy/fertility. It can also affect your child as well if you are hypothyroid during pregnancy. Pregnant women’s hormones are very different from when they’re not pregnant, so their thyroid can be affected by the changing hormone levels, and vice versa. Be careful to keep close watch on all hormone levels during this time.

6. Find a doctor that checks your T4 and T3 levels, aside from TSH. This is very important because in the pathway in which your body produces and uses thyroid, the problem can lie anywhere between your hypothalamus, your pituitary, your thyroid organ itself in T4 production, or in the T4 to T3 conversion.

And last but not least...

7. Never stop looking for answers. There are reasons why our thyroid changed the way it would normally function. The doctors might give some answers, but we know our bodies best. We also know our lifestyle, and what major changes in some aspect of our life might have caused chain reactions to affect our physical health. Ultimately the goal should not be to suppress the symptoms, but to correct the problem. Although I have not been able to find my answers yet, I sincerely believe and have hope that one day I will.

These are all things that I have come to believe through experience and self-teachings. I know there are alot of additional things that I do not yet know, and many things I mentioned here that I probably still don't know enough about so if anyone has any additional information that could possible add or correct what I have said, do enlighten us.
    I hope this helps other people, and that I can learn enough from others to encourage me and help me as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to limbu For This Useful Post:
    ande778 (12-25-2011),LibbyWinkler (01-28-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User
    Re: my thyroid experience and suggestions

Great information and thanks for taking the time to post it

Old 07-04-2005, 08:50 AM   #3
    inyourdreams
    Veteran

inyourdreams HB User
    Re: my thyroid experience and suggestions

I agree with a lot of what you say here. I have recently had another biotesting done and it seems that the mercury and silver in my teeth is what's blocking my thyroid from working properly. I have a dental consult in September to find out exactly what's going on with my fillings. I'll then have to find a bio-dentist to take them out and replace them with white fillings. This is all something I don't want to do----so the biotester has given me a heavy metal detoxification drop and if that doesn't work, then we know for sure it's the fillings causing my problems.

Speaking of having a healthy circulatory system--I also have problems with lymph drainage....so am on Cat's Claw to see if that will help some of that and for my liver cleansing. Cat's Claw is supposed to help with a lot of problems, including female problems, etc.

It is hard somedays to keep your chin up regarding thyroid and other problems, but at least holistically I feel as though I'm headed in the right direction. A healthy attitude I believe helps a lot to get you in the right direction. Somedays I have it, somedays I don't.

Closed Thread