It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Help...awful pounding heart all night long

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2005, 08:04 AM   #1
    Jo-chan
    (female)

Jo-chan HB User
    Help...awful pounding heart all night long

Last night I had a lot of trouble falling asleep because my heart was pounding in my chest. I did get to sleep eventually, but I woke up a dozen times between then and this morning, and each time my heart was still pounding. It scared the crap out of me.

I didn't take any more Armour yesterday than I normally do, but I did have a cup of coffee after dinner and it was fresh coffee that DH brought home for me. This morning I only took half of my normal AM dose of Armour and again, my heart was pounding a half hour later. I had a cup of the new coffee with breakfast...maybe this fresh coffee has a lot of caffeine and is causing the heart pounding?

I have coffee every day and it's never caused any problems, but the coffee I was drinking up until yesterday was kind of old, so that's why I suspect the new coffee may to be blame. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2005, 09:07 AM   #2
    BamaC
    (female)

BamaC HB User
    Re: Help...awful pounding heart all night long

Jo-chan, have you recently increased your dosage? At the end of May, my dosage was doubled from 60mg. to 120 mg. At first there were no problems, but then at about two weeks my pulse became very fast, 110-120. This lasted about two weeks and has since decreased to upper 80's or low 90's. I never experienced heavy thudding, but I understand that a lot of the people on this board have when upping their meds. I gather from what I've read here that this is just your body adjusting to the new dosage. I'm sure you'll hear from others more knowledgeable than I about this. Like you, I'm a coffee drinker and that really doesn't help. Have you tried leaving off the "new coffee"? Perhaps it's a lot stronger than what you were drinking? I know how frightening the increased pulse was and know a pounding heart must be even worse, but try to stay calm(easy for me to say, huh?). It's a vicious cycle. Your heart starts pounding, naturally you get scared and tense, and it pounds even worse. Oh, by the way, do you split your dosage? ( something else I learned here.) That way all that T3 isn't dumped into your system at once. I've found that really helps me. Good luck to you. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:59 AM   #3
    Jo-chan
    (female)

Jo-chan HB User

Thanks for replying, BamaC. Yes, I did increase my dosage about a week ago. I didn't realize that my body might still be adjusting to the increase at this point, but from what you said that seems very possible. And of course the coffee may have something to do with it, too.

And yes, I do split my dosage up into three parts...which seemed to be working well until last night! Because I was so freaked out after my heart started pounding again this morning, I skipped my afternoon dose. I'm afraid to take any more Armour and I'm afraid to drink any more coffee. Argh.

Thanks for the prayers. I sure need them.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:36 AM   #4
    grahamjac
    (male)

grahamjac HB User

sorry for jumping on your post Jo-chan but is Armour for people who are hyper ??

Just wondering cos when i was first diagnsed with Hyperthyroid (graves disease) my heart used to beat at 117 bpm and felt like it was coming out of my chest , especailly at night time when i went to bed.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #5
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User

grahamjac - no.. Armour is typically given to people that are hypo.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:08 AM   #6
    grahamjac
    (male)

grahamjac HB User

ahh right, thank you irys. I thought it was like wearing armour against the thyroid hormone :S sorry

Old 07-07-2005, 11:18 AM   #7
    Changedusername
    Inactive
    (male)

Changedusername HB User

Try a 50/50 mix of the strong stuff and decaf and see how that works for you.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:41 AM   #8
    Jo-chan
    (female)

Jo-chan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nastyhashi
    Try a 50/50 mix of the strong stuff and decaf and see how that works for you.
    I will definitely do that. Thanks!

Old 07-08-2005, 12:21 AM   #9
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User

Hi, thought I add my 2 cents! The pounding heart...ah, yes. I got this recently with my upped armour and I only upped it a bit and it took several days for this symptom to kick in. I tried my beta blockers once, but it didn't really help. I tried, just last night, magnesium and calcium supplement....I cannot swallow those elephant pills so I crushed them, put it in water and drank it. NOW it may just be coincidence, but by golly the heart calmed down! I did read something somewhere about this supplement and heart...anyway, I hear (only hear) that you can give it time and it will calm down. In my case I decided to try just a bit more, but I have other "hyper" symptoms as well so I don't know yet. Anyway the magnesium may work....?!

Old 07-08-2005, 11:47 AM   #10
    Jo-chan
    (female)

Jo-chan HB User

Thanks, pixiek. I have some calcium/magnesium supplements so I'll give it a shot. Also, maybe this wasn't the best thing to do but, I backed off on my dosage some and that's helped. And I didn't make my coffee quite as strong today.

Last edited by Jo-chan; 07-08-2005 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Hope nobody saw my bad spelling before I edited this.

Old 07-08-2005, 05:13 PM   #11
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User

Bad spelling is a sign of hypo...or at least I like to think so!

Old 07-09-2005, 10:09 AM   #12
    Jo-chan
    (female)

Jo-chan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixiek
    Bad spelling is a sign of hypo...or at least I like to think so!
    He he!
    I blame my clumsiness on hypo, too. I'm always hitting my arms on doorknobs.

Old 07-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #13
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User

How is the pounding? I have to join your heart pounding in the night group. I had a bad one last night...awake almost all night with rabid pulse and heart beat (fast for me is 80 but enough to keep me awake) . I already cut down from 2 1/3 to 21/4 and wondering if I need to cut more....did the magesium help? It only helped me that first time a while back...not last night!

Last edited by pixiek; 07-09-2005 at 04:38 PM.

Old 07-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #14
    Jo-chan
    (female)

Jo-chan HB User

Nope, the mag/cal didn't seem to make a difference. Backing off on my dosage did, though. I was at 2 1/2 grains and am now back down to 1 1/2 and seems like that's all I need right now because the pounding is gone and I feel OK. DH suggested that maybe my thyroid has started to respond and now with its help, I don't need to take quite as much. I'm not sure what to think.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad night. Hopefully it will be the last time, ne? Maybe you do need to cut your dosage some more...it might be worth a try, anyway. Let me know how it goes.

Closed Thread