It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• New Here...(introduction - May have a thyroid disorder)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
    karihager1982
    (female)

karihager1982 HB User
    New Here...(introduction - May have a thyroid disorder)

Hello all

My name is Kari (I'm 22 yrs old) and I am coming to this board because I may have a possible thyroid disorder. I am looking to find out more information about thyroids, and meet others who know about this condition. Sorry this may be a little long, but thanks for reading.

For starters, thyroid disorders run in my family. My Grandmother on my mother's side of the family had 6 children. 5 out of the 6 have thyroid problems, which they take daily medication for. My one aunt actually has a lot of problems with her thyroid from what I remember. She has had lots of biopsies and they have to monitor her regularly. I also have two cousins who take daily medication to control their thyroids. My mother also has a hypoactive thyroid.

What led me to believe that I may have a thyroid disorder is a combination of things, but weight gain was the first key. I was always over weight growing up. When I was about 16 yrs old I weighed 240 lbs. Within 2-3 months, I ended up losing weight (not by my own will) and got down to 195 lbs. There was no explanation as to why I lost the weight. My eating habits did not change, nor did I increase exercise. My mother said that I was just growing up, and I would start ‘thinning out’.

I believed this until I was 17 yrs old. That’s when I started gaining weight again. Within one year, I had gained 100 lbs!!! Still, not changing my eating habits, or exercise habits. I blamed myself. My parents kept telling me not to eat this, or that, but in reality, I had changed nothing. Now that I have gained all this weight, I cannot get it off. And if I do lose a few lbs…they seem to come right back.

I have also have many changes in my monthly cycles, severe mood swings (from happy to sad in a matter of minutes), a severe drop in my libido (which is putting a strain on my relationship with my fiancé’ who I’ve been with for 7 years now.) I have memory loss that is apparent to me everyday, I get numbness in my hands, and sometimes my feet.

My body is also very sensitive to temperatures. Sometimes I will get very hot, for no reason. Then I will turn a fan on to cool me off, but then I get cold very quickly and I get bad stomach cramps and start feeling sick. But then when I turn the fan off, I get extremely hot again. It’s like there is no comfort level for me! I've also noticed I get stomach cramps if I run my hands under cold water. Swimming in an un-heated pool is hard for me too because the temps cause my stomach to cramp up and make me feel sick. There are also times in the car with the air conditioner on. The cold will make my stomach cramp, so I have to roll down the windows, or turn the heat on my until the feeling goes away.

I have also developed anxiety, which I’ve noticed over the last 4 years. My hands get very shaky for no reason. Sometimes I feel like my entire body is shaking. This is hard for me to deal with, because I’ve never had it before. I get anxious over things for no reason what-so-ever. At times it makes you feel as if you are going crazy.

I also have a lot of facial flushness. Normally this happens if you are ‘blushing’ or shy, but mine usually happens when I am anxious, and sometimes happens for no reason. Sometimes I will look in the mirror, and there are these yucky red blotches.

There are many other things going on that would indicate a Thyroid disorder, but I’ll discuss those later.

So to continue - last year (2004) I decided to go to a general doctor to get a complete check-up, including having the doctor check my thyroid. Several weeks later, after I called for the results, I was informed that my diabetes, and thyroid tests were 'normal' but my cholesterol was elevated. That doctor never told me what my numbers were, and I was too ignorant to ask.

After my experience with that doctor - I decided not to go back to him.

So this past June (2005) I decided that I should go to the doctor and get another complete check-up, including my thyroid. I searched on the internet, and discovered that I should be going to an endocrinologist, as they deal with medical problems, such as thyroids, obesity, etc…

While I was there, my doctor was checking in my neck region. I noticed several times that he kept going back, and checking my neck (which the previous doctor never did). He checked it once while I was laying down, once while I was sitting, and once while I was standing. He told me that my thyroid is enlarged.

He wrote me out a prescription for a ‘Thyroid Uptake Scan’ and one for a ‘Thyroid Therapy’. I called and scheduled an appointment for the uptake scan on August the 11th. They told me that the ‘Thyroid Therapy’ prescription was written for if they find something wrong with my thyroid.

I am a little nervous about going. I am the type of person who usually avoids going to the doctor for anything. They did explain to me that I would come in the morning and take a pill. Then come back in the afternoon for a scan. Then the following morning, I would come back for one more scan. I’m assuming that none of this is going to hurt, but I guess I just don’t know what to expect.

I do understand that there are different types of thyroid disorders. Hypo & Hyper. Are there others types as well?

And to those with Hypo or Hyper active thyroids, how did you feel after your thyroid was under control? How do you feel physically and emotionally?

Well – I suppose that I’d better get going. I didn’t mean to make a book out of this post…lol.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and reply. I really appreciate it, and I truly look forward to getting to know many of you here!

- Kari

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2005, 04:34 PM   #2
    bulldog101598
    (male)

bulldog101598 HB User
    Re: New Here...(introduction - May have a thyroid disorder)

My advice to you is to get an immediate referral to an endocrinologist. The endo should request new bloodwork including TSH, FT4, FT3, TPO Ab, and TSI. The results of these tests may or may not indicate the need for a scan.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by karihager1982
    Hello all

My name is Kari (I'm 22 yrs old) and I am coming to this board because I may have a possible thyroid disorder. I am looking to find out more information about thyroids, and meet others who know about this condition. Sorry this may be a little long, but thanks for reading.

For starters, thyroid disorders run in my family. My Grandmother on my mother's side of the family had 6 children. 5 out of the 6 have thyroid problems, which they take daily medication for. My one aunt actually has a lot of problems with her thyroid from what I remember. She has had lots of biopsies and they have to monitor her regularly. I also have two cousins who take daily medication to control their thyroids. My mother also has a hypoactive thyroid.

What led me to believe that I may have a thyroid disorder is a combination of things, but weight gain was the first key. I was always over weight growing up. When I was about 16 yrs old I weighed 240 lbs. Within 2-3 months, I ended up losing weight (not by my own will) and got down to 195 lbs. There was no explanation as to why I lost the weight. My eating habits did not change, nor did I increase exercise. My mother said that I was just growing up, and I would start ‘thinning out’.

I believed this until I was 17 yrs old. That’s when I started gaining weight again. Within one year, I had gained 100 lbs!!! Still, not changing my eating habits, or exercise habits. I blamed myself. My parents kept telling me not to eat this, or that, but in reality, I had changed nothing. Now that I have gained all this weight, I cannot get it off. And if I do lose a few lbs…they seem to come right back.

I have also have many changes in my monthly cycles, severe mood swings (from happy to sad in a matter of minutes), a severe drop in my libido (which is putting a strain on my relationship with my fiancé’ who I’ve been with for 7 years now.) I have memory loss that is apparent to me everyday, I get numbness in my hands, and sometimes my feet.

My body is also very sensitive to temperatures. Sometimes I will get very hot, for no reason. Then I will turn a fan on to cool me off, but then I get cold very quickly and I get bad stomach cramps and start feeling sick. But then when I turn the fan off, I get extremely hot again. It’s like there is no comfort level for me! I've also noticed I get stomach cramps if I run my hands under cold water. Swimming in an un-heated pool is hard for me too because the temps cause my stomach to cramp up and make me feel sick. There are also times in the car with the air conditioner on. The cold will make my stomach cramp, so I have to roll down the windows, or turn the heat on my until the feeling goes away.

I have also developed anxiety, which I’ve noticed over the last 4 years. My hands get very shaky for no reason. Sometimes I feel like my entire body is shaking. This is hard for me to deal with, because I’ve never had it before. I get anxious over things for no reason what-so-ever. At times it makes you feel as if you are going crazy.

I also have a lot of facial flushness. Normally this happens if you are ‘blushing’ or shy, but mine usually happens when I am anxious, and sometimes happens for no reason. Sometimes I will look in the mirror, and there are these yucky red blotches.

There are many other things going on that would indicate a Thyroid disorder, but I’ll discuss those later.

So to continue - last year (2004) I decided to go to a general doctor to get a complete check-up, including having the doctor check my thyroid. Several weeks later, after I called for the results, I was informed that my diabetes, and thyroid tests were 'normal' but my cholesterol was elevated. That doctor never told me what my numbers were, and I was too ignorant to ask.

After my experience with that doctor - I decided not to go back to him.

So this past June (2005) I decided that I should go to the doctor and get another complete check-up, including my thyroid. I searched on the internet, and discovered that I should be going to an endocrinologist, as they deal with medical problems, such as thyroids, obesity, etc…

While I was there, my doctor was checking in my neck region. I noticed several times that he kept going back, and checking my neck (which the previous doctor never did). He checked it once while I was laying down, once while I was sitting, and once while I was standing. He told me that my thyroid is enlarged.

He wrote me out a prescription for a ‘Thyroid Uptake Scan’ and one for a ‘Thyroid Therapy’. I called and scheduled an appointment for the uptake scan on August the 11th. They told me that the ‘Thyroid Therapy’ prescription was written for if they find something wrong with my thyroid.

I am a little nervous about going. I am the type of person who usually avoids going to the doctor for anything. They did explain to me that I would come in the morning and take a pill. Then come back in the afternoon for a scan. Then the following morning, I would come back for one more scan. I’m assuming that none of this is going to hurt, but I guess I just don’t know what to expect.

I do understand that there are different types of thyroid disorders. Hypo & Hyper. Are there others types as well?

And to those with Hypo or Hyper active thyroids, how did you feel after your thyroid was under control? How do you feel physically and emotionally?

Well – I suppose that I’d better get going. I didn’t mean to make a book out of this post…lol.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and reply. I really appreciate it, and I truly look forward to getting to know many of you here!

- Kari

Old 07-14-2005, 07:05 AM   #3
    karihager1982
    (female)

karihager1982 HB User

Hello Bulldog

Thanks for the reply. I already went to an endo in June and he did do blood work, and at the same time wanted me to get the Thyroid Uptake Scan.

I wonder why he would have me get the scan, when he had just taken my blood? I'm not complaining though, atleast he is sending me.

I've noticed for several months now that if I move my head a particular way, I can feel some sort of lump on the right side of my neck, and I noticed that's the area that he was focusing on when he was feeling my neck.

We'll see what happens though. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!
    - Kari

Old 07-14-2005, 07:59 PM   #4
    titus8
    (female)

titus8 HB User

Hi, I thought I was the only one that had the facial flushing, I would have never thought it had anything to do with the thyroid until I read your message. It seems like I blush for everything! I am 25 years old and have had hypothroidism for the past 3 years. I can also relate to the anxiety, I never had a problem with anxiety until I developed the hypothyroidism. They tried to put me on Zoloft for it, but I learned to control it on my own. I felt worse on the Zoloft

Old 07-15-2005, 02:46 PM   #5
    orchic
    (female)

orchic HB User

Hi and welcome to the board! I have the facial flushing too (since my teenage years) I'm 30 now, and I never thought about it! I've been diagnosed for 2 months. The thyroid scan doesn't hurt, its helpful for checking out any kind of lumps on the thyroid as well as confirming whatever tests results you get from your blood work. Thyroid scans can also detect areas of the thyroid that are working too hard or not enough. Cold spots on a scan can even indicate cancer....so the endo is just covering all the bases.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:06 AM   #6
    karihager1982
    (female)

karihager1982 HB User

I'm glad to hear that the scan will not hurt. I wasn't really sure what to expect - but I have been trying to do some reading about it.

I'm also glad that my Endo is covering everything. I always felt that I had a thyroid problem, but I could never get any other doctor to look into it, or do anything about it.

I just can't wait to get the results so I know what is going on.

Closed Thread