It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Ultrasound of enlarged thyroid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2005, 10:29 PM   #1
    Zagboo

Zagboo HB User
    Ultrasound of enlarged thyroid

3 wks ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroid. Endo doc commented that my thyroid was pretty large after feeling it. Later in the visit commented that he wanted to do an ultrasound of it at the next visit possibly (in about 5 weeks) saying he just wanted to see what was going on in there. I think he also mentioned that I shouldn't worry its not cancer, or maybe he said its unlikely to be cancer. I can't remember which.

Oh, I need to mention I take Lithium, although my thyroid seemed to be going hypo prior to starting Lithium.

So, what could be going thru his mind? I don't know much about this stuff, so any and all info is appreciated.

Z

Last edited by Zagboo; 07-19-2005 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention I take Lithium

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 09:55 AM   #2
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User
    Re: Ultrasound of enlarged thyroid

Hi Z,
    The ultrasound will show the size of the thyroid and whether or not it is enlarged adn whether or not you might have thyroid nodules. I have nodules. It is quite common and only 5% of the time are they cancerous. But it is prudent to have the ultrasound and see if there are nodules so they can be checked out and monitored. In my case, the nodules were the cause of my hypo symtpoms and I got really sick before they were discovered. I"m doing a lot better now though. Sometimes the thyroid gland itself if just enlarged without having nodules - they call that goiter - and usually can use synthroid or something like that to help shrink it so it's more comfortable again....So that is my experience. Hope that helps.....
    Best wishes,
    Kathy

Closed Thread