It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• What's your update on Armour?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2005, 04:52 AM   #1
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User
    What's your update on Armour?

Well, for me, on armour totally for about 3 1/2 months and I ended up on two grains and a bit more a few weeks ago only to discover that it was a bit too much at this point! Hyper symptoms (or adrenal problems) and labs with FT4 and FT3 out of the ranges. Still I did not feel well. A ferritin test that showed 12 on a scale of 12-300 gave a clue that I needed to do some work here as low ferritin can cause intollerence to thyroid meds and can also mimic hypo symptoms. I will take also a saliva test for adreneal fatigue....perhaps another clue to the puzzle....

I am holding at 1.5 grains now and feeling better in the sense the hyper symptoms have gone, but now the hypo symptoms are coming back...I feel quite tired right now, but I will see a holistic doctor in the States on my trip in a few days and perhaps he can offer some insight.

I still enjoy feeling better in the evening...this is what often get me through the day just knowing by 4 or so I will feel better. How is everyone else doing?

Last edited by pixiek; 07-22-2005 at 04:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2005, 05:25 AM   #2
    irys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

irys HB User
    Re: What's your update on Armour?

I'm doing pretty lousy over here :\ Very fatigued.. very headfoggy.. daily headaches.. bad headspace.. just.. lousy.

Ready for my armour dose to be upped from my teensy 60mg. It's killing me.

Last edited by irys; 07-22-2005 at 05:25 AM.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:20 AM   #3
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

Well, Pix I had to switch to Synthroid until I have surgery. I was feeling GREAT on the Armour except that I did gain 12 pounds on it. But, I was ready to put on some weight in order to feel normal. Now, on the synthroid I am sooooooooooooooo tired. I am doing the same as you, waiting til around 4 to feel better. Wonder why it takes all day?

I know the switch could have made me feel lousy. I think I am feeling a teensy bit better today. The last few days I didn't even have the energy to get a cup of coffee til I had been up for about 2 hours. I cannot live like that.

My new dr is fine with Armour and said after surgery he would be glad to let me try it again. We will see what happens. I lost 9 pounds in the first 4 days I was on the Synthroid. Now, I feel bloated again. Oh well!

Karen

Old 07-22-2005, 07:43 AM   #4
    inyourdreams
    Veteran

inyourdreams HB User

I added Armour (15 mgs) this past Monday to my 9 month long treatment of Cytomel and I've been feeling rather "normal". That's even weird to say because I haven't known what normal is for the past 15 years. My panic is (knock on wood) gone. I am able to do things that just last year I would fret over.

I am down a couple of pounds since Monday---which Cytomel made me gain in the beginning, so maybe a touch of T4 is all I needed? I am supposed to up it to 30mg's Monday and then up another 15mg's the next Monday---then by then I'm hoping to back down some of the Cytomel (I'm currently on 50 mcg's).

It's very strange having to control your life with the maneuvering around of drugs just to survive the day. I no longer have the afternoon sleepys, I sleep like the dead at night--right now life is pretty darn good for me.

Now if I get up tomorrow and am up 3 pounds, look out---I'm gonna be ticked!!!!

Old 07-22-2005, 08:27 AM   #5
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

Inyourdreams,
    I am thinking that since you and I both had weight gain with t3 and then weight loss with t4 it is the t4 that controls the weight? Oh, it is soooo confusing! I think with the armour I was feeling so good but maybe needed more t4 since I was gaining?

It is hard to make your whole day go by how you can plan your pills. Nobody can understand this unless they live it. Now, I see what my poor grandma had to go through. I wish she were still here so I could tell her about it and ask her questions.

I hope your 3 pounds stays far, far away!

Karen

Old 07-22-2005, 08:48 AM   #6
    inyourdreams
    Veteran

inyourdreams HB User

Hi Karen,

I hope it stays away too and takes about another 47 with it

My Dr's tell me that T3 is what makes your metabolism shift into high gear--that you don't even need T4, but after 9 months of telling them that my weight will not change no matter what, I finally got him to add the Armour. He didn't fight me on it, I think he just gave it to me to shut me up. Which that's ok too---if I lose weight, I'll be the quietest patient he's ever seen
    Adding more T4 wouldn't be beneficial would it?? Doesn't it just convert into T3? This is what confuses me. If I have a pill that is partially T3 and T4 and I'm adding extra T3---would I not be burning heavily?? Because it all gets turned into T3 anyway.

I do admit--these holistic Dr's have fixed me up in a lot of ways----but it's funny, the only thing I went into their office for was because I couldn't lose weight. And it's the last thing that's coming. That is IF it comes.

I have been doing exceptionally well on my food plan---eating my meal replacement shakes twice a day with only veggies and protein otherwise. But last night it was about 140 degrees here and our power went out, so I took my son out for an ice cream. I normally pass, but it was so hot and I thought what the heck. So instead of having a small, little cone---I had this HUGE chocolate peanut butter (waffle cone besides) and was scared to death to step on the scale this morning. I just kept telling myself---don't worry about it, you deserve a treat after months of being good. And I didn't gain an ounce!! That is totally weird for me. The ice cream stand didn't have electric either, so they were selling buy 1 get 1 free so that cone was LOADED to the top. Mmmmmmm so good going down though.

Ok, enough of that....my mouth's watering.

Oh, ok---I wanted to get to my point. My grandma (who's 93 and still doing great) had a goiter removed--probably 40+ years ago and is still not on any medicine. Sorry to say, she doesn't really know me now, so I can't get any information about her condition and my mother is in denial about everything----even that she was on synthroid herself and "it did nothing but make my throat swell shut"---so apparently this thyroid thing runs in my family.

Yeah and besides taking thyroid pills, I'm on about 6 other supplements for adrenal fatigue, seratonin, carb digestion, etc. My day is full of pills---but hey, whatever it takes to get me there, right? I would do anything not to have panic anymore.

Take care

Old 07-22-2005, 10:21 AM   #7
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

Thyroid runs in my family too. Every female on my Mom's side has some problem. It is either graves or hashi's. My grandmother's sister had her;s out due to the fact it wouldn't quit growing.

I take a WHOLE bunch of pills myself, geez, I look at them all and wonder what I will do in 10 years! I am only 41, what if I am 71, will I have no free time because it will always be time to take a pill?

I lost 60 pounds with hashi's, so figure that one out! hahaha Hey, I am not complaining though, but it sure was stumper for the dr's for years. Who cares, the weight is gone and I am diagnosed finally.

Do you take any scripts for panic or just natural? I am not on any meds anymore except for xanax, but I only take it once a day, sometimes twice if I feel that "feeling" in the pit of my stomach. I know it all came about because of this nasty disease.

Hey, I hope you are going down on the scale. Don't worry about the ice cream! You have to have a treat once in a while or you won't make it! I treat myself occasionally, usually once a week I will eat something bad and I still go out to eat, just eat different. I lost the 60 and have kept it off. Now, since starting thyroid meds I have had this 12 pounds of weight that comes and goes all in a week all the time. It usre is confusing and hard as heck. My mother in law has the same thing..........goes up in weight by 7 pounds over night then 5 or 6 the next night and then a few days later she will be down 15 pounds. I guess these nodules can hyper funciton on certain days. That is my thought anyway.

Have a great weekend and don't beat yourself up over that cone. I think I will have to go out and get one now it sounded so good.

Karen

Old 07-22-2005, 11:07 AM   #8
    inyourdreams
    Veteran

inyourdreams HB User

Just be sure to get the waffle cone, mmmm that makes it.

I don't take anything for anxiety currently. Years ago, I would take Xanax (only 1/2 pill) whenever I knew something panicky was gonna come up. I would fight it so that I wouldn't get addicted to them. Those things are like magic pills for me, and I could easily be addicted to them, so I only took them when I HAD to.

For some reason--maybe it's that my chemistry is balanced, but I don't have the problem anymore. I was even able to ride in my friends car last weekend and panic never hit me once. I even thought at one point--"I am so proud of myself, I'm not even panicking!" And smiled inside my heart---it was a great feeling. Too bad I couldn't share it with others who just don't get it.

I will be 39 in a couple months and just said the same thing to my hubby last week. What am I gonna do when I'm 70? Will I still be doing the holistic thing--taking all these supplements? A friend of mine thinks I'm nuts--but oh well. She's still complaining about how sluggish she feels with seeing a conventional Dr....so maybe my Dr isn't that crazy after all?

Did you lose the 60 after taking the Armour or what did you do to take it off? Congratulations, that's a wonderful thing--wish I could give ya a big hug.

I want to go back to the panic thing since I'm a survivor of it---have you ever tried purposely putting yourself into a panic situation (without meds) and seeing if you could handle it without medication? I used to do that to test myself. And then I would say to myself if I started to feel the panic coming on---"It's ok, it'll be over in a minute---this is not going to kill me". And I just kept repeating it over and over in my head. Oh, I remember the sweat pouring down my face, and the physical symptoms, but then I started noticing that everytime I would get in a panicky place that the panic would lessen and lessen because I KNEW that nothing bad was going to happen to me. It's like once I got past a handful of times where nothing bad did happen to me, it was so much easier. I guess it's hard to explain on here--but it can be done. And I pray for all of you sufferers--I thought I would never survive having them. At one point about 10 years ago, I remember laying on the bathroom floor in a full blown panic attack, just wanting to take my life. I have come so far and I'm very proud that I was able to overcome them. They're a terrible thing. I am convinced it's a chemical imbalance.

The thing with my weight that ticks me off is that I've been eating very healthy, and a total change from what I used to eat. I've taken the advice of my Dr who says I'm allergic to milk, peanuts, walnuts, lettuce (can you believe that one?), wheat, white flour, etc etc and have avoided them. I just can't seem to lose and it's very aggravating. I used to eat pasta twice a week, cereal twice a day, bread out the ying yang and now I eat none of that and I'm still up the same 10 pounds that I gained when I started the Cytomel last November. I exercise till the sweat pours down my face and chest. And everyone says "Well, that's your thyroid".....ok, I've come to that conclusion---but what about it? FIX IT!!!! I just feel like one of my numbers should be higher or lower or something--that it's out of balance for my body or something.

I cry everynight about my weight--it's very discouraging.

Well, you have a nice weekend---and enjoy that cone too.

Old 07-22-2005, 03:04 PM   #9
    lucky charms
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lucky charms HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by inyourdreams
    Hi Karen,

I hope it stays away too and takes about another 47 with it

My Dr's tell me that T3 is what makes your metabolism shift into high gear--that you don't even need T4, but after 9 months of telling them that my weight will not change no matter what, I finally got him to add the Armour. He didn't fight me on it, I think he just gave it to me to shut me up. Which that's ok too---if I lose weight, I'll be the quietest patient he's ever seen
    Adding more T4 wouldn't be beneficial would it?? Doesn't it just convert into T3? This is what confuses me. If I have a pill that is partially T3 and T4 and I'm adding extra T3---would I not be burning heavily?? Because it all gets turned into T3 anyway.

I do admit--these holistic Dr's have fixed me up in a lot of ways----but it's funny, the only thing I went into their office for was because I couldn't lose weight. And it's the last thing that's coming. That is IF it comes.

I have been doing exceptionally well on my food plan---eating my meal replacement shakes twice a day with only veggies and protein otherwise. But last night it was about 140 degrees here and our power went out, so I took my son out for an ice cream. I normally pass, but it was so hot and I thought what the heck. So instead of having a small, little cone---I had this HUGE chocolate peanut butter (waffle cone besides) and was scared to death to step on the scale this morning. I just kept telling myself---don't worry about it, you deserve a treat after months of being good. And I didn't gain an ounce!! That is totally weird for me. The ice cream stand didn't have electric either, so they were selling buy 1 get 1 free so that cone was LOADED to the top. Mmmmmmm so good going down though.

Ok, enough of that....my mouth's watering.

Oh, ok---I wanted to get to my point. My grandma (who's 93 and still doing great) had a goiter removed--probably 40+ years ago and is still not on any medicine. Sorry to say, she doesn't really know me now, so I can't get any information about her condition and my mother is in denial about everything----even that she was on synthroid herself and "it did nothing but make my throat swell shut"---so apparently this thyroid thing runs in my family.

Yeah and besides taking thyroid pills, I'm on about 6 other supplements for adrenal fatigue, seratonin, carb digestion, etc. My day is full of pills---but hey, whatever it takes to get me there, right? I would do anything not to have panic anymore.

Take care
    Something just caught me eye, if your grandma had a goiter removed which is the thyroid itself and her living w/o meds...Shes extreme hypo no wonder she doesn't even know you..About 50 percent of senior citizens that are in nursing homes have undiagnosed hypothyroidism..People tend to throw it off on their age or either Alzheimer's which isnt the case..this is something that you need to address..My grandma on my fathers side of the of the family just died a few month ago from untreated hypo b/c no one was educated in this field .. Bothers me to think that if they would have treated it in the begin with she would have still been alive....Sorry I had to throw my 2cents in..I hate to see the elderly suffer mentally or physically if something can be done.. take care

Old 07-22-2005, 03:26 PM   #10
    OraEtLabora
    Veteran
    (female)

OraEtLabora HB User

Well said, likeme28! My own dear Aunt, age 86, is suffering horribly from memory loss. It freightens her so much. About 60 years ago, she was being treated for hypothyroidism by her doc (that was back when docs treated thyroid based on symptoms, and not numbers on a paper). Then, about 20 years ago, a new doc took her off the thyroid med, saying she didn't need it ( I assume he ran the TSH, and it was "normal"). She claims she's been sick ever since. Now, she has a lot of hypo symptoms - hair loss, skin rashes, sleep deprivation, aches and pains. I spoke with her doc about her thyroid, and the doc insisted her thyroid "was fine."

Like I really believe that an 86 year old woman has a thyroid that is "fine." People don't lose their hair and memory because they are getting old - they lose those things because their thyroid is slowing down, or barely functioning. I believe that is the case with my Aunt - and I believe her doctor is an idiot. Instead of some thyroid hormone, which helped her before, she's on some "memory pill" which hasn't helped a bit.

Old 07-22-2005, 03:40 PM   #11
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User

Kant: once reason you feel better in the PM is the adrenals...those which give us cortisol (hope I got this right,) from what I understand finally have enough cortisol produced to make us have some energy. So I have heard (which is why I will do saliva testing for them) that fatigue adrenals behave this way.
    They work all day trying to get enough into the systme and finally by the end of the day there is enough cortisol to make us feel "normal". I hear of many who are taking some sort of over the counter or doctor prescription adrenal help.

There was a discussion on the other board about what T4 improved and what T3 improved, and it can down that though we can make some general statements sometimes, T3 for brain fog and muscles and T4 (I forgot), but it turned out to be so individualistic. The key seemed to me finding your own balance...not easy I know...some people did better suddenly when they added T3 some T4....well, trial and error...hope you are all feeling better soon!

Old 07-23-2005, 07:17 AM   #12
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hey Ora, would it be possible to get your aunt to a naturopathic dr? They're usually much better at helping with thyroid problems. I realize though that medicare is picky and naturopaths are expensive. I just think the elderly are so GREATLY neglected by the medical profession. Unbelievably though they're the ones keeping the docs in business! It's amazing how drs ascribe just about everything to old age from the time you turn 30 until you're in the grave (maybe even prematurely due to an untreated condition they wouldn't recognize ).

I'm doing better this week. My dr upped my dosage on Monday and I didn't even have to ask. So I'm up to 1 1/4 grain (75mg) now. I was in a flare up (I get flare ups every two months where my symptoms get really bad) for a few weeks so that was causing some awful problems for me. I also ended up with a virus of some sorts and felt crummy. I'm feeling worlds better today though (just a little left-over sinus drainage and weakness from the virus).

My dr said he'll test my TSH and FT4 again on Wednesday to see how I'm doing.

My pregnancy still seems to be going well too so that's a plus. Baby's heart rate today is 171 and stong. I'll be 10 weeks on Monday so that's encouraging.

I'm starting to really look forward to my endo appt in August (on the 11th). I'm hoping she'll have some more answers for me.

Well, have a great weekend all!

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 07-23-2005, 08:54 AM   #13
    Jo-chan
    (female)

Jo-chan HB User

Here's my update:

I'm holding at 1.5 grains per day, too. I was up to 2.5 but got hyper symptoms, so I went back to where I am now. I've been feeling OK, but I've been having more restless leg lately...I hate that. I went down a few pounds I think but it's so hard to tell for sure because I also take pain meds that make my constipation worse. So I'm sure that has an effect on my weight.

I guess I'll just stick with this dosage until my body tells me I need more (if that ever happens).

Old 07-23-2005, 06:05 PM   #14
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

Jo-chan,
    I too take pain meds on a regular basis so I have that to deal with for constipation. I am drinking prune juice and I am to the point I have to take a correctol ( mild lax) to go!

If you can stomach it, try the prune juice.

Karen

Old 07-23-2005, 06:47 PM   #15
    Jo-chan
    (female)

Jo-chan HB User

Thank you for the suggestion, Karen. I actually tried eating prunes (or "dried plums" as they're now called) and they did seem to help, but they gave me awful gas.
    Instead I've been eating Metamucil wafers. They taste like cookies! And they do work, but of course I'd like it if the Armour did the job for me.

There was a time during my second or third week on Armour when my constipation was gone, even with taking pain meds. It was awesome, but it didn't last. Oh well....

On the bright side, I've never had a problem with losing hair or dry skin. I'm trying to accentuate the positive.

Closed Thread