It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Just Came from ER-LOW Blood pressure/severe Numbness scared anyone else have it

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
    jennyVee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
    Just Came from ER-LOW Blood pressure/severe Numbness scared anyone else have it

Hey guys just came back from the ER for teh 2nd time thsi week, they told me myblood pressure was low, an dmy body is so numb all over that i could barely even sleep, I am also all puffed up like a marshmellow the face/lips/body are all puffed up. anyway they did a TSH test and it was normal, as always they only test the TSH, as I have mentioned before I became hypo through RAI, and even had myxedema coma, and after that i have never been able to feel well here are my most recent labs of 2 weeks ago I am still on 100 mcg of synthroid but am feeling horrible, numb all over low BP and terribly terribly tired adn depressed and they told me I could pass out if my BP is too low.. I mean now that worries me since I am home alone with my 2 kids alot, they didnt even give me meds for that.I have to see my doc tomorrow so i will make sure he does other thyroid tests not just the TSH here are my labs
    TSH- 0.804 RANGE- 0.460-0.4980
    FREE T4-1.06 RANGE 0.70-1.90

THESE WERE DONE ABOUT 5 MONTHS AGO

TSH- 53.027 RANGE 0.460-4.980
    FREE T4-0.56- RANGE 0.70-1.90
    T4 TOTAL- 4.76 RANGE 5.00-12.00

Last edited by jennyVee; 08-14-2005 at 05:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2005, 06:07 PM   #2
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User
    Re: Just Came from ER-LOW Blood pressure/severe Numbness scared anyone else have it

Jen,
    what does your pressure run? I posted in your other thread about mine. In the hospital I had a few readings of the top number being under 100. What did they say is causing it? I have always had low pressure, but now it is soooo low.

I am sorry you had to deal with this. I know it feels scary when it bottoms out. I have had that happen and you just feel like you are going "empty" inside and the room gets black, it is a scary feeling. I can always tell when it is coming on in my knees.

Karen

Old 08-14-2005, 08:38 PM   #3
    jennyVee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: Just Came from ER-LOW Blood pressure/severe Numbness scared anyone else have it

Hi again Kant, the BP was in the low 90/58 or so the hospital BP monitor would go off almost everytime, anyway after eating it got better, mine runs pretty low but not this low I am usally around the low 100's too. hey I know what you mean about the knees I feel it there too, but the numbness all over is when I know the thyroid is off, even though its showing normal, grr its those antibodies fooling the body into thinking all is great, anyway last night when I felt sick i took a synthroid and i fell asleep, so I know I might need to take more meds, but since the bloodwork showed normal I kept taking 100mcg.

anyway it is hard to go through this especially since its so hard to explain it to my hubby, even though he has hyperthyroid, he hasnt been sick in years and doesnt understand what its like being hypo, I feel so guilty about being so sick all the time, it does feel like in a dark tunnel with no way out, I just wish this surgeon removes my thyroid, but who knows, I am calling tomorrow and asking the nurse if he woudl remove it even after RAI, I hope he does.

Old 08-14-2005, 09:30 PM   #4
    gnp
    (female)

gnp HB User

Jen, Kant,

I have had low blood pressure for so long I can't remember when. My readings are usually 90/60. This is on a constent basis. In fact when I get my blood pressure taken I always ask what it is. Once in a blue moon, mainly when I'm having surgery or a big dr's appt. I get nervous and it will rise to 117/65. I usually tell them that that's high for me. I've never been put on meds. They don't take it as seriously as high bp. I think there are more problems associated with a high bp. I went once to my dr. because I had a major asthma attack. I was blue when I got there. I insisted on driving myself because I didn't want to get stranded at a hospital 30 miles from my home. Plus I like my dr. he know me and what I'm going through. My bp went really low. I almost past out. I started to get numb and tingly all through my body. the weirdess place was the chin and throat. When you feel your blood pressure dropping, watch your breathing. You might not realize that your breathing faster, shallower or taking deep breaths. This things will cause you to start to hypoventilate which will cause numbness and tingling. I still can't believe I am only on 0.05mg of synthroid. I feel tired and out of it. Can't remember the simplest things. Maybe my thy dr. is wating for my second surgery before he ups it. People say you need to stop it before then and maybe he didn't want me to go through the withdrawals.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:21 AM   #5
    CyberGodess
    (female)

CyberGodess HB User

It sounds to me like you could really benefit taking a combo hormone replacement that has both T4 & T3! Ask to switch to a natural hormone replacement. I took synthetic for 36 years and it did little to relieve any of my symptoms. A little over a year ago I switched to a natural hormone replacement and I was amazed that it has eliminated all my life long symptoms!

Old 08-15-2005, 07:57 AM   #6
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

Hey all,

Ya know, the strange thing is when I did the Armour trial in the 1 month I was on it, my blood pressure was up always to 130/85,one time it was 130/90, I mean it was horrible. I was only taking 30 mgs! It was bad, but I felt good on Armour. I medtioned it to the endo because I was also gaining weight on Armour and he said that some people cannot take t3 no matter how small the dose is. He also said that if your body converts it right, any extra will cause the pressure to go up. He put me on Synthroid for surgery in hopes of a power shrink. I got the Armour from my pcp. The endo said he would let me try Armour after surgery, but they put you right back on synthroid at the hospital and I haven't had any symptoms so I am just going to stick with it for now. I am afraid to mess with the body too much since I just had the thing out.

It is weird too how as soon as I stopped the Armour my pressure went back down to being really low.

I always know when it is getting too low, it is a feeling that I guess can only be understood by those that have low pressure.

I guess it is more dangerous to try and raise someone's pressure???

Karen

Old 08-15-2005, 08:54 AM   #7
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

Jen,
    That is exactly my story with Armour. I tried it before ever trying synthroid. But hey, I gave it a try. I hadn't seen an endo at that point so I just got it from the pcp. I gained 12 pounds on it too! Sounds like it didn't agree with either of us! I don't think I will mess with it again, at least I am saying that now. My blood pressure going to high scared me because I have dealt with a low reading problem all my life and I knew that was hard on my vascular system to be thrown into high pressure so fast.

This is the best group right here, these folks here and a God-send and nobody would ever attack anyone for their opinion or experience!

Karen

Last edited by moderator2; 08-15-2005 at 09:04 AM.

Old 08-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #8
    JaneM
    (female)

JaneM HB User

I'm sorry to hear about your low blood pressure scare. I've always had low blood pressure, and this was the main problem that scared me enough to see the doctor a few years ago who diagnosed me hypo.

In the middle of the night, when everything seems to happen, I felt as if my entire body was shutting down. I remember getting up and downing the salt until I felt that horrible "starting and stopping" feeling going away.

Getting on Synthroid helped, but a few months ago it started back into the 80's/50's, so I upped the Synthroid and have been fine since.

Hope you get it straightened out soon and please know that you are not alone.

Old 08-15-2005, 10:46 AM   #9
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

Wonder why with some hypo can cause high blood pressure and with some it causes low? It is all so confusing. You would think dr's would know all this information. I wish they would come to this board and learn a thing or two!

Karen

Old 08-15-2005, 11:24 AM   #10
    jennyVee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tell me about it Kant! its amazing how we have to find out everything about this disease on our own, I often wonder how they graduated medical school! whata joke aghh

I have a nice medical doc but he doesnt know much about thyroid problems, so he sent me to a new endo to get a biposy done on my nodules, and the new endo is refusing to do a biopsy untile he feels like it.

so i decided to stop going there, by the way I nearly choked on some bread on saturday, I have such a bad problem swallowing food, but he doesnt care much, well my appt with the surgeon is on wednesday, Hope he can get these things out of me Grr

Last edited by jennyVee; 08-15-2005 at 11:30 AM.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:59 AM   #11
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

Jen, I can't wait to hear how you make out on Wednesday! I feel SOOOO much better since getting that thing out of me. I cannot imagine an endo refusing a biopsy! What if they were cancerous nodules? geez.

If you are really sick and you have had no luck with meds, I hope you have good luck like I did in that the surgeon wanted it out as much as I did. My antibodies were so high and my thryoid was so enlarged he knew I was sick.

I feel like a new person physically since that thing is out of me. Now don't get me wrong, I am still recovering from the surgery, but I am better than I was. Also, you won't believe how much room you have in your throat til that thing is gone! You forget what it is like to swallow without cramed quarters in there.

best of luck and please let me know how you make out on Wednesday. What kind of surgeon did you get in with?

Karen

Old 08-15-2005, 02:06 PM   #12
    jennyVee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oh my sorry I forgot not to post sites, man its sometimes hard to remember that grrr

Last edited by jennyVee; 08-15-2005 at 02:07 PM.

Closed Thread