It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• total thyroidectomy and synthroid (tiredness)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2005, 12:20 PM   #1
    indo007
    (male)

indo007 HB User
    total thyroidectomy and synthroid (tiredness)

I had a total thyroidectmy about 2 months ago and about 2 weeks ago i started to get really tired. I just had my iodine treatment a week ago and now i've started to take synthroid just a couple of days ago. How long does it take for synthroid to start working? My energy levels are at this point are really low and now the problem arises that i have to go back to work starting monday of the upcoming week.

Will the synthroid kick in over the next 4-5 days? I dont know how im going to get work done feeling like this. How long does synthroid take to improve energy levels?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2005, 03:41 PM   #2
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User
    Re: total thyroidectomy and synthroid (tiredness)

Hi Indo,
    Sorry you are feeling so weak and tired - It can take awhile for the synthroid to work - I could "feel" it a little at first - but it took at least a couple of weeks to start working and the full effect - a couple of months...Sounds like you've been through a lot too - try to save your energy just for the most important things...hope you feel better soon....
    Best wishes,
    Kathy

Old 09-07-2005, 08:18 AM   #3
    Halley888
    (female)

Halley888 HB User

I had a total thyroidectomy about three years ago. I'm currently on 112 mcg. levoxyl. It took around eight months after surgery to get regulated. They started me on synthroid and it made me feel like I had to flu every day. As soon as I started on levoxyl, I felt better.

You have to have your TSH, T3, & T4 checked often. I hope you have an Endocrinologist. He should see you often to check TSH, etc. and keep current on your dosage. Be agressive when you see your doctor and tell him exactly how you feel. Since I had the thyroidectomy, I haven't felt the same. I know how you feel, especially when you have to go to work every day.

I'm currently feeling very tired with a lot of muscle aches in my legs and feet. I'm going to have my TSH tested this week because I have to see my ENDO next week. I have a hunch my dosage needs changing. I work every day and am very tired, like you.

I really don't understand why these doctors take hypothyroidism so lightly. None of them agree on what exactly a normal TSH is. I realize it varies on each individual, but some of these doctors just want to see you once a year, and I don't think that's often enough. Your body changes with age, health, stress, anxiety, and life in general.

Hope you get some help from your doctor and feel better soon. Feeling tired all the time is very hard. It's frustrating when you can't do some of the things you use to do. Find a good doctor who understands your needs and does something about them.

Halley888

The Following User Says Thank You to Halley888 For This Useful Post:
    mgrot (07-14-2011)
    Old 09-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #4
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I was increased in tiny dosage increments after my RAI, so I felt crappy for a long time. Each time I had a dosage increase, it took a minimum of 3 weeks for it to kick in and to feel it. I'm feeling much better on the synthroid brand than the generic I was on originally.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
    HogsNkisses
    (female)

HogsNkisses HB User

Reece, I had my TT in 1999 and I am still very tired most of the time. It may be something that some of us have to always deal with. I hope you feel better soon. Those meds can be tricky!!

Old 09-07-2005, 11:57 AM   #6
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

Halley,
    I too had a TT about 5 weeks ago. I have been going through dose changes and I do notice that when I need it to be increased my legs and feet are hurting terrible. When they up the dose, the feet and leg pain go away.

It takes a while. I have been on the meds since my surgery now for 5 weeks and am still trying to get the right dose. It all takes alot of time.............like kathy said, it takes months and I guess we are all looking for a quick answer. My surgeon told me, it isn't like they take your thyroid out one day and the next they give you a little pill and all is well.

Best wishes,
    karen

Closed Thread