It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Normal Labs. Don't feel normal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2005, 01:19 PM   #1
    MKMaggie
    (female)

MKMaggie HB User
    Normal Labs. Don't feel normal?

Hi everyone.

Have not been around much lately because I went back to work a few weeks ago and I am sooo tired when I get home that after I manage to make dinner I just crash and burn.

I saw my endo again in August (sub-acute thyroidits) just before I went back to work. My labs at the time were:

TSH 6.26 (0.35-5.50)
    T4 27.9 (4.5-11.0)
    T3 125 (60-200)

He said I was in the hypo phase, but he expected that my levels would eventually come back up to normal on their own in a couple of months, but he also wrote me a perscription for Levolyl and said for me to see how it goes after I go back to work. If I was really fatigued then I should start taking it but before I did to call him first. Well I have been trying not to give in and say I can't take it anymore but the other day I decided that just going to work and sleeping are getting quite boreing. I decided to stop in at his office on my way home from work the other day and he gave me a lab slip for blood work before I starded taking the medicine. Well my labs came back NORMAL:

Thyroxine (T4) 6.6 ug/dL (4.5 - 12.0)
    T3 Uptake 29 % (24 - 39)
    Free Thyroxine Index 1.9 (1.2 - 4.9)
    TSH 2.685 uIU/mL (0.350 - 5.500)

My question is how come I still feel so crappy and still have the terrible fatigue, constipation and I have gained a few pounds and have not been eating that much as I don't have time to eat most days until I get home and then I am almost to tired to eat.

I have also recently seen a rhumetologst for stiffness in my hands and feet and all those tests have come back normal also. No inflamation.

Any feed back about the labs etc. is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MK

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User
    Re: Normal Labs. Don't feel normal?

Hi MK,
    Sorry you're not feeling well - Even when labs are in the normal range many people still have symptoms - I was one of them - My TSH never got higher than 1.5 and I gained 60 lbs and turned into a zombie before a doc finally discovered a thyroid problem...Usually it's good to have T4 and T3 in the upper 1/3 of the range and the TSH around 1.0 to feel good. Your numbers still aren't there and TSH can fluctuate with thyroid disease - especially a type called Hashimoto's thyroiditis....I would ask the doc to to the anti-bodies tests, there are three of them TPO, Tg and (I forget the third - help me out guys)....to see about the Hashis.....The medicine may help bring those numbers closer to optimal and with your symptoms - it did for me....
    Hope you feel better soon....
    Take care,
    Kathy

Old 09-17-2005, 07:56 PM   #3
    softcrush
    Inactive
    (female)

softcrush HB User

MK:

Ooooh...sorry you don't feel so good. Lets hope it gets fixed quickly!

Parts of your labs are outdated. The t3free and t4free along with the tsh are better indicators. Also...its good to see what is going on with antibodies as Kathy mentioned.

Generally you want your TSH..to be suppressed and the frees to be in the upper part of the range. Most docs are not in the loop on this. You can get there with a combo orf t3/t4 replacement usually with good results. It takes some tweaking...

Good luck!

~S

Old 09-19-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
    MKMaggie
    (female)

MKMaggie HB User

Thanks Kathy and Softcrush for your comments.

I have been to tired to stay up long enough to get my turn at the computer (teenagers) so I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond back.

I have some questions for anyone who cares to respond. Based on my most recent labs would you recommend that I start taking the medicine or would you wait the couple more months to see what happens? My endo seems to think my thyroid is going to come back to normal. Has anyone else ever had the subacute thyroiditis and recovered back to normal or has it happened again, if so how long between episodes? Once you start taking meds do you have to take them for the rest of your life?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Maggie

Closed Thread