It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• sudden shortness of breath

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-04-2005, 03:59 PM   #1
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User
    sudden shortness of breath

HI All,
    Has anyone experienced sudden shortness of breath that is lasting two days - it's hard to get a full sentence out - my breathing is shallow and labored, I can barelywalk to to mailbox without huffing and puffing.... and I feel like yuck....I remember this happening once before last spring, but only for a day - wonder what is going on....BP 125/78 pulse 78....
    Thanks guys - I trust you all more than anyone....
    Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #2
    kaatluvr
    (female)

kaatluvr HB User
    Re: sudden shortness of breath

I would go to the doctor/emergency room immediately. If you are having that much trouble, and it hasn't gone away for two days,it could be something serious. Not wanting to alarm you needlessly, but this is definitely one for the pros! Take care!

Old 10-04-2005, 05:25 PM   #3
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

Kath, what is going on?????????? I had no idea you were having this!!! What else do you feel different????

I will get with you,
    karen

Old 10-04-2005, 05:40 PM   #4
    Betsyp
    (female)

Betsyp HB User

Oh Kathy -- I am so sorry! That does not sound like something to play around with. Please take Kaatluver's advice and see your doctor ASAP. Please keep us posted! We are here for you. Betsy

Old 10-04-2005, 05:56 PM   #5
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Gosh you guys are so kind! - it makes me feel better already!! Thank you so much for your warm responses....I'm not sure what's happening - there have been some changes in my synthroid and cytomel this week and maybe it's throwing me for a loop - I started cytomel back up this week without really ramping up.....and I had an increase in synthroid - today I took less though because of the shortness of breath yesterday - so we'll see -

I am not alone - my husband's here keeping an eye on me - so we'll see how it goes - just wondered if this was some kind of thyroid thing or not - so many things are thyroid.....it's also weird because my BP has dropped since spring when I had this before - back then I was running 150/110! So theoretically I should be feeling better in the cardiovascular department! Thanks for all your kind wishes - that really warmed my heart....I'll let you know what I find out.....thanks for all of you!
    Kathy

Old 10-04-2005, 06:31 PM   #6
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hello! Considering the times of year you've had this happen (Spring and Fall) do you think you may be developing allergies with asthma? It sounds a lot like an asthma attack.

I sure hope it eases up for you soon and if not that you'll be able to get some relief medically.

Please do let us know how it goes!!

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 10-04-2005, 07:15 PM   #7
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi Kelly,
    Yes I am thinking possibly asthma - I've never been diagnosed with it, but I've always had shortness of breath when exercising from way back in my teens - maybe now it's getting more sensitive to triggers (with age 40!).....My husband has asthma and he said my symptoms are how he feels when he's having it too - if it's not gone tomorrow - I'll get it all checked out....thanks for all your concern!! I really appreciate all of you -
    This is one of the nicest groups of people! Like many of us with chronic illness I have few or no real friends and I don't know what I'd do without you guys!! Thanks for all your support and kindness...
    Best wishes to all of you,
    Kathy

Old 10-04-2005, 07:40 PM   #8
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

Kath,
    You know, just keep us posted so we are not worrying about ya! Perhaps it is a combo of the things you have changed this week. I hope you can get some sleep tonight. You don't feel like that just sitting around do you?

Your worried friend,
    Karen

Old 10-04-2005, 07:58 PM   #9
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi Karen!
    Well - I do feel like that just sitting - but it's a little better now - so I think I will try to sleep - Thanks so much for all your concern!
    I am really touched!!
    I will be sure and keep you posted - we'll see what tomorrow brings....
    Thanks again,
    Love,
    Kathy

Old 10-05-2005, 11:25 AM   #10
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi All,
    Just wanted to thank you again for your kind concern - I went to the doc this morning and he says it's asthma.....so that's a relief that it's nothing worse....
    Thank you all for your kindness - I was very touched!!
    Best wishes,
    Kathy

Old 10-05-2005, 02:48 PM   #11
    Betsyp
    (female)

Betsyp HB User

Kathy -- I'm so glad you found out what was causing the breathing issues. What a relief to know what it is. Please keep us posted! Betsy

Old 10-06-2005, 12:47 AM   #12
    barchin
    Inactive
    (male)

barchin HB User

Kathy,
    I am hypo and that happens to me. I even kinda wisper when I talk because it feels like there is not enough breath to say words. It last a day or two. I just read in my research that that is a symptom with hypo. If you have any questions I would go to the Dr. if your not sure.

Marlow

Old 10-06-2005, 12:50 AM   #13
    barchin
    Inactive
    (male)

barchin HB User

oops, I didn't read far enough, sorry.

Old 10-06-2005, 11:46 AM   #14
    barchin
    Inactive
    (male)

barchin HB User

Hi Kathy,

I found a lot of good info writen by Dr Lowe Called Meabolic Health. Here is a quote.

Medical journals contain many reports of some patients with hypothyroidism or thyroid hormone resistance having labored breathing.

Last edited by barchin; 12-16-2007 at 09:33 PM.

Old 10-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #15
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hello! For about four months last year I had difficulty breathing, chest pain (like heavy pressure) and I was extremely tired. I was tested for asthma and heart problems but everything came back normal. When I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in April I read that it can cause those symptoms.

I had assumed your problem was different Kathy due to it's sudden onset. My problems came on gradually. I suppose it's very possible to have your hormones drop quickly and therefore the onset be more sudden?

My trachea also seems prone to spasms near my voice box which cause difficulty breathing for me. I can't talk, sing or cry for long without getting spasms...at least that's what I assume they are since it just feels like my throat is suddenly closing off and I have a very difficult time breathing. It used to really scare my husband but he's used to it now .

Anyway, I really hope the prednisone is effective and you don't have too many episodes!

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Closed Thread