HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   Midwest, Lady50-Please Help RAI Uptake Results (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/329916-midwest-lady50-please-help-rai-uptake-results.html)

angel123m 10-04-2005 10:05 PM

Midwest, Lady50-Please Help RAI Uptake Results

Hi, Hope you are doing well. Went and had the RAI Uptake and scan today. Yesterday, the tech would not tell me what the percentage of uptake was, but today, another tech showed me the printout. Please give me your opinion.
I have found on the internet 2 different ranges for normal:
1) 6 hours: 3-16 % AND 5-20 %
2) 24 hours: 8-25 % AND 10-35 %

My numbers were: 6 hours: 31.4 %
24 hours: 46 %

Using either set of ranges, I know that my results were high. In addition, I am hoping that you can give me your opinion of whether or not this is indicative of Grave's. I read today that if you take the Total T3/T4 ratio and it is >20, then that is a good indicator of Grave's. My last tests results were: 9/20/05 T4 (Thyroxine) 14.1 (range 4.5-12.5)
TSH <0.01 (range 0.45-4.50)
T3 Total 253 (range 90-213)

In addition: 8/15/05 T3 Uptake 34.8 (range 23.4-42.7)
T4 Thyroxine 13.0 (range 4.5-12.5)
T7 Index 4.5 (range 1.2-4.3)
TSH 0.01 (range 0.45-4.50)
T4 Free Non-Dialysis 2.1 (range 0.8-1.9)
I have no idea how to get the Total T3/T4 ratio. Are they talking about T4 Thyroxine, or T4 Free?
I will get the results of the Uptake Scan on Thursday. Everything is starting to come together in the testing and diagnosis front. I have an appointment tomorrow with the Neurologist, so I can finally confirm, or rule out, the clinical diagnosis of Myotonic Dystrophy. My PCP referred me to an Endo, who could not give me an appointment until 11/9, but when they found out I was Hyper, she put me on the cancellation list and called today to tell me that I can come in this Thursday. My PCP is letting me pick up all of my tests results tomorrow including my antibody tests and results of the Uptake Scan to take to the Endo. I'll let you know what those results are.
Based on the information that I have given you, what can I ask the Endo on my first visit? His office was a little bit huffy when I told them that I had the Uptake today. His receptionist said that He usually likes to order them. Well TOOOOO BAAAAAAD!!! I wasn't about to wait another month and a half until they could give me an appointment.
Your help has been invaluable to me. Hopefully, I can get this Hyper taken care of before I go into congestive heart failure and my bones disinegrate, and before I don't have an unwasted muscle left in my body! HA! Take care all and thanks for your help.
Mariah

AprilPow 10-05-2005 05:10 AM

Re: Midwest, Lady50-Please Help RAI Uptake Results

Hey there. Well, I dont think those things will happen that quickly. You do have some time. :)

I would just start researching your options as it does appear to be Grave's. Hopefully he will put you on a betablocker to help with racing heart and shakiness, then an antithyroid med. If this person is like most thyroid docs they will suggest RAI.

Either way, don't feel rushed into a decision. While Graves can do a number on your body if you get on the antithyroid meds and beta blockers you'll be ok. It takes time. So doing the RAI won't really get you anywhere quicker than antithyroid meds. Start doing research on treatments!

April

Lady50 10-05-2005 06:05 AM

Yes, I agree with April, do not let them rush you into RAI. Did they tell you that the RAI can cause an INCREASE in your thyroid hormones, and you could have a chance of THYROID STORM? My docs didn't tell me that, and it did happen. My storm was not real bad, but quite scary. I was taking some very strong beta blockers at the time.

Gee, I am not very familiar with percentages of an uptake scan. Mine after
24 hours was 65%, so that was very high.

They didn't put me on anything until all my tests were done, then they rushed me to RAI(when first diagnosed). The RAdiology doctor looked at my eyes and said" Maam we just can't give you RAI because it will make your eyes worse, and I have seen it". I found out later that he was right.

I did finally take RAI last year, for what reason I don't know. :confused:

Hopefully they will start you on a beta blocker and an antithyroid drug, that is if you have hyperthyroidism. There have been people that have had remission after taking them.

midwest1 10-05-2005 06:06 AM

I'm not qualified to answer any of your uptake scan questions. I am pretty sure, though, that the "Total T3/T4 ratio" includes T4 (thyroxine), not free T4.

April has given you good advice. If you have Graves', you'll likely be hustled into accepting RAI right away. Think about it long and hard before doing that. If given a chance, Graves' can sometimes go into remission with antithyroid drugs.

angel123m 10-05-2005 07:11 AM

April, Midwest, Lady50,
Thank you so much for your replies. After reading the posts on this board, I certainly will not take RAI. The research I have read indicates that, in at least some cases, Grave's does go into remission for some. Taking Anti-Thyroid for at least 18 months would be my option.
I am sure that if I had not stumbled upon this board I would have blindly followed, without question, all of the doctor's advice. Thanks to all of you, I now know what symptoms I need to look for. I also know that all of you will be here for me, if I need any further assistance.
May God Bless you all and give you strength to manage these diseases and the Medical Profession that goes along with them.
Mariah

P.S. I had a GREAT Birthday. Hubby made me dinner and I just relaxed the whole day.

Lady50 10-05-2005 11:33 AM

May God bless you too hon, and hope that you will get on some medicine soon so you can get on that road to recovery. :wave: