It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• vitex agnus castus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
    tlsims
    (female)

tlsims HB User
    vitex agnus castus

anyone ever used this for thyroid problems or for the side effects of a thyroid problem?
    ts

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2005, 10:49 PM   #2
    wxKathy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wxKathy2 HB User
    Re: vitex agnus castus

HI -
    I'm sorry I don't know a thing about it - but will bump this up for you...maybe others can help....
    Good luck..
    Best wishes,
    Kathy

Old 10-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #3
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User

I have used it with the hopes it would help shorten the bleeding time of my periods but I became pregnant so had to stop using it. I haven't started using it again since miscarrying.

I know about the herb and what it's supposed to do but I don't have a great deal of experience. It can take 3-6 months before any effects are noticed.

Is there something specifically you'd like to know ?

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 10-10-2005, 07:39 AM   #4
    tlsims
    (female)

tlsims HB User

i was wondering if it would help support hormones due to thyroid problems, my main problems are heavy bleeding and horrible skin.

ts

Old 10-10-2005, 08:28 AM   #5
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User

It's effect is to support ovarian function with the idea that the ovaries will produce progesterone more optimally. Low progesterone does cause heavy/prolonged bleeding and skin issues so it may be beneficial for you.

However, with the thyroid not functioning properly it's hard to say if it's a losing battle or not. If the thyroid hormones aren't there then I don't know if the ovary *can* produce enough progesterone even with herbal support.

It's a very mild herb and yet reported to be very effective after 3-6 months of use so it may be worth a try.

Have you researched it's safety and/or if there are any contraindications for those with thyroid disease? I'm just wondering, because I haven't and would recommend doing so before using it.

I myself am considering using it again since my bleeding time is so long...I have to do some reading up on it first though.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 10-11-2005, 08:08 AM   #6
    tlsims
    (female)

tlsims HB User

i cant even remember how i stumbled across it, gosh my ADD is getting out of hand, must have been accidentially, anyway i did a search on it and it said it was used for this and that and in this very long list it listed thyroid but it did not say how or why. i think i may give a try since my numbers are slipping a bit but not enough for them to give me meds. maybe it will help.

ts

Closed Thread