It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• skin on neck discolored 5 mo after surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-08-2005, 11:13 PM   #1
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
    skin on neck discolored 5 mo after surgery

I had thyroid surgery in May and it went really well, however I've noticed lately the skin on my throat/neck around the incision has turned a different shade.....light brown? Not just on the incision, but almost a circular patch. A couple people have mentioned it and said I should get it checked. I will call the doctor next week. At first it just looked like my neck was a little dirty but it wasn't. Has anyone else had this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2005, 07:05 AM   #2
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
    Re: skin on neck discolored 5 mo after surgery

wanted to bump it up!

no one has had this?

Old 10-10-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
    Chamonix417
    (female)

Chamonix417 HB User

My thyroid surgery was in June and my scar doesn't look good. It is raised and dark red around the scar. The surgeon said the scar was inflamed and showing characteristics of hypertrophic scarring. Apparently hypertrophic scarring is when the initial scar forms more scar tissue and expands in order to heal. I am on Mederma cream which is over the counter. The surgeon said if it is not better in 2-3 weeks, I need to have a steroid shot into my scar. The Mederma seems to be working ok, but I am allergic to it. My neck has been breaking out in small hives.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:51 AM   #4
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for your reply. My neck was very itchy after the surgery, but it has calmed down since. My doctor had me using neosporin on the scar the first week and I seem to be allergic to it. My scar doesn't seem to be inflamed, I'm wondering about the inside...
    I'm sorry you seem to be having trouble with yours. Hopefully it will get better soon and you won't need the steroid shot....

Old 10-11-2005, 08:18 AM   #5
    tlsims
    (female)

tlsims HB User

have you been in the sun? if it is not raised or otherwise abnormal looking or feeling, it maybe they you have exposed the area to many UV and UVA light (sun) i would check with doc first and make sure everything is ok, if it is you can go to a derm. or ethinatician (sp) and get a fading cream or even a peel if it has healed enough. mine looks darker around the edges but it is because the incision it self is so white and you can tell where he put to much traction on the side he was working on cause it is a wider white patch on that side of the incision. i will probably start later this winter with microderabasion lightly to see if it will even it out and then take it from there. good luck

ts

Old 10-11-2005, 09:02 AM   #6
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

thanks tlsims, I haven't really been out too much in the sun, not intentionally anyway. I'm going in this Fri to see what he says.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:30 PM   #7
    matthewinuk

matthewinuk HB User

i had ENT surgery a couple of days ago and the back of my hand around where they put a line in me is darkened in a patch about 3 x 7cm. could be a similar thing maybe?

Old 10-12-2005, 09:11 AM   #8
    tlsims
    (female)

tlsims HB User

that may be blood caught up under the skin. it should go away in a week or two. i have very fair skin and any kind of wound on me turns and ugly dark color fast. i would leave the area alone for a few more days. but after that may you could light massage it to see if it will help it drain. stay out of the sun! if you have to go in sun cover your incision and iv sores with clothing. (dont put sun screen on your incision this soon it might get infected)
    ts

Old 10-12-2005, 09:12 AM   #9
    tlsims
    (female)

tlsims HB User

rosequartz let me know what the doc says.

ts

Old 10-12-2005, 09:37 AM   #10
    AprilPow
    Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

Hello. I have hypertrophic scarring. Most docs will wait about 1 yr to see how it heals. Sometimes it will fade over time and a lot of docs feel anything sooner is just overzealous.

My incision site looked wonderful few weeks post op. Then the thick scar came in and red around all the edges. It itches sometimes and is very tender to touch. Its typical to have scarring problems anywhere there is a lot of tension on the skin, like the neck.

I will be 1 yr since surgery in Jan. In which case I will be visiting the dermatologist. Mine is ugly, but it's annoying b/c it gets itchy and hurts. I cant STAND to have it touched b/c it's just irritating. Very hard to wear necklaces now.

April

Old 10-14-2005, 02:43 PM   #11
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BOY DO I FEEL STUPID!!
    I went to my doctor today and told him about the discoloration, he looked real close at it and rubbed on it and said he thinks it's glue. He took an alcohol swab pad and cleaned it and got all kinds of brown stuff off. Then took a 2nd one and cleaned it some more.....more brown stuff. I said, boy am I embarassed! I wash my neck, but I don't SCRUB it, around the incision.....I'm afraid to press that hard. He was really pressing and cleaning with this alcohol thing, much harder than I would have........it's nice and clean now! LOL
    Thanks to everyone!!

Old 10-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #12
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BOY DO I FEEL STUPID!!!!!!!!!!
    Showed the doctor my discolored neck today and he looked real close, rubbed at it and said "It looks like glue". He took an alcohol pad and cleaned it and boy did it come off brown....then he took another one.....same thing.
    I told him I wash my neck every day, but I don't SCRUB it, especially where the incision is. He was pressing harder than I would have been comfortable doing. It didn't hurt, I just baby my scar, I guess....
    Thanks you guys! I'm glad it was just something dumb!

Closed Thread