It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• surgery Monday, follicular cells, HELP!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-12-2005, 09:36 PM   #1
    tadla
    (female)

tadla HB User
    surgery Monday, follicular cells, HELP!!!

Hi anyone,

Just got in from seeing a movie to help get my mind off of things. I'm really suprised by how anxious I'm becoming. I keep trying to cry, but I just won't let myself. I guess I have a dilemma. I'm trying to figure out if I should ask the surgeon if he could just go ahead and take out the whole thing. I just have this weird feeling that I will have to anyway, so why not all at once? Besides, from what I understand, they almost never know for sure about follicular adenomas/cancer until it is out and sent off. The other thing is that the stupid thing is diseased with Hashi and Graves concomittently , how fortunate? I just don't know.

I also was hoping that some people could answer a few questions:
    For people that have had any FNA with Follicular cells, whether benign or cancerous---had you been on meds for thyroid problems previous to FNA?, Did you have a single nodule or multiple, solid or cyst or both, How big? What did your path report say after FNA and after surgery? Are you female/male? How old when this happened?

I would be sooooo grateful if any of you could answer these questions, you don't even have to write anything back except the answers if you don't have the time. Thanks for what ever you can do!!!

Surgery is Monday, have to call tomorrow to discuss pre-op stuff.
    By the way, anyone could tell me if you had blood work, chest x-rays, EKG, or anything else. It's been since my gallbladder removal, about 16 years ago, since I've been completely put under. Just wondering what the protocol is today???

Thanks and Sacred blessings,

Tabitha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
    Gardener24
    (female)

Gardener24 HB User
    Re: [B]surgery Monday, follicular cells, HELP!!![/B]

Tadla,

I just had a TT two weeks ago. I had a 1 cm biopsied nodule on one side diagnosed as follicular neoplasm in which surgery was suggested. This was reconfirmed by a top thyroid pathologist as a second opinion. (I could feel a hard lump and had had intermittent ear pain for about five years with no cause.) I chose to have a TT as I also had three smaller nodules on the other side (not biopsied). I ended up having papillary on both sides and not follicular. The nodules were originally discovered about six months ago on an MRI of my neck for a back problem.

The week before surgery I had bloodwork, EKG, physical, anesthesia chat. After surgery I had IV antibiotics & liquids. Also had two heparin shots in stomach and on & off air pressure calf cuffs (don't know the real name) in bed as clot preventative which I believe is just standard procedure.

I'm an early 40s female and haven't been on any meds in the past. I was also diagnosed with Hashi's. I'm "going hypo" now awaiting RAI treatment.

As far as a lobectomy versus a total, a total takes twice as long to do in the operating room. Talk to your doctor as soon as possible about this as far as your concerns and scheduling.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Good luck!

Old 10-12-2005, 11:48 PM   #3
    Queenslander
    (female)

Queenslander HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tadla
    Hi anyone,

Just got in from seeing a movie to help get my mind off of things. I'm really suprised by how anxious I'm becoming. I keep trying to cry, but I just won't let myself. I guess I have a dilemma. I'm trying to figure out if I should ask the surgeon if he could just go ahead and take out the whole thing. I just have this weird feeling that I will have to anyway, so why not all at once? Besides, from what I understand, they almost never know for sure about follicular adenomas/cancer until it is out and sent off. The other thing is that the stupid thing is diseased with Hashi and Graves concomittently , how fortunate? I just don't know.

I also was hoping that some people could answer a few questions:
    For people that have had any FNA with Follicular cells, whether benign or cancerous---had you been on meds for thyroid problems previous to FNA?, Did you have a single nodule or multiple, solid or cyst or both, How big? What did your path report say after FNA and after surgery? Are you female/male? How old when this happened?

I would be sooooo grateful if any of you could answer these questions, you don't even have to write anything back except the answers if you don't have the time. Thanks for what ever you can do!!!

Surgery is Monday, have to call tomorrow to discuss pre-op stuff.
    By the way, anyone could tell me if you had blood work, chest x-rays, EKG, or anything else. It's been since my gallbladder removal, about 16 years ago, since I've been completely put under. Just wondering what the protocol is today???

Thanks and Sacred blessings,

Tabitha
    Hi Tabitha,
    I've just had my surgery (two days ago) and am home now. I had the right half of my thyroid gland removed because of a large nodule measuring 3.6 cm. My FNA showed follicular cells and hurthle cells and colloid but it was benign. I'm 44 years old and have never been on any thyroid medz and won't know if I'm going to be until a few weeks after surgery when I get my blood tested. I had never had such a big operation before and I don't know how different it is here in Australia compared to America but I didn't have any chest x-rays beforehand. The anaesthetist came to see me before surgery and asked me lots of questions and listened to my heart. I had no pre-op medication and was wheeled on a wheelchair into the operating room where they put a local anaesthetic in then the drip. They put a monitor on my forehead which felt like velcro and an oxygen mask on my face and then I faded out and don't remember anything until I was in recovery. The morphine stopped any pain but put me in a twilight zone for several hours. It's been uncomfortable but not painful as such. I also had to wear support stockings and those special inflatable cuffs that were mentioned to prevent blood clots. I had the drip in for several hours after the surgery and then my doctor wanted the base of it left in until he got the results from pathology. I was wondering too whether I should have insisted that I have the whole thyroid removed but he seemed to think the other side looked normal. I was so glad to get the pathology report back that it was benign so I could go home.
    I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as Monday approaches. You'll do just fine.
    Julie

Old 10-13-2005, 03:58 AM   #4
    naja2005
    (female)

naja2005 HB User

Hi Tab,
    I just had my TT a week ago. They checked my CBC, urine,did Chest x-rays and EKG at my pre-op. Once your under they should have a pathologist standing by to see if it is suggestive of cancer and then the surgeon will proceed accordingly from what I understood. I can tell you, I was a nervous wreck a few days before my surgery but if I had to do it again I would in a minute.
    Good luck with your surgery and I'll be thinking of you,
    Tanja

Old 10-13-2005, 08:46 AM   #5
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User
    Re: surgery Monday, follicular cells, HELP!!!

Tabitha.................
    Bless your heart, I sure know how you are feeling....................

I had an FNA with follicular cells. I only took thyroid meds the last 3 weeks before my surgery to try and shrink any of the tissue that might shrink. I also have hashi's and had 2 nodules...........one was 1.9cm on the left lobe and one that was 1.5 cm in the isthmus.

The biopsy said a follicular adenoma with degeneration and no atypical patterns or spotting of cells. Total lymphcyte infiltration and gross deterioration of tissue.

After surgery it was benign. Here is what my surgeon told me.......................he said with hashi's and nodules with follicular cells, it is ALWAYS his opinion to get the whole thing out. He said 9 times out of 10 if you leave the other lobe in the hashi's just starts on that lobe next and then you also develop more nodules which sets you up for another risk of developing a cancerous nodule. He told me the biggest complaint he gets is from patients who come in who had half the gland removed by another dr and now they were in the same boat with the other lobe and facing the surgery again. I signed a waiver telling him to take out the right lobe even if it was disease free. It was clean at the time, but my left lobe had grown down under my collar bone.......it was full of water, it had no normal tissue left and was all inflammation, the disease had spread into the isthmus and had the tissue was grown all over my neck muslce, wrapped around my vocal chord on the left and had spread upward towards my ear canal. There was NO doubt I did the right thing in getting that whole thing out of me. Now I am done with it for life. I feel like a new person. I haven't felt so well in over 5 years.

You really need to ask your surgeon about all of this but if he is highly skilled he should be able to tell you about his experience with thyroids that are overraught with disease. If you have hashi's/graves, I cannot imagine leaving any of it in. It will not make you any better to leave part of it in. In fact, the surgeon told me that total replacement is 100% easier to achieve when the thyroid is totally gone. He said for optimal health relying on meds that is the only way to go. I really, really trusted him and went for it and he told me several times since it was the only way to go and that he was so glad I had signed to let him take the whole mess out so I don't have to worry with it at all anymore.

He said had I left the right lobe in within 2 years I would have been back dealing with all the same illnesses, more nodules, biopsies again and the whole mess, I did NOT want to every go through any of it again.

I am doing great, he also knew after a TT to bang your system with meds ( I turned my meds over to him ) and get you going to prevent hypo. I am now over 2 months post op and never did have hypo set in. I am up to 175mcgs of synthroid and 5-10mcgs of Cytomel. I feel fab and wouldn't change a thing.

Perhaps you have not had a thorough enough discussion with a surgoen to feel confident with your decision? I didn't suffer any worries because I had really, really, grilled him and he was more than happy to lay out his credentials for me. I also asked up front about meds replacement............RAI if needed, t3 usage...........drains.....staples...... ....sutures........all the things you need to know to feel confident.

I had a huge battery of pre surgery workup, chest x-ray, vile after vile of blood..........I had a pre-surgery consult with a surgical nurse and the anesthesiologist. Just make sure you aren't afraid to ask quesitons, it is the only real way to put your mind at ease.

I was awake also when they took me to surgery. But, as soon as I got in there the anesthesiologist came in right away and gave me something to relax me which was wonderful! I was on a stretcher and they actually had me scoot over to the actual operating table which looks like a balance beam. They went over everything again with me..............what would be taking place, gave me an estimate for time................told me who would be with me in recovery and that nurse came in to meet me, it was not bad at all, they were very nice. Next the anesthesiologist said he was putting a "little something:" in my I.V. and I asked him if it was the big stuff and he laughed and said you tell me....................then, he sat on the edge of the table and said talk to me.................I remember thinking "I need to close my eyes first" and the next thing I knew I was in recovery!

Make sure too that they do a prelim biopsy on the nodule because you don't want to find out in a week it was cancerous and then they have to go back in anyway, that has happened to several here on the board. That is another reason to get that whole mess out. I am sure any of us here who have had a TT would say get it all out if you have hashi's with graves while you have the chance............

keep us posted!

Karen

Old 10-13-2005, 09:13 AM   #6
    mbcs
    (female)

mbcs HB User

I find the more information I have the less I worry. Ask questions/research until to felt confident that what you are hearing for your DR you felt comfortable with.

Best of luck
    mb

Old 10-13-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
    tadla
    (female)

tadla HB User

Thank all of you who responded, this kind of support is so encouraging and is immensely appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't sleep much last night, hopefully I'll get a little tonight, but I have to get my kids packed and ready for tomorrow to go to stay with their grandparents in Alabama for next week. My poor 6 yr. old, she is worried about me and doesn't want me to have surgery. On the other hand, my 3 yr. old is quite a "Bob the Builder" fan, and he thinks that I'm broken and the dr. is going to fix me. He even said, " can we fix it?" and I said " yes we can!"
    I thought some of you with or without kids would get a kick out of that, Lord knows I did. And I really needed to laugh today. I don't remember when the last time I have had butterflies in my stomach so bad that I felt sick all day. Sure hope that passes real soon b/c I'm gonna run out of antacid soon from all the heartburn! Ha, LOL>>>

Old 10-14-2005, 06:26 AM   #8
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

Hey tab,

That was cute what your son said! My 12 year old was worried too..............it is hard when they understand.

I hope you are doing ok ...........................remember we are here for ya and at least there are so many of us all going through this whole surgery/recovery together now, it is such a comfort.

Keep us posted!!!!!

Karen

Last edited by merrillin; 10-14-2005 at 06:27 AM.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:34 AM   #9
    mbcs
    (female)

mbcs HB User

Good Morning Tab - I hope you got some sleep last night. I will post my ultrasound results and boipsy results. I have multi nodules on both lobe and the ithimus. I am currently seeking a second opinion because my Endo seem to think everything is fine and she will see me in a year!.....I started meds - sythyroid for hashi exactly one month ago so I was on meds for four weeks b4 boipsy of the largest nodule - done without ultrasound and without lidocain.

I am interested in your scan and results - can you post them:

Below is ultrasound scan results as report by radiologist.
    Ultrasound results are as follows:
    The right thyroid lobe is larger than the left measuring 6.4x1.1x1.9cm in span vs 4.6x1.2x1.7cm. On the right here is a hypoechoic but not anechoic lesion present in the interpolar cortex measuring 4.5.2mm in size with a nearby 7x4x7mm hypoechoic lesion present as well. There is a complex soild and cystic mass in the lower pole of the right lobe in the interpolar region. There are adjacent 4x3x4mm and 7x4x4mm hypoechoic lesions present in the isthmus. No extra-thyroidal mass demonstrated.
    IMPRESSION:
    Multiple thryoid nodules as described above with the dominant complex lesion present in the lower pole on the right measuring 3.1x1.4x1.6cm. Although given the multiplicity I suspect this represents a multinodular goiter and no specific malignant features are identified neoplasm cannot be excluded on the basis of this examination alone. Clinical correlation is necessary.

Biopsy results are of the largest nodule on the right:
    Negative for malignanet cells. Benign follicular cells and hemosiderin-laden macrophages are present.

Old 10-17-2005, 02:18 PM   #10
    Queenslander
    (female)

Queenslander HB User

Hi Tab,
    Just wanting to let you know you're in my prayers as you face surgery today. Hope you have a quick recovery. This time last week I was at the hospital waiting for my own surgery.
    Julie

Old 10-17-2005, 02:20 PM   #11
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

Tab, hopefully it is all over for you now.........................I pray things went ok.

Please,when you get home just post and let us know you are back!

karen

Old 10-18-2005, 10:51 AM   #12
    tadla
    (female)

tadla HB User

Hi everyone,

Made it home today. Very groggyt, can't focus too well, but will type back later. Thank you so much for everyone's prayers and thoughts, I could truly feel them!!!

KAREN---I have some interesting news that I'll share with you later.

MBCS---If you coould give me some e-tra time, I'll be glad to share my scan info, did you mean ultrasound or radioactive scan, both? Let me know!!!

Talk to everyone later, Love you guys, I would have not gotten thru the last couple of months w/o you guys, especially the surgery!!!!!!!!!!

Tabitha

Old 10-18-2005, 10:58 AM   #13
    mbcs
    (female)

mbcs HB User

- I hope you are feeling OK....take you time to reply. I would love to read your scan results and biopsy results. Karen has been helpful to me - got an appointment w/a surgeon 11/1....trying to gather info . thanks!mbcs

Old 10-18-2005, 11:48 AM   #14
    naja2005
    (female)

naja2005 HB User

Hi Tab,
    Good to see you made it through ok. I wish you a speedy recovery.
    see ya,
    Tanja

Old 10-18-2005, 03:06 PM   #15
    Queenslander
    (female)

Queenslander HB User

So glad you're home and over the worst of it Tabitha. Praying for your recovery... rest up.
    Julie

Closed Thread