It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Need advice on test results, they seem to be "normal".

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2005, 10:39 AM   #1
    also2tired
    (female)

also2tired HB User
    Need advice on test results, they seem to be "normal".

I just got my test results back, and they all seem in the "normal range." I was tested for thyroid antibodies, TSH, free T3, and free T4. The results are as follows: Anti-thyroglobulin AB <20 (normal is <40), Antithryoid peroxidase <10 (normal is <35), TSH 2.95 (normal is .35-5.50), free T3: 3.1 (normal is 2.3-4.2), and free T4 is .8 (normal is .8-1.8).

If my results are normal, then why do I feel so bad? I sometimes have debilitating fatigue (even on my good days when I feel well, I wear out before the end of the day), bouts of depression, low blood pressure and low pulse, cold hands and cold feet (although the rest of my body can feel warm), carpal tunnel syndrome which comes and goes and varies in severity, anxiety (including a few full-blown panic attacks a long time ago which felt like heart attacks), and I over-react to everything, even the smallest little thing can upset me, cause me to yell at my children, or start crying, etc. I also have trouble sleeping at night. I often wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep. My family history includes diabetes, thyroid problems, fibromyalgia, asthma, osteoarthritis, and probably other diseases and conditions. Can someone please give me advice on my test results, and is there anything else I can do? I don't have health insurance, so I just had healthcheckusa do these thyroid tests for me. My husband is worried about the costs of everything, but I really want to feel better. Also, would nutritional supplements help such as kelp or selenium? I already take 6 fish oil capsules everyday. (Would fish oil affect my thyroid tests at all?) Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2005, 10:55 AM   #2
    annemv
    Veteran
    (female)

annemv HB User
    Re: Need advice on test results, they seem to be "normal".

I am not a thyroid expert, but I don not find those results 'normal". I wold feel really bad with ft4 of.8.
    I think that you said you don't have insurance, so you can't really hop from dr to dr. So, maybe you could do a ton of research tyring to find the right dr to go to, so you don't waste to much money.
    I would go to Mary (can't rememeberlast name) site, the armour site and see if you see the same dr's name coming up in your area. Then call around and talk to the nurses, you will be able to get a feel...
    Also post where you live and maybe someone here has a great doc for you to go see.
    I have gotten treatment with a lower tsh and higher ft4 than yours.
    Good Luck!

Old 10-17-2005, 11:14 AM   #3
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Yes, you definitely need some thyroid meds.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:50 PM   #4
    also2tired
    (female)

also2tired HB User

Before seeing any doctor, I want to arm myself with as much information as possible since it has been my experience in the past that they tend to attribute all of my symptoms to "depression." Right now, I don't really have the money to see a doctor yet, but when I do, I want to know what I am talking about! I am seeking lots of knowledge. Thanks for replying.

Old 10-17-2005, 02:32 PM   #5
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

you show all the signs of hypo and a good dr and I use the term loosely will know that.........your free t4 is way too low, and your tsh is too high. It doesn't matter if they are "in range", nobody knows where YOUR normal range is. Read up on all these threads and you can arm yourself with a wealth of knowledge. Dr's will say you are perfect with those labs but that will be the sign they do not know what they are talking about.............

Karen

Old 10-17-2005, 05:51 PM   #6
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Go to the library and get a copy of Solved: The Riddle of Illness by Dr. Stephen Langer. It gives many tips for getting a diagnosis from stubborn doctors.
    Then read Thyroid for Dummies by Dr. Alan Rubin. It will teach you the basics of thyroid function, tests, and treatment.

Closed Thread