It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Lady50 and anyone else who's TRIED Armour.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2005, 02:53 AM   #1
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User
    Lady50 and anyone else who's TRIED Armour.

Hi me again! I am wondering how youare doing on your switch from Armour to Synthroid? I am thinking of going that route as the Armour, (like you) I think is too strong for me at this point. Yes, I had the RAI 6 years ago, but my number are really only slightly off and thus I feel not so good. I think I need to dose T4 and T3 separately. I started this whole mess with these numbers:

Ft3 3.1 (2.2-4.3)
    FT4 1.28 (0.20-1.60)
    TSH 1.57

As you can see they are not in the upper 1/2 to 1/3 but very close and unfortunately off just enough for me to have been getting major brain fog, aches and pains, depression and a host of other little anoying difficult to diagnose annoyances (yeast infections, very dry skin that comes and goes...and on and on!)

SO I am thinking of going back to square 1 as 2 grains did not do it, and 3/4 grains gave me low T4 and high T3. The other place insists I probably have adrenal problems or low ferritin....may be something to that, but so far testing has not shown any major problem...meanwhile I suffer and feel like I am going no where.

I tried adding T4 of 25mcg to Armour...went for 5 days and again I felt just so awful so cut for only one day to 12.5 and felt ok, even good the next day but then crashed the day after that (FOGGY!!!).

I am thinking of dropping the Armour and starting at 25mcg of T4 and HOLDING no matter what for 4-6 weeks. I will go that long as long as I don't feel worse the whole time... (previously 50mcg quite a while back gave me numbers after two weeks of FT3 3.6 and FT4 1.78 (wow) and TSH 0.28 (quite a drop)...I was inexperience so I kept upping the synthroid every two weeks....bad mistake I think and I never really saw what I felt like giving it an ample amount of time (maybe)

Don't quite know where to go from here...I need to stick to something and I would if I could at least not feel WORSE the whole 6 weeks as I wait...I can feel the same but not worse! Pixiek

Last edited by pixiek; 10-22-2005 at 02:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2005, 08:24 AM   #2
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User
    Re: Lady50 and anyone else who's TRIED Armour.

Pix, you know our circumstances are a bit different but, I could not get the relief of symptoms from Armour at all. I did the switch to synthroid and cytomel all in one day from Armour and I had 2 days of feeling like a truck had hit me, but after that no problems......................I am one of those does much, much better on the t4/t3 in seperate doses. I need alot of t4 but the t3 I do better with just a smidge. One other thing I like is you can change one dose of the med like up your t4 without it changing your t3 since it is in a different pill. Do you think you should just make a switch and try the t4 and t3 meds seperately?

You sure have given the armour a fair shake, perhaps you should try the synthroid and cytomel and see if you have better success? My dr just told me to give it a try and if we had to we could always go back to armour. I am just one of those that does much better on the synthetics, maybe you are too....................I might consider giving it a shot at this point..............see what happens.

I think the mind fogginess and energy was gone right away on synthroid, armour even made me gain weight. It might not agree with you?

Good luck friend,
    Karen

Old 10-22-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Pix, 25 mcgs is going to make your barely function IMO anyway. I know it is hard and wish that there was a good answer. But, I tell ya there are so many people that have to add t4 to their Armour. Maybe you should just get back on the 25 mcgs plus your Armour and give it 4 weeks. Keep an eye on your temperatures.

I am afraid if you drop that low, you are going to feel much worse than you do now. Not trying to be your doctor, but 25 mcgs. is barely nothing to take all by itself.

So far, I don't know, think maybe I am doing okay. Don't have the brain fog, temps get up to 98.6 during the afternoon, starting to get some swelling of my hands, some little heart thumps now and then. My doctor isn't worth a crap, so might have to selfmedicate again, cause I cannot afford to go to an expensive doc.Can't use Armour right now, for it is too strong for me since not being that hypo yet.

This advice might not be worth a darn, but that is all I know that you could do.

Old 10-22-2005, 05:48 PM   #4
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User

Oh, boy thanks so much for your help and commments! Just hearing it give me some hope to go on! Today I have the in-laws so no changes in meds for a few days...wouldn't want to start WWIII! I will put a little more thought into it....both your suggestions were so good and it really helps me to hear my friends' opinions! Pixiek

Old 10-22-2005, 09:40 PM   #5
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User
    Smile Re: Lady50 and anyone else who's TRIED Armour.

Hey Pixie....

Me too! I was on Armour for 14 months, and just didn't do well either. It just had way too much T3 in it for me. It would've been okay, I think, if my Dr. had been agreeable to let me try to reduce it some, and then add some T4, but no such luck. Anyway, I have done really well on Levothroid, and after about 8 months, I've finally hit those optimal levels, and I'm feeling really well. I was really afraid to go back to T4, thinking I'd get sicker, but fortunately, that wasn't the case, and I'm finally feeling healthier,... sleeping all night again, no more dry skin, no pain all over, rash on my face is gone, not constipated, no more hair falling out, (lost a ton of it), no more twitches, vibrating, peeing 30 x a day, etc., etc,...I could go on and on...life is good again, and boy, am I happy! I hope whatever you do helps you feel better soon! Somethings gotta work!!
    Good luck!
    Deda

Last edited by Deda; 10-22-2005 at 09:51 PM.

Old 10-23-2005, 03:00 AM   #6
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User

Dede, that is really encouraging! I am scared to go back...but if I think about it I really had trouble on armour and synthroid...initial adjustments were really hard for me, but if I examine it more closely, it is probably the case of being too anxious to feel better and upping too much too soon...

The thing I am most afraid of is feeling worse than I do now...when I got overdosed, I felt so bad, and though everyone says to wait 6 weeks and retest...that is a long time to wait to confirm that the reason you feel even worse is that you are again over dosed! It IS scary!

If you can help me, you see my number were not all that bad to start. (see post above).

And 50mcg for about three weeks gave me TSH of 0.05 and FT3 of 3.5 (top of range 4.2) and FT4 of 1.83 (top of range 1.60)

...even on that small amount my numbers really jumped and I felt worse!!!!! This is why I am so scared.

On 3.4 grain of Armour I got FT4 of 1.1 and FT3 of 3.6...so FT4 is too low....ahhh...I only tried adding 25mcg for 5 days and dropped the Armour to 1/2 grain...but that was scary as I started to get those old familiar symptoms of overdose again (or was it just adjustment????how do you tell!!!!!)....SO:

1. Try to hang in there on new dose of 25mcg of Synthroid added to my new slightly lowered dose of Armour 1/2 grain

OR

2. Start over at Synthroid only, but at 25 mcg only and see how my body will convert to the FT3...it did it very well (too well!) when I was on 50mcg of Synthroid....but I was so anxious about all the "miracle" of Armour I perhaps prematurely switched.

Ok, everyone, which one do you vote for, option 1 or 2? Or any other suggestions?

Lady50 I think your vote is for #1 and I am SO HAPPY to hear you are doing better despite stupid doctor! Pixiek

Last edited by pixiek; 10-23-2005 at 03:07 AM.

Old 10-23-2005, 03:53 AM   #7
    Deda
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Deda HB User

Hi Pixie...

Yeah, you're right, you obviously have no problem converting T4 to T3. I didn't have my Free levels checked before I started meds, but I think I'm the same way, as the T3 in Armour kept my T3 levels high also, and only went down if I lowered it enough, that my T4 levels were sitting at the bottom of the range...which made me feel absolutely horrible.

So I really can't say, Pixie. Maybe you can go along with Lady50's suggestion, and with the lowered dosages, you'll do okay...and if that doesn't work, then you can always go back to the Synthroid alone, (I did awful on that drug too), at the 25 mcg dosage...maybe that's all you need for now,...a low dose. It doesn't seem that a dose that low would help most people, (and it probably wouldn't help most), but my hairstylist was only on 25 mcg's of Levothroid for the first 5 years after her dx, and she felt great on that small of a dose. They just called her a few months ago to inform her that her levels showed that she needed an increase to 50 mcg. So, yeah, maybe there are a few of us who only need a small dose for a while. (How long since you were dx'd?)

Whatever you decide on Pixie, just keep an eye on things, and call or see your Dr. if you're having problems. My prayers are with you girl, that you'll feel better soon!
    Deda

Old 10-23-2005, 05:03 PM   #8
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User

Ok, I just may go with you and Lady50....oh, goodness I hope I don't feel worse...ok, I will give it two weeks no matter how I feel...and do labs....

BUT, A week and 1/2 ago when I tried this (only for 5 days BUT) I just kept feeling worse and worse...so hard to hang in there when that happens...and should you??????I was getting diarrhea and so foggy I left the gas on the stove...that doesn't seem too good does it? I wonder if these were adjustment symptoms or overdose symptoms...any thoughts?

thanks for your support! Pixiek

Old 10-25-2005, 04:01 AM   #9
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

How are you doing Pixie? How have you decided to take your meds?

Old 10-25-2005, 04:57 PM   #10
    pixiek
    Inactive
    (female)

pixiek HB User

Oh, hi Lady50! Thank you so much for asking about me...means a lot!

With the help of my husband, because med changes are so difficult for me and thus hard to stay the course, I have decided to try Armour 1/2 grain and 25mcg of Synthroid for two weeks and retest. It may not be long enough for some people, but for me as I am SOOO sensitive to meds, the thyroid meds show up very quickly in the blood levels. I have a feeling that this amount just may be too much for me...I am really an exceptional case. Even on onlyu 50mcg of Synthroid I got very high blood levels. I am only on day 3 but already I have been: very tired, very foggy, diarrhea, gas...but other than that I am feeling ok (being sarcastic!).

I think I read on the other board that you are going to add in something? The 50mcg is no good for you? What are you blood levels? UGH, Lady, how are we going to get through this!!!! Pixiek

Last edited by pixiek; 10-25-2005 at 04:58 PM.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:12 AM   #11
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I know about the stomach problems, cause mine has been so messed up. Don't know if it is the flu, or my levels dropping. My hands are quite swollen this morning, so that is not a good sign. My resting pulse will go down to 54, then back up to 60(depends on my coffee consumption)

Was on estrogen replacement and it was starting to make me feel bad, so it went to the trash. Just watching pulse and temps. I am sure my doc wouldn't up my meds. He said he was keeping me on 50mcgs. Right now not doing too bad, but WILL have some extra on standby.

Also, I am starting to get that overwhelmed feeling, and with the swollen hands, stomach problems. One day I am okay, the next not. Maybe the thyroid is still dumping as it dies, and making me feel this way.

I wish you luck on your new dose.

Closed Thread