It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• "tight throat" sensation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User
    "tight throat" sensation

hi all

i appeal to you for yet another question.

recently diagnosed with hypo, one of my symptoms is the tight throat sensation, or maybe what some would call the golf ball in throat sensation. my endo says my thyroid is "enlarged, but not remarkably". he says the sensation can be just because my thyroid is a bit sore right now and some people are more sensitive than others in the throat are.

three other docs have felt my throat and they sense no enlargement at all.

just as a sidenote, i'm getting a new endo. i want an ultrasound.

whats weird is the "tightness" varies - sometimes its not so bad and easy to ignore. other times its very unpleasant and distracting. i dont understand why the sensation would vary. there is no pattern to it - its not worse at any particular time of the day/night.

if it is just my thyroid being sore, how long will i have to be on meds before this sensation goes away?

thanks!!

Last edited by scoot; 10-28-2005 at 01:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
    Changedusername
    Inactive
    (male)

Changedusername HB User
    Re: "tight throat" sensation

That's what I get and all the docs think Im nuts, yet I am sure my goiter shrinks and swells. That's probably what's happening to you too. You have to somehow "catch" your swollen goiter and have an Endo appoitment at the same time.

My doc practically laughed me out of his office saying my thyroid felt "slightly firm" but my wife can attest that when that sucker feels like flaring up you can see a ping pong ball sized tumor looking thing sticking out of my neck. These Endo's don't know crap about thyroid.

A good case of Hashi's will make your thyroid swell and shrink and I don't care what the doctors say. I know for a fact my thyroid grows and shrinks constantly. I can even go one better by saying that as it grows, not only is mine painful, but I get hyper symptoms and a stabbing pain right below my collarbone above my heart on the right side...same exact place every single time for almost 3 years now when my thyroid flares up.

Last edited by nastyhashi; 10-28-2005 at 01:24 PM.

Old 10-28-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
    naja2005
    (female)

naja2005 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scoot
    hi all

i appeal to you for yet another question.

recently diagnosed with hypo, one of my symptoms is the tight throat sensation, or maybe what some would call the golf ball in throat sensation. my endo says my thyroid is "enlarged, but not remarkably". he says the sensation can be just because my thyroid is a bit sore right now and some people are more sensitive than others in the throat are.

three other docs have felt my throat and they sense no enlargement at all.

just as a sidenote, i'm getting a new endo. i want an ultrasound.

whats weird is the "tightness" varies - sometimes its not so bad and easy to ignore. other times its very unpleasant and distracting. i dont understand why the sensation would vary. there is no pattern to it - its not worse at any particular time of the day/night.

if it is just my thyroid being sore, how long will i have to be on meds before this sensation goes away?

thanks!!
    Hi scoot,
    Listen my doctor told me as well that my thyroid was just a little enlarged.
    They did un ultrasound and scan which showed nodules. Get the ultrasound ,I had the same sensations. I just had a TT and they didn't realize how bad it actually was until the surgery. Mine was wrapped around my vocalcord and grew under my collarbone. This might not be the case for you but to be on the safe side get everything checked.
    Good luck,
    Tanja

Old 10-28-2005, 02:03 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You can have the sensation without any enlargement or nodules. I did.
    The thyroid has nerves, and they can send strange signals to the brain for just about any irritation... Just garden-variety inflammation can cause the nerves to make the brain "think" something is stuck there when it actually isn't. A matter of perception, if you will.
    Mine went away after my thyroid levels improved.

Old 10-28-2005, 02:09 PM   #5
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User

hey nasty - when is a goiter a goiter? i mean, i really dont know what a goiter is, i guess. is a slightly swollen thyroid automatically considered a goiter? hmmm

and naja - whats a TT? is that a stupid question? does it mean thyroid tumor?

midwest - this is one reason why it took a while to get diagnosed. i kept thinking it was "globerus hystericus". (i think thats the name) since it comes and goes, and i've got an anxious nature. its so weird.

we'll see the reasons behind my sensation soon i hope.

thank you all.

Last edited by scoot; 10-28-2005 at 02:10 PM.

Old 10-28-2005, 02:12 PM   #6
    naja2005
    (female)

naja2005 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scoot
    hey nasty - when is a goiter a goiter? i mean, i really dont know what a goiter is, i guess. is a slightly swollen thyroid automatically considered a goiter? hmmm

and naja - whats a TT? is that a stupid question? does it mean thyroid tumor?

midwest - this is one reason why it took a while to get diagnosed. i kept thinking it was "globerus hystericus". (i think thats the name) since it comes and goes, and i've got an anxious nature. its so weird.

we'll see the reasons behind my sensation soon i hope.

thank you all.
    Hi scoot ,
    Sorry, TT means Total Thyroidectomy.

Old 10-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #7
    Changedusername
    Inactive
    (male)

Changedusername HB User

Im not sure I know when a goiter is a goiter. I don't think you need to look like those 3rd. world people with bullfrog necks to be considered having a goiter. Mine is fairly inconspicuous to the outside world unless you knew what you were looking for. I guess it would include any unusual swelling. The thyroid swells in order to pump out more hormone so that condition would be called a goiter I guess.

Old 10-28-2005, 04:51 PM   #8
    mbcs
    (female)

mbcs HB User

My thyroid swells and shrinks also.....one trick I've used a couple of weeks before endo appointment is I start to eat goiterden foods and drink tea by the 16oz glass!.....Of course you need to put up with the side effect of a swollen thyroid and or nodule but at least the dr, endo or US has something it see

Old 10-28-2005, 07:40 PM   #9
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User

thank you all. very helpful info.

Old 10-29-2005, 08:01 AM   #10
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

scoot.............I too had that sensation before having my thyroid out..........they tried to tell me it was anxiety...........pfff. Mine was like Tanja's............wrapped around my vocal chord and down under my collar bone, I think that explains the tight throat feeling not to mention it went away after the thyroid was out of there!

Karen

Old 10-29-2005, 02:50 PM   #11
    Changedusername
    Inactive
    (male)

Changedusername HB User

KANT>> I don't mean to hijack the post, but did you not ever have a sono of your gland before hand? Did they not see it wrapped all over everything on the sono? What did the sono look like? I am concerned because I am positive my thyrois goes into my chest. When my gland swells I get a burning sensation in the same place (about 3 fingers-width down from the ridge of my collarbone and about 2 fingers towards my right side) but my sono was ok with regard to placement. It appeared my entire thyroid was where its supposed to be.

Old 10-29-2005, 03:00 PM   #12
    naja2005
    (female)

naja2005 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nastyhashi
    KANT>> I don't mean to hijack the post, but did you not ever have a sono of your gland before hand? Did they not see it wrapped all over everything on the sono? What did the sono look like? I am concerned because I am positive my thyrois goes into my chest. When my gland swells I get a burning sensation in the same place (about 3 fingers-width down from the ridge of my collarbone and about 2 fingers towards my right side) but my sono was ok with regard to placement. It appeared my entire thyroid was where its supposed to be.
    Hi Nastyhashi,
    I know this was for Karen but I had the same thing. They did not know how bad it was until I was in surgery. Nothing showed up on the ultrasound or scan.
    Tanja

Old 10-29-2005, 04:09 PM   #13
    Changedusername
    Inactive
    (male)

Changedusername HB User

Interesting. Thank you. I wonder why it would not show up. I wonder if they just did not go low enough during the sonos (Ive had 2 so far and I could see myself the 2 distinct, albeit fat and grainy, lobes.)

Your thyroid went right down into your chest too? Did you have pain when it swelled up? Was the pain below your collarbone?

Old 10-29-2005, 05:08 PM   #14
    naja2005
    (female)

naja2005 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nastyhashi
    Interesting. Thank you. I wonder why it would not show up. I wonder if they just did not go low enough during the sonos (Ive had 2 so far and I could see myself the 2 distinct, albeit fat and grainy, lobes.)

Your thyroid went right down into your chest too? Did you have pain when it swelled up? Was the pain below your collarbone?
    I'm not sure why it doesn't show, all it said was that my thyroid was moderately enlarged (what a joke). Mine was growing under my collarbone, was wrapped around my vocalcords and they didn't see that. I used to get chestpain,almost felt like I was having a heartattack or something. Sometimes it would just feel like something very heavy was on my chest and I couldn't get enough air. Since the surgery no chestpain or heavyness whatsoever.
    Tanja

Last edited by naja2005; 10-29-2005 at 05:20 PM.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:19 PM   #15
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

Nasty,
    Same here, I did have the sono but it only showed enlargement and the 2 nodules. It didn't show anything close to what the surgeon found in there..................They went down to my collar bone during the sono, but it only showed a grainy area............I don't think all that tissue shows up, I am convinced..............besides nobody knew about my vocal chords and I was so hoarse sometimes I could barely talk.........

I wouldn't count on the sono as a true picture..........

Karen

Closed Thread