It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• when will I lose this wieght

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2005, 09:26 AM   #1
    hashischic
    (female)

hashischic HB User
    when will I lose this wieght

I am really getting frusterated. For the past month I have been exercising a bunch and nothing is happening. I swim every day for an hour then do cardio and lift weights for an hour to and hour and a half then swim laps again for another 2 hours. This is 3-3.5 hours of exercise a day five days a week...some days I work out from 1-5 when I have time. I also have been eating less and I am more tired and my thyroid problems are getting worse...worst of all I am still gaining wieght. This is so depressing!!! What else can I do? I am 5'5 and 150 pounds. I want to lose 15-20 pounds and it just is not happening; I have been trying for 2 years now to lose wieght and have only gained it...and it is not muscle! I still have the fat I was dx with Hashi's hypothyroidism last Christmas and I really just want to get over it already. My ex boyfriend used to always say that he did not wwant to have kids with me because I have bad genes because of the thyroid problem and my vitiligo...another autoimmune disorder.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
    Jo-chan
    (female)

Jo-chan HB User
    Re: when will I lose this wieght

I've been struggling with my weight for years and I totally sympathize with you and your situation. I'd been working out like mad and tracking my calories very carefully with no weight loss. Then when I finally started treating my hypothyroidism with thyroid meds I GAINED weight instead of losing. It has been extremely frustrating.

Are you taking any kind of thyroid meds since being diagnosed with Hashi's? I think my problem is that I still haven't found the right dosage and/or the right med that works for me, and I'm guessing that may be your problem, too. Have you talked to your doctor about what's been going on?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hashischic
    My ex boyfriend used to always say that he did not wwant to have kids with me because I have bad genes because of the thyroid problem and my vitiligo...another autoimmune disorder.
    Oh, my. Thank goodness this guy is your ex and you're no longer with this loser.

Old 11-10-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
    Polinka

Polinka HB User

You will never loose your weight this way, you sipmly exersising to much. When you exersise to such a degree your body goes into a lock out and actualy can prevent you from loosing weight. Stop torturing yourself, better, got to the gym and ask for a private lesson one on one with experienced trainer to estimate how much cardio and weight lifting should you do. You sjould never do more then 40 min. to 60 min. of cardio every day + 30-45 min of weight training every other day. Plus it is extremely important to get enough proteins in your diet, as well as fiber.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:57 PM   #4
    lbright
    (female)

lbright HB User

I have found that cutting out all carbs and eating more fruits and vege's has helped me. I have lost 6lbs in the last 4 weeks. Good luck and don't give up.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:48 PM   #5
    lucky7
    (female)

lucky7 HB User

I was told by my endo that I would have to work out 3x as hard as a regular healthy person in order to see results and that I would have to be leveled with the medication dose I was taking. For me she was right.

I am doing weights (25 minutes) 3-4x a week and cardio (30 min) 5-6x a week. I took me 3 yrs to be able to discipline myself to do it. I was not redy for that kind of commitment even though I wanted to lose weight.

Also I am only eating healthy. I am not doing low carb, atkins or south beach.

this is how I eat:
    4 servings meats
    3 servings starches
    3 servings vegetable (sometimes I have more of these)
    2 servings milk
    2 servings fat (you need some fat in your diet)
    2 servings fruit
    8 glasses of water

As for how much in each serving...read the lables and eat just what they say is one serving. It is super easy to do and not so strict. I needed a diet that I could live with not one to help me lose weight only. I wanted to be able to continue eating this way afterwards. I am continuing my struggle with weight loss but I am losing and not gaining anymore. The loss is slow but you have to have patience considering your condition. Also NO DIET PILLS. That is the worst thing you can do to yourself. It will only mess up your thyroid more.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:16 PM   #6
    Ltraci2
    (female)

Ltraci2 HB User

Go read some of my posts from the last couple months. There aren't many, but they do share my weight issues. Some of the older posts mentioned how hard I was working out too. I have about doubled my weight in the past 5 years and now have about 125# to lose at the moment.

It was sure true for me that I couldn't lose until my thyroid was given some help.

Good luck,
    Traci

Old 11-10-2005, 09:59 PM   #7
    lucky7
    (female)

lucky7 HB User

I just started going through your posts. I found this statement in the weight loss boards:

quote: I just saw an advertisement for Max Ten and found a website that sells it. It has Ma Huang concentrate (150mg) which I understand to be Ephedra. I like Ephedra, was the only product that seemed to help before my thyroid went out of whack.

Taking ephedra can cause your thyroid to go out of whack. I know this because after having kids I thought these pills would help me. They did but I gained the weight back after I got off of them. I kept doing it and that caused my thyroid to go out of whack. Now I am having to do everything I can to make it better. I am on 125mcg of synthroid and have been on synthroid since July of 2002.

I will do take a B-12 supplement (liquid) and that helps me. I had to take baby steps in order to make a difference for myself. I failed many times but kept trying. I did plenty of research on the internet and had plenty of discussions with my endo over the phone. I was not about to let this damn thing get the best of me. I went from 127 to 175. In one month I had gained 10 lbs. I was so miserable. I was offered antidepressants but refused them. It took everything out of me to fight this thing. The fight will never be over and I am always learning new things to do to help myself.

I remember working my butt off trying to lose weight and nothing. I would give up after a month of nothing. I felt I was fighting a losing battle. When I was at a good level (labs results) that is when I noticed that I was making progress with the workouts. When they were off I had no results.

All I can say is don't give up. I don't care if you feel like you are getting nowhere. Keep it up.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:30 PM   #8
    Ltraci2
    (female)

Ltraci2 HB User

Yes, I get desperate from time to time - but I haven't bought any diet pills. I don't like drugs and only take them if I have. Heck, I even quit coffee a few years ago!

I was put on antidepressants a few years ago and while they did help me be 'happier', I was 1. on a drug and 2. gained 30 pounds!

I couldn't see being on antidepressants for the rest of my life. Especially since I used to be the kind of person that believed that you just dealt with things - you didn't wallow or ignore them. I used to be a much more positive person.

I plan on getting back to exercise - I was doing my bench aerobics daily for 45 minutes for about 3 months and only continued to gain. I was watching what I ate too. And at round 100# overweight at the time, I had plenty to lose.

I know I'm getting older - we all are - and our bodies do change. But I just couldn't believe mine had changed THAT much in such a small time. I am actually eager to see what exercise will do now.

If only I can kick this cold! I have been so tired the last few weeks!

Thanks, and you hang in there too!

Old 11-11-2005, 05:35 AM   #9
    stephanieadams
    (female)

stephanieadams HB User

Exercise is the absolutely best thing that you can do. I work-out 6 days a week - I run about 3-5 miles and do 1 1/2 hours of weights. This has helped me only to maintain a healthy weight and most of all it does wonders for the depression that hypo can cause. I also have found that staying away from all processed foods and refined sugars helps with weight as well as depression. I eat a ton of fresh fruit, vegetables and whole grain breads and get plenty of protein through some meats, organic dairy and Myoplex and American Whey protein drinks. Don't get me wrong....I have fallen off the wagon and gone on binges, but that is when I figured out how miserable the processed, sugary foods make me. It's incredible what a difference the right foods make. The amino acid Tyrosine plays an important role in thyroid function. The protein drinks have all of the amino acids in it or you could take supplements of L-Tyrosine I also take B vitamins and vitex(helps regulate estrogen levels and control mood swings) too much estrogen can also interfere with thyroid function. I don't rely on Dr.'s to tell me what is best for me....if I did I would still be overweight and depressed. I have consistently refused to take anti-depressants and when I feel a depression coming on I usually just re-evaluate my diet and can easily figure out where I might be able to tweak it to get back on track. My friends make fun of my strict eating, but they don't have to deal with the issues that I am dealing with. I know I will never be "skinny" I am 5'8" and weigh about 141 with muscle. I'm healthy and have to keep reminding myself of that. I lost my thyroid, but I'm stopping it there.

Old 11-11-2005, 08:55 AM   #10
    Ltraci2
    (female)

Ltraci2 HB User

Steph - How wonderful! Keep it up!

I know what we put into our bodies has SO much to do with how we feel. Our bodies are a machine after all. Food is my biggest problem too. I don't eat hardly any fruits or veggies. So, I keep trying to add more to my diet, but it never lasts for long.

I don't like to cook either and have often said I'd do so much better with a full time cook!

Old 11-15-2005, 07:48 PM   #11
    lucky7
    (female)

lucky7 HB User

Steph...that was a very inspirational post. I know many of us cannot run 3-5 miles a day. How did you get started? Right now I am doing 20 minutes of Bowflex 3x a week. I need to increase it but I have been doing baby steps so I won't burn out and fall of that wagon. I also do about 30 minutes of cardio (Walk Away the Pounds -1 mile). I am not worried about my eating habits because I learned how to control that a while back. You are right....you feel so much better when you eat right. I am interested in the L-Tyrosine and protein drinks. Also what is vitex?

I am 5'7" and weigh 170lbs. I used to weigh 127. I want to build muscle and my dr said it would be hard for me because of my thyroid problems. I would just have to work real hard at it.

Old 11-16-2005, 07:23 AM   #12
    soccerspeed

soccerspeed HB User

congrats, steph :-)

i'm in a similar position. i used to weigh 110 lbs (i'm 5'7'') and i ran D-I cross country and still play semi-pro soccer and workout 7 days a week, usually 5-10 miles of heavy trail running, plus riding my bike to the train (3 miles each way) to get to work during the week, and run 2 miles each way to get from the train station to my office.

i now weigh about 140-145 lbs. i'm also a strict vegan and eat under 2000 calories a day.

does it suck? yeah, it does. i never get the comment i've always gotten ("you're so skinny"), but i do get "you look so healthy." if only they knew how this disease has ravaged the inside of my body. then again, i just moved states, so no one know what i looked like pre-"moon face."

lol. keep it up.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:08 PM   #13
    lucky7
    (female)

lucky7 HB User

What is the difference between L-Tyrosine and L-Lysine?

Old 11-17-2005, 02:46 PM   #14
    lucky7
    (female)

lucky7 HB User

...also how many mg are you taking of L-tyrosine and how many protein drinks do you drink each day?

Old 11-18-2005, 10:05 AM   #15
    lucky7
    (female)

lucky7 HB User

bumping this for Steph.

Closed Thread