It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Abnormal TSH & normal free t4? now what?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2005, 10:38 PM   #1
    knitbebe
    (female)

knitbebe HB User
    Question Abnormal TSH & normal free t4? now what? really confused and need help asap!

I recently took blood panel because of problems that I was having with restless leg syndrome.

My TSH was high (8.679) the doctor followed up witha free t4 and it came back normal. I have symptoms that indicate that there is a thyroid problem---not ovulating--inferitility, long menstral cycles, pronounced cervical fluid (as if my body is trying to ovulate, but doesn't), weight gain, dry skin and worse rrl symptoms that have become difficult to treat--and lastly I have had an autoaummoine disease--R.A. 15 years ago for 3 yrs(have been in remission for last 12 yrs.)

Does a normal free t4 indicate that I do not have a thyroid problem, although tsh was abnormal?

would love to hear your thoughts on what could be going on, & should I follow up with my doc.?

Thanks so much,
    knitbebe

Last edited by knitbebe; 11-17-2005 at 11:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2005, 03:35 AM   #2
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: Abnormal TSH & normal free t4? now what?

The lab ranges are usually very wide, and anything in the normal range is okay with some docs. That is not true, because most people, including myself feel best with the Ft4 and Ft3 in the upper part of their ranges.

My doctor said that anything within the range is just fine and dandy. With all the research and talking with other people with hypothyroidism, I know that is wrong.

With you having those messed up cycles and prolonged bleeding and the weight gain is sure signs of hypothyroidism. Also , depression,tiredness are symptoms of hypothyroidism. Actually there is a long list of hypothyroidism symptoms, and you can find these in the STICKY ARCHIVE at the top of the boards.

Yes, you need to follow up with your doctor. But do not let the doc just look at your TSH while being in treatment, because the Ft4 and Ft3 show the actual thyroid hormones in your bloodstream.

Good luck

Old 11-18-2005, 05:38 AM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

In the nearly three years I've been reading this board, I've only once - maybe twice - seen an FT4 level below the normal range, even when TSH was well above-range. I would bet your FT4, while not below the range, is probably very low within it. Do you have your result and the range to post here?

The fact is that FT4 below mid-range can cause problems. A good doctor will know that and start treatment for you anyway, because of the symptoms combined with the high TSH. It's extremely likely you're hypothyroid. Find a better MD if he won't help you.

Old 11-18-2005, 07:53 AM   #4
    Changedusername
    Inactive
    (male)

Changedusername HB User

If it helps, my TSH last week was 16! But my Free T4 was .8 which is the very bottom of the normal range.

Old 11-18-2005, 02:33 PM   #5
    knitbebe
    (female)

knitbebe HB User

I went and picked up my free T 4 results and it was .89(reference interval is 0.6-1.7.

As stated before my TSH was 8.796.

Any thoughts on what could be going on?

Thanks,
    knitbebe

Old 11-18-2005, 02:36 PM   #6
    knitbebe
    (female)

knitbebe HB User

nastyhashi,
    I'm interested in hearing what others say about your numbers---Your TSH is high and your Free T4 truly borders on abnormal. Your numbers are more definitive than mine I would think---(from someone who knows very little about the thyroid)

knitbebe

Old 11-18-2005, 03:44 PM   #7
    Changedusername
    Inactive
    (male)

Changedusername HB User

Hashi's could do that. I have found that my TBG was abnormally high. TBG is thyroid binding globulin, the main transport protein involved with getting the hormone into your cells, which could explain the higher free T4 and Free T3 scores I have, given my really high TSH.

Additionally, 1 month ago my TSH was only 5.5 and a month before that it was 15.6, so it can fluctuate wildly with Hashi's.

I wish my numbers were more definitive. That is why I am still not treated in 3 years of suffering. My Total T3 is abnormally high almost all the time. My Free T3 is absolutely perfect all the time. BUT.....I not only tested positive for sky-high hashi's antibodies, I also tested positive for TSI which is indicative of Hashitoxicosis or Graves' Disease. My doctors are stumped what to do with me. My temperature is almost always 99.3 or higher with high heart rate (102 - 112 is common for me) and shakiness, anxiety and tremors, yet I am fat and "look" hypo. Doc takes a look at me and says Im hypo. Then I tell him my symptoms and he says Graves'. The two diseases have different protocols for treatment so I am stuck in the middle with nothing.

How do I take Synthroid for my Hashi's when my T3 is already high and my heart rate is real fast and I am already a nervous wreck with tremors? That's my main problem. I "feel" like I have Graves' Disease personally. I think I need my gland removed to be resolved. I tried taking Synthroid 3 times and it threw me for a loop each time...really bad and really hyper feeling..it was horrible.

Last edited by nastyhashi; 11-18-2005 at 03:50 PM.

Old 11-18-2005, 08:43 PM   #8
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

knitbebe,
    What's "going on" is that you're hypothyroid. Your TSH is high, your FT4 is low, you have symptoms. Since you have one autoimmune disease, you have a higher than normal tendency toward others. Hashimoto's thyroiditis springs to mind. You should have your antithyroid antibodies checked - TPO and Tg. Your MD is being outrageously negligent in not giving you a trial of supplemental hormone.
    It's hard to imagine what goes on in his type of obstinate mind.

Closed Thread