It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• 'normal' labs but felt better after thyroidectomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2005, 03:15 AM   #1
    tygwyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tygwyn HB User
    'normal' labs but felt better after thyroidectomy?

Hi Guys

I have had a multi nodular goiter (too many nodules to count) for a few years and over the last few months have been experiencing hyper symptoms (anxiety etc etc). My labs have come back within the normal range but thankfully my consultant has given me the go ahead to get it removed pretty much based solely on the tightness in my throat. He is pretty sure that the thyroid isn't causing my anxiety (which could well be right I know) but I was just wondering if anyone else has been in the same situation and found that after removal of the thyroid they actually felt better within themselves? I'm not just sitting back and waiting for the op to sort the anxiety out - I'm doing everything I can to fix it myself, exercise, no caffeine, no alcohol etc which seems to be helping a lot but I still have a niggling thought that my thyroid my have more to play in the role than I am giving it credit for!! LOL

Thanks in advance guys

Rach xxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2005, 05:00 AM   #2
    kaciii
    (female)

kaciii HB User
    Re: 'normal' labs but felt better after thyroidectomy?

I felt sooooooooooo much better after I had a multil-nodular goiter removed. Even the day after surgery when most people are still out of it! Dr. didn't think I needed meds. But six months later, symptoms returning (still have another lobe) a new dr.
    put me on Synthroid, as my TSH was 9.58

Old 11-18-2005, 06:09 AM   #3
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

I always had perfect labs and yet had 2 large nodules and hashi's. I had my entire thyroid removed in August and I am like a new person. I took away so many symptoms that I was having that I hadn't even put with thyroid til that nasty thing was gone. I too had a major improvement the day of my surgery.

Good luck!
    Karen

Old 11-19-2005, 12:00 AM   #4
    tygwyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tygwyn HB User

Thats is really good to read. Thanks ever so much for taking the time to reply. I believe that the anxiety is something that I have to conquer on my own but just to hear you say that you felt better sounds great!

I hadn't really put my thyroid down to this problem either but I suppose it could well be. Over the last 6-12 months my periods have been pretty much all over the place. I used to have a cycle of around 33 days but lately I get spotting at around day 26 - then nothing - and then a bit more spotting a few days later and then it gets a bit heavier - never to the strength of a 'normal' (hate that word now!! lol) period though. The spotting seems to appear out of nowhere too - no major symptoms like I used to get!

Oh this is such a beautiful learning curve to be on isn't it! I didn't even realise I had a goiter until my mum hi-lighted to me after my wedding day four years ago that I should get it checked out (because it runs in the family shes only checking out peoples necks - I do too now!! LOL). So now when I look at my weddding photos all that I can see is a big fat neck with a nervous rash on - lovely!! LOL

I don't have a date for the op yet but it should hopefully be within the next couple of months - can't wait to be honest - it'll be great to have these hands removed from around my neck!! LOL

Thanks guys

Rach xxxx

Oh forgot to say - 'Kant' did you know you had Hashi before surgery or did you find out afterwards?

Old 11-19-2005, 06:17 AM   #5
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

Rach,
    I knew I had hashi's before surgery because I had a biopsy done the year prior.

Your periods are from the thyroid issues! Listen, I had terrible anxiety, periods that were every 18 days and lasted for 9 and were so heavy( sorry for the graphics) ..........foot pain, leg pain, eye tics, severe joint pain, muscle pain, lost 60 pounds, couldn't sleep, nervousness, nausea, feeling faint.....................and MUCH more that ALL went away the day I had that thyroid out. I think it will be the best move for you!

Please, keep us posted.
    Karen

Old 11-19-2005, 09:58 AM   #6
    tygwyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kant
    Rach,
    I knew I had hashi's before surgery because I had a biopsy done the year prior.

Your periods are from the thyroid issues! Listen, I had terrible anxiety, periods that were every 18 days and lasted for 9 and were so heavy( sorry for the graphics) ..........foot pain, leg pain, eye tics, severe joint pain, muscle pain, lost 60 pounds, couldn't sleep, nervousness, nausea, feeling faint.....................and MUCH more that ALL went away the day I had that thyroid out. I think it will be the best move for you!

Please, keep us posted.
    Karen

Hi Karen

Thanks again for replying. God I hope I get the same outcome as you have had. I just dont want to pin my hopes on it though for obvious reasons.

I'm really glad to hear that you are doing so well. 5 years with all of those symptoms must have been hell. I find it hard to believe that I can function on a daily basis on the amount of sleep I've been having for 3 months, so just can't imagine what it was like for you for 5 years!

Thanks again

Rach xxxx

Old 11-20-2005, 06:00 AM   #7
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

Rach,
    I pray it will be your answer as well. The key will be getting the right replacement meds after surgery. My surgeon was very proactive in NOT letting hypo set in and I know it helped me 100%. I haven't felt so good in years. I am back to the person I thought I had lost. It feels wonderful and certainly worth that surgery. It is a pretty simple surgery to recover from as far as surgery goes, but it does take time. Once I started letting my surgeon dictate the meds things really picked up. He would up me every two weeks and had me from 75mcgs to 175 mcgs in 4 weeks with the cytomel and I was well on my way by then. I was back to mowing the lawn and doing things like that about the 4th week after surgery.

Keep me posted!

Karen

Closed Thread