HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   New Lab Report - High Reverse T3 - ???? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/342550-new-lab-report-high-reverse-t3.html)

TiggerFanatic 11-18-2005 05:28 PM

New Lab Report - High Reverse T3 - ????

Dx'd w/Hashi's in June of 04. Been on different levels of levoxyl. Currently taking .0875 (or is it 87.5) daily. Last 6 months dealing w/a myriad of symptoms trying to get my hormones (total Hysterectomy 3 years ago) and thyroid levels straightened. Am waiting results of saliva test (estrogens, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA and cortisol). Also had thryoid testing done and got the results today w/doctor notations. Would appreciate help with understanding the report.

FT3 300 (230-420)
Ft4 1.3 (0.8-1.8)
TSH 0.66 (0.40-5.50)
T3 Reverse 0.62 (0.18-0.51) flagged as high

Doctor's Notes:

High RT3 will start T3 extended 10mg/1 daily
Levoxyl down to .075 daily

Need to be seen in 2 months.

Take Multivitamin if not already doing so.

So what does this mean as to my thyroid function? And what will the T3 extended do?

I also had my cholesterol checked w/the following numbers:

Total 247
HDL 42
LDL 157
Trigs 222
Ratio 5.9

I know Hypothyroidism affects the cholesterol, but not sure how.

And finally before going in for Saliva testing my Estrogen had gone from 265 1 year ago to 40.

Thanks.

merrillin 11-19-2005 06:20 AM

Re: New Lab Report - High Reverse T3 - ????

This is just my advice.............don't let the dr lower your t4 meds just because your tsh is low. It is SUPPOSED to be supressed on t4! Your free t4 shows it does not need to be lowered and in fact you could actually stand an increase. Dr's just don't get that part at all! Once I started being dosed by the free's I had no hypo symptoms and I have had my total thyroid removed.

Best of luck,
Karen

midwest1 11-19-2005 07:59 AM

Re: New Lab Report - High Reverse T3 - ????

I don't know a lot about reverse T3 and its treatment, so take this for what it's worth.

Reverse T3 is a form of T3 that can't be used by the cells. I think what he's trying to do is boost your FT3 in order to make more available at cell level. When he added the T3 med, he slightly lowered your T4 dose to take into account the 4X potency of T3 to T4.

I don't trust doctors easily, but I would trust that yours knows what he's doing. For one thing, he tested RT3 in the first place. Most MDs have never even heard of it, I'd wager. Second, he bothered testing your other hormones; all hormones interact with each other, so trying to achieve a proper balance is a great thing. (I don't, however, know the least little bit about what your other hormone tests mean. Sorry.)

HypoT causes elevated LDL and triglycerides, because it interferes with the clearance of LDL from the liver and gut and with glucose metabolism. It's the second leading cause of high cholesterol after poor diet. If the elevated levels are due to the hypoT, it will be lowered after optimum treatment of the thyroid is achieved. If they are due to poor diet or lack of exercise, treatment won't help a lot. An untreated hypothyroid person can raise the level of HDL - the "good" cholesterol - by moderate exercise, however.