It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Low Body Temp...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2005, 11:34 AM   #1
    jc5
    (female)

jc5 HB User
    Low Body Temp...

I have had health problems for the past few years. I've been diagnosed with Gastroparesis, Raynauds, chronic yeast infections, fatigue, depression, anxiety. Because of my Raynauds, my hands and feet are always cold and so i never really gave any thought to my body being cold as well. I've been getting so cold lately that I decided to take my temp and it was 95.8. i took it again three times that day and it only went up to 96.8. yesterday I kept taking it all day again and it was the same thing. I called the doctor today and went in. This morning it was 95.5 but when I got to the doctor's it was 97.0. They will be doing thyroid tests, but I'm assuming they'll come out fine since they did last time they tested me. They tested me back in March because I was gaining weight very easily and I hardly was eating anything because of my gastroparesis. I was also very tired and the fatigue has just gotten worse. The doctor said that if these thyroid tests come back fine then he will send me to an endocrinologist for further testing. Could I still have a thyroid problem even if the blood tests come back OK? What other testing Do endocrinologists do? Has anyone had the bloodwork come back OK but still had problems with their thyroid? I've always thought I had problesm with my thyroid, particularly because of all my health issues but I got tired of going to the doctors to tell me nothing was wrong. I guess now they will look into it because of the temps., but not sure what will come of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2005, 11:43 AM   #2
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: Low Body Temp...

Hello, Yes, there is a very good possibility you could have a thyroid problem. Low body temperatures like yours, or indeed too low for all your body processes to run smoothly.

You can post your test results along with their ranges here, so someone can help you interpret them.

Old 12-10-2005, 03:32 PM   #3
    dreamer89
    Inactive
    (female)

dreamer89 HB User

I know that many doctors and medical community doesn't recognize this condition but there are too many people suffering from chronic low body temps that it is worthy of mention here, I too suffer from time to time, (used to be all the time) of low body temps, anyway it is called wilson syndrome, you produce enough t4 and some t3, but the problem is at the cellular level, the cells convert the hormone to t3 to stoke the furnance, but if your under any kind of stress, poor eating or non eating habits, high stress at work, overexercise, any kind of stress that the body interprets as a survival threat it will turn the burners down, if you have been under stress such as exercising alot, trying to watch what you eat to control weight etc, and your body is sensitive to survival threats, then you could triggor this condition.

the way it turns the burners down is by not converting as much of the t4 to t3 to slow metabolism, as one of the first things to happen when someone is overstressed is appetite shuts off, and of course less caloires coming in especialy over several days or weeks and the body interprets that as a famine and famines are a sure fire way to cause the body to turn the furnance down.

many enzymes and the immune system work less effeiciently at 97 or 96 that is why you feel so lousy, you feel like you are getting the flu, or cold, or you feel like your hung over from something, like drugs or alcohol but you haven't touched any. I see an endrochronolgists once a year for another unrelated conditon, anyway my tsh and t4 is always fine but I feel like crap alot, especially past years, now it is only periodic that I feel that way when I over exercise or eat to much junk or just plain don't eat enough, or too much caffiene, of course all the bp meds and other meds I am on surly add stress to my body.

but i seem to do better if I take my supplements regularly even when feeling good, and reduce exercise intensity somewhat, I found when I exercised moderate to high intensity more than 30 minutes at a time for several days in a row I would get symptoms of hypothyroid, but my hormones levels always come out normal according to the doctor.

but if I slow down and do low intensity every subsequent days I avoid this, but usually I am feeling so good I don't and then suffer for it.

another thing, I have heard so many of my friends tell me their temps at the doctors is always 97 or lower and their doctors tell them that is normal, (their hormones are considered normal) it may be normal but not heathy our bodies run most effeciently at 98 and up degrees.

mine used to be like that, for years and years but then I started to eat more food on a daily basis and I noticed over the past 3 years that my temps are now in the 98 range consistently when at doctors, but I take my temps when I feel lousy and sure enough my temps are 97 or less. you see if your body interprets your food enviroment as a famine situation simply because you ignore food cues or don't eat to satiaty or even if your quality is lousy, then it will use this method of conservation to protect you from starvation.

but of course any stress that causes you to lose your appetite and eat less can triggor this in sensitive people, even if you are not trying to control weight or watch what you eat.

many times doctors will dismiss a person's symptoms when blood tests are considered normal, of course what is normal has changed over the years because they test people with wilson syndrome and those without and they get averages and naturally those with mild symptoms of this condition will cause the numbers to be of a more wide range obscuring a treatable conditon that can be treated before it leads to actual hypothyroidism where the thyroid is gone.

RR why doctors won't even consider the possibiltiy of this and test it out is beyond me.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
    bestofhealth
    (female)

bestofhealth HB User

Hello Everyone,
    I'm new to this website and am so glad to have found all of you!
    If I've learned anything, it's that the body is VERY complicated.
    I have been on Synthroid for 6 years and found myself just getting worse, with fatigue, coldness, brain fog, constipation, you all know the symptoms. I fired my MD and switched to an ND. He looked at my temp log and started me on a regimen of T3 for Wilson's Syndrome. (You know, if they called it anything else, people wouldn't get so upset.) But using T3 to reset the body's thermostat, so to speak, makes a lot of sense.
    It stands to reason that low body temps will cause the symptoms of hypothyroidism, because, when the cells and organs can't function due to the inability of enzymes to function properly at low temperatures, so many things can go wrong. All body systems have trouble: the brain, the digestive system, joints, skin and hair, immune system, cardio-pulmonary, etc.
    The hard part for many mainstream docs to believe is that so many symptoms can be caused by a single problem. They tend to treat symptoms, such as constipation or joint pain, instead of looking deeper for the cause of the symptoms.

I look forward to communicating with you all.
    Judy

Last edited by moderator2; 05-29-2007 at 01:16 PM.

Closed Thread