It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• fast heartbeat yet high TSH? Doctor might put me on heart monitor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
    kteacher
    (female)

kteacher HB User
    fast heartbeat yet high TSH? Doctor might put me on heart monitor

I am frustrated because I have a tsh which has fluctuated from a 15 in July to a 5 in October and now a 22 in December.

I have a very hight heart rate while in the doctor's office yet 100--115, yet it is always somewhere around 84 at home. I get very nervous in the doctor's office yet my endo will not give me synthroid even though my bloodwork indicates I need it and he thinks I have hashimotos. He says my heart sounds fine with the stethoscope except for being fast and that yes 84 at home is normal but he is now saying he is going to put me on a 24 hour holter monitor to "prove " my hear is ok.
    Has anyone else experienced this and does synthroid REALLY speed you hear rate up alot?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2006, 10:46 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: fast heartbeat yet high TSH? Doctor might put me on heart monitor

I'm not sure what's happening with you, but I suspect you have anxiety which is related to your hypoT... or maybe it's related to your doctor's inept treatment of your condition... or most likely, some of both.

I used to have "white coat hypertension", the kind of spikey-high blood pressure which happened only at the doctor's office. My stupid former PCP, who refused to screen for hypoT when I asked him to, wanted to put me on BP medication for it, but I refused. Once my thyroid levels got better, those spikes have disappeared.

There's no guarantee Synthroid will speed up your heart rate. However, if you are relatively young and your heart is indeed perfectly healthy, you should be able to tolerate a temporary increase. It will level out as you get adjusted to the med. The dose should be cautiously small to begin, and increased slowly over 6 week periods until your thyroid hormones rise to mid-level range. Your treatment should NOT be based on your falling TSH level, and I suspect that's what that guy will do if he ever gets around to treating you at all.

If you can, start doctor shopping now. You're going to need a better one if you ever want to be well again.

Last edited by midwest1; 01-07-2006 at 10:50 PM.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:50 AM   #3
    tygwyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tygwyn HB User

Hi

This certainly sounds like anxiety to me - it's something that I and many others on here have suffered with at some stage or another. Its not nice but the secret is just to relax through it. Try not to think about the fast heartbeat - take a deep breath and smile through it (this takes practice though!! LOL).

Good luck with your treatment.

Rach xxxx

Old 01-08-2006, 07:11 AM   #4
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

I not only get a fast heartrate at the dr due to anxiety but I also get the "white coat hypertensioin"........I can take my bp before I leave for a dr's visit and it might be 104/75, but6 when I get to the dr it will be 140/85..........get back home and it is low again./

I agree with Mid............you need a new dr NOW. One that does not recognize that a tsh like that does not need to be treated NOW is doing you and your body harm! YOu can also develop fast heartbeats when you are hypo or if you have hashi;s.

I wouldn't waste anymore time with this dr, move on to soneone intelligent.

Keep us posted.,
    Karen

Old 01-08-2006, 08:08 AM   #5
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User

i think a new doctor would be your best bet.

if you do have hashi's, you need to be on thyroid medication. in any event, your tsh is above normal levels, suggesting you are at least hypothyroid.

you need to be tested for anti-thyroid antibodies to find out if you have hashi's or not.

someone should also test your ft3 and ft4 levels.

these doctors! i swear they just dont listen, and/or dont have a clue. find someone who will listen to you and keep in touch here on the boards.

i have hashi's and i've had periods of high heart rate and tachycardia episodes. i'm on a very lose dose of synthroid.

good luck

Last edited by scoot; 01-08-2006 at 08:11 AM.

Old 01-08-2006, 10:38 AM   #6
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

lm like that too

Old 01-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #7
    nikmou
    (female)

nikmou HB User

hi
    My name is Nicole and I have been dealing with a high heart rate for amonth and a half. I have been hospitalized for a week after many trips to the er and dr's telling me i was stressed, well!!!! your heart pounding out of your chest can cause some anxiety. Well I had every test for your heart and it is fine. I went a seen a cadiologist and he said this" every body has a natural pace maker in there body and sometimes due to meds, diet, lack of exercise, stress and anxiety is will start to beat quickly and you tend to feel it more. he said it was nothing to worry about and it would NOT damage my heart. He told me to live life and that it will probably settle down, especially when my thyroid settles down. He also said to limit things like caffiene, vanilla, and licorice they are all adrenaline inhancers. I told him I have not been physically active for over a month and he said to start walking and then in three weeks get back to teaching aerobics. He also said that is the heart rate comes back to try to stay calm..hmmm ...and that it will not kill me. He said if is doesn't settle down that he could prescribe betablockers, but I am not keen on them because I heard they cause drowsiness...and i don't need any help in that department lol. He was very nice and listened to my concerns and he was my third try on getting answers. Everytime I went to the er they tried giving me adivan which i hated. So that is the answer I got. Oh yes i cut down on salt to!! My heart rate had gone as high as 130 resting, today it was 76 resting yey!!! It has caused me great stressed and now that is what I am working on. I am trying to do it drug free, except for the synthroid of course. I also started taking a B-50. I read alot on it fist and talked to a natural health nutrionist and what I found out is that Bvitamins help the body deal with stress and aniexty, i jsut started three-fours days ago so I am not sure if it will help but I really don't want to taking aniexty meds. I bought the book The Thyroid Diet and it gives alot of good ideas for eating properly with hypo. I gives alot of good natural/vitamin tips on how to support your thyroid. Anyhow hope this helps some
    Tkae care stay strong
    Nicole
    PS i read that eating foods high in magnesium help with heart palps.

Last edited by nikmou; 01-08-2006 at 01:17 PM.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:01 AM   #8
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

hi glad all is well!!! try this when your heart is going like a runaway train practise slow breathing exercises l found this helped me although when tis going crazy its hard to get into it but it does help persist! Good luck xx (ps l was busy browsing the other day a drugs website and a new device was mentioned cant rmember the name but it was to get the blood pressure down l couldnt believe the price and all it did was make you breathe more slowly (like a relaxed way ) and they wanted nearly 200 quid for it!!! gawd!! and to think l was practising that long before l seen in online haha ) anyway good luck

Closed Thread