It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Can doctors charge you for copy of your tests?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User
    Can doctors charge you for copy of your tests?

I called my doctor to get a copy of my thyroid tests and was told it would cost me $25. How common is this and is it legal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User
    Re: Can doctors charge you for copy of your tests?

thats expensive.

i've been to several doctors. once i had to pay $5 to get a copy of my full chart. i think it was 25 cents per page. fortunately i had a small chart. its legal. its each individual doctors/facility policy if they want.

another time i wanted a copy of my EKG from a hospital so i could show my cardiologist. they said they would fax it to my cardio at no charge, since its really a doctors office making the request for info. if i wanted it for my own personal stuff, there was a charge. i think it was 5 or 10 bucks.

i work for a doctor and we do not have a policy to charge people for copies of their records. we eat the cost if someone wants copies.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Here's the URL to a California state site that explains the regulations there. I don't know, but feel sure that the laws are similar all over. Google to find the regulations for your state.
    http://www.cmanet.org/publicdoc.cfm/21/4/GENER/128

MDs are allowed to charge a "nominal" fee for copying and clerical costs. Copying one lab sheet doesn't cost even remotely $25... unless he pays his help $500 an hour! Challenge him on this... he's being outrageous.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
    Stacia
    (female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User

I have NEVER been charged for a copy of my labs. My doc automatically makes an extra copy to give to me. Also, i picked up copies of my husbands medical records at the clinic and they charged nothing. I can see that they may have a copy fee of like $0.25 a page or something but nothing more than that.

That $25 is RUDE!!!

Stacia

Old 01-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
    Changedusername
    Inactive
    (male)

Changedusername HB User

Try circumventing the greedy idiot and go straight to the lab......labs are usually reluctant to give labs out and legally I don't think they are supposed to but with a little creativity, you can get a copy. I've gotten my labs direct form a large lab several times when the doc was giving me grief.

25 bucks is way too much. That's BS unless you have an encylopedia's worth.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:06 AM   #6
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

He does his own labs in the office because they called me the very next day with the results. He does not take insurance and would not use a lab my insurance covered because he wanted to do his own. I have just seen him twice. I had basic thyroid tests the first visit and just a cortisol test the next, so it couldn't be over 2 pages.

His release states $25.00 initial fee for the first 20 pgs. + so much a pg. thereafter.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #7
    scoot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scoot HB User

wow. he sounds like a jerk. i hope he was helpful to you at least, and that you got your money's worth.

is there any way you can get your primary care doc to request copies directly from this doc? maybe they wouldnt charge another doctors office for the records, then you could get them for at least less $$ from your primary care?

Old 01-11-2006, 11:07 AM   #8
    MCKMN
    (female)

MCKMN HB User

That is HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!! MY god is that alot of money! I too have too pay for test results, which was like 2.00...... I cannot belive that. Sheeeeeesh! I feel so badly for you, how awful of them, you pay them anough money when you see them, then too charge that absurd amount of money. I think that is just shotty! I'd be livid....I think I have PMS sprry for the rant

Old 01-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #9
    cleeg
    (female)

cleeg HB User

Hi,

Well, I'm not sure where you live, but I work for a doctor in Canada and they can charge you to get your file transferred to another doctor if you have decided to switch doctors or move out of town etc. If you are only looking for your last lab results you are legally entitled to receive them and shouldn't be charged at all and if you walk into your clinic and ask for a copy they should have to give it to you, but like I said I'm not sure where you are from but that's how it usually works here.

Hope this helps!

Closed Thread