It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• sons thyroid test

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
    Linma2428
    Veteran
    (female)

Linma2428 HB User
    sons thyroid test

My son had a TSH blood test done by his doctor. The test showed his TSH was 4.04. the range is .46 to 4.68

Is his number too high even though he falls within range? Just seems to me he is getting close to the high end of the test.

Thanks Linda

Last edited by Linma2428; 01-10-2006 at 09:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: sons thyroid test

It probably is too high. If he has symptoms of low thyroid function, it's definitely too high. The AACE says a sustained TSH above 2.5 merits a trial of thyroid hormone. If he's your minor child, make sure his doctor knows that. I can provide the URL to the AACE statement should you need to inform his doctor of the newest guideline.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
    Linma2428
    Veteran
    (female)

Linma2428 HB User

Thanks a lot for the information. He is 21 and I am not sure if he has symptoms or not. He is very slim and I thought it would mean he would be heavy to be hypo thyroid. If nothing else I think he should keep an eye on it and if he starts to feel worst bring it up to the doctor. He did have kind of high blood pressure. I thought that wasn't part of hypothyroid either. He is a weight lifter though and maybe some how that is envolved or why he doesn't gain weight. Or why he would have a higher TSH. Just seems like the doctor would have said something about it being high. Please give me the newest information I would like to see the new guidelines.

Linda

Old 01-11-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
    adamace1
    Veteran
    (male)

adamace1 HB User

I'm sure most people don't agree with me on this but it depends on the person. I'm 26 i used to be very hypo>160. And so far i feel best at the high range of the scale. 5.0 or more for me. Every time under that i get bad blurry vision headacke's that don't go away, hard time going to sleep. So unless he has alot of syptoms i wouldn't worry.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
    Linma2428
    Veteran
    (female)

Linma2428 HB User

Well thats true everyone is different. It might be he is just this way. I ask him if he feels tired or anything like that and he says he doesn't. I wouldn't want him to take a medication he doesn't need. Guess its best until he has symptoms to just be aware. Thanks Linda

Old 01-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I agree with you Adam. Thyroid levels always "depend on the person." That's why thyroid disease is one of the most undiscovered illness in all of medicine... No one can agree about what's so-called "normal". However, a huge majority of the healthy population, without any thyroid disease at all, has TSH of around 1. It's easy to see how most people - granted, not everyone, but most - with TSH above 3 or 4 would have at least some symptoms of low thyroid function.

Linda, it's a myth that hypoT without fail causes obesity. I didn't gain any weight from my condition, but I did find it impossible to lose any weight. I had high LDL cholesterol (from the hypo, as it turned out), and even after I embarked on a vigorous exercise program for 3 months to lower it, the level didn't budge. In fact, it went up a few points. Plus, I lost only a measly 3 pounds for my effort.

The fact is that not every hypo person has each and every hypo symptom, which number in the dozens. The most common ones are fatigue, hair loss, dry skin, muscle aches and cramps, slow thinking, low body temperature, constipation, weight gain, and depression. Also common are high LDL cholesterol, absence of the outer third of the eyebrows, heart palpitations, lightheadedness, slow heart rate, high or low blood pressure, shortness of breath... the list goes on and on. Thyroid affects each and every body system, so malfunctions of any of them are possible due to lack of enough thyroid hormone.

Urge him to get tested further... Not just TSH, but he should also have his actual thyroid hormones measured. The active thyroid hormones are free T4 and free T3. TSH is a pituitary hormone that, despite what most doctors say, is NOT the most indicative measure of a thyroid problem. TSH can still be within range, with an accompanying shortage of thyroid hormone causing the attendant symptoms. If the free Ts are below the mid-point of their ranges, he ought to be offered a trial of supplemental thyroid hormone. If he isn't, but wants to try it, he should look for a more knowledgeable and sympathetic doctor. It would be safe to say that most MDs are below average at treating thyroid.

Here are the URLs I promised ~
    http://www.aace.com/newsroom/press/2003/index.php?r=20030118
    http://www.aace.com/public/awareness/tam/2003/explanation.php

Let us know how things go, or if you need help deciphering his lab results.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
    Linma2428
    Veteran
    (female)

Linma2428 HB User

Now you have me really thinking about Thyroid problems. I have many of the thyroid symptoms you write about. Weight gain, blurred vision, heart palps I get those especially if I eat any sugar. Dry skin weird hair. My cholesterol is high but but not extremely I have low blood pressure usually around 85/60 but will go up a little higher. But my TSH is usually 1 to 1.5. I have wondered if I should try a saliva test that maybe it would be better than the blood test. I might just be my age a getting close to menopause I guess. I just can't loose weight either. Is there a good website that tells all about Thyroid symptoms. I have done the under arm test a lot of times and it always shows low temp. I told my doctor he did blood work and went by that. Said I am normal. Thanks Linda

Old 01-11-2006, 07:51 PM   #8
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Wow... You've got the major signs, and they may not all be due to your impending menopause.

Saliva testing isn't reliable for thyroid. Stick to blood tests, not just TSH, but the ones I mentioned above. In addition to the free Ts, since you have a "normal" TSH, you want to have tests for the thyroid antibodies - TPO and Tg. Autoimmunity is the leading cause of hypoT, and the presence of ABs all but guarantees that your thyroid will eventually fail. Be aware that MDs have their own pet thyroid tests, but often they aren't the best ones... just the cheapest ones. Do your best to get the ones I named.

Now, you very well may have an MD who thinks TSH is the be-all end-all of tests. Sweet talk him, scream at him, fire him... do what you have to... but get the right tests somehow. You have all the signs. And if you are hypothyroid, chances are your nearest and dearest blood relatives - like your son - may be as well, because thyroid problems are very familial.

Menopause is a prime time for thyroid disease to rear its head. Most women attribute all their symptoms to menopause, but often the thyroid is acting up at the same time. All too often, it goes undiagnosed because MDs don't know what they're looking for and are quick to blame menopause or pre-menoP themselves.

Here is one of the better sources for information ~
    http://www.hormone.org/learn/thyroid_2a.html
    There are others that I can't name according to board rules. One of my favorite recommended sites has become membership-funded and doesn't provide the amount of free information it used to. So it's hard for me to lead you to really good online information.

An excellent source of info for beginners is Thyroid for Dummies, by Dr. Alan Rubin. It was the first book I read when I suspected my thyroid wasn't working. The second book I read was Solved: The Riddle of Illness by Dr. Stephen Langer, which is an excellent source book for those having problems getting a diagnosis.

Please just give a yell if you need to know any more.
    Oh yes... and browse through our "Information Archive" sticky thread at the top of the thread title list.

Closed Thread