It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Anyone have a too-low TSH and hypo symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Anyone have a too-low TSH and hypo symptoms?

Hello everyone. I am currently being treated for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and am still not regulated. How many of you have a too low TSH but still have hypo symptoms? Doesn't the TSH get suppressed during treatment? Shouldn't the focus of treatment be on symptom resolution and good ranges for the Free T's?

Excluding my TSH results, my labs from October (and symptoms) are worse than they were last January but my TSH is below normal. They are as follows:
    Free T4 1.0 (0.8-1.8)
    Free T3 246 (230-420)
    Total T3 125 (60-181)
    Total T4 7.5 (4.5-12.5)

My doctor seems to focus more on the TSH. I have been trying to get my results from tests done almost three weeks ago and still have not heard back despite repeated calls.

How can I find a doctor who considers symptoms and other ranges and does not focus so much on TSH results? Is this a question I should ask when looking for a new doctor?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited by ticker; 01-30-2006 at 04:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
    browneyegurl
    (female)

browneyegurl HB User
    Re: Anyone have a too-low TSH and hypo symptoms?

Ticker, your labs look so much like mine. Yet, all that my endo focuses on is the TSH. I have so many hypo symptoms too. It's just totally frustrating. I am also thinking of looking for another doctor and intend to ask if the only test that rates serious attention is TSH. There's just so much more to the story. I feel like if my FT's were higher I'd feel much better. So, the doctor search continues. Good luck to you. Don't give up.

Old 01-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #3
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Thanks borwneyegurl. Don't you give up either! I hope we both can find someone to help. And soon.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
    lifelongbattle
    (female)

lifelongbattle HB User

I was born with congenital hypothyroidism due to a partial (1/4) thyroid that was non-functioning so I don't know how relevant my information is to your situation... but if you want to know some of what I do then please go see my response to the post titled "[URL=http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=362122]Slow Metabolism but OK Thyroid Test Results?". [/URL] There's a LOT of information there that could be a step toward an explanation.

Just so you know you're not alone... not too long ago my labs were reading hyper so my doc lowered my meds which strangely enough caused my labs to drop even more. She lowered them again and then my labs seemed to normalize but I haven't been back since. I'm about a month past due for more labs.

It's unacceptable to me that she would rely so heavily on lab results especially since they were contradictory without giving me more of an explanation than "the labs said so"! I'm in the process of finding a new doc... I'm hopeful about one. Fingers crossed!

Misty

Old 02-01-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
    mollyann
    (female)

mollyann HB User

Wait - is the "Free T4" the TSH? I am assuming because of the number and the range. My last TSH ( 6 wks ago...I was supposed to go have blood today and appt Friday but delayed a week because I'm so sick with the strep and pneumonia).....anyway, the last TSH was 1.46 and my doctor said I was now in the normal range - well, duh Doctor!! I'm not stupid. And no...I don't know the lab ranges yet.
    But...I am supposed to get down to .5 (my oncologist wants this) because I have pap cancer and also Hashi's. And yes, I'm still having some awful hypo symptoms and even some that I didn't have a month or so ago like my hair is falling out and my skin is so dry and flakey and my face is puffy now and I even have the very attractive "red ruddy cheeks". I understand the "new" range is .3-3 whereas it "used" to be .5-5. And yes...on the list to ask the doc. Anyway...I hate the hypo symptoms and am so darn sick of being sick. Aren't all of you guys?
    And yes...I believe all of you about treating the symptoms NOT the TSH. But I did ask my new female doctor last week and she actually said that the TSH is really all that needs to be monitored. Why do they say this and what do I counter with??

Old 02-01-2006, 11:31 AM   #6
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

Is that right you can have a low TSH with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis ???? I thought you had to be hyper to have low tsh? and if it was high then you were hypo? This thyroid mess gets more confusing lol x

Old 02-01-2006, 12:38 PM   #7
    lifelongbattle
    (female)

lifelongbattle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mollyann
    Wait - is the "Free T4" the TSH? .... And yes...I believe all of you about treating the symptoms NOT the TSH. But I did ask my new female doctor last week and she actually said that the TSH is really all that needs to be monitored. Why do they say this and what do I counter with??
    The Free T4 is NOT the TSH. TSH is Thyroid Stimulating Hormone which is the Pituitary glands answer to the amount of thyroid hormone it finds in the blood... i.e. if there is too much the TSH will be low which means "slow down" and if there isn't enough the TSH will be high which means "speed up production". The Free T4 (like the Free T3) is the level of the hormone that is available for use by the body because some of the hormone (included in a regular T4/T3 test) will be bound and unreachable for the cells.

As for countering a blatant LIE?!? Tell them that you've heard from other sources* that there is merit in other lab tests and that you would appreciate it if they would request them (noting that they find them necessary - some doctors will be offended and might note to the lab and insurance that it was "patient requested" resulting in denial of payment by your insurance company). At the same time you should ask them what purpose they feel those particular tests serve and if they say that they are not helpful at all then you should ask them why they are even available. If the doctor says to you that "some people believe" that they are helpful then you should ask them who those people are... if you still disagree with the doctor then you should ask them to please point your towards "those people" because you feel they might be able to handle your care better than they have!

*regarding "other sources" - you don't have to reveal your "other sources", especially if the doctor seems defensive, but if you do want to tell them where you found it be sure to have specific sources and if possible copies of the information you read/heard that way they can't dismiss it as quackery; ex. "Where did you hear that?" "Oh, I read it on the internet." (even though it might have been excerpted from a highly reputable medical journal) "Well, you can't believe most of what you read on the internet!" See what I mean?!

Misty

Old 02-01-2006, 12:53 PM   #8
    Bonnie Lawson
    (female)

Bonnie Lawson HB User

TSH is The Thyroid Stemulating Hormone. Your T4 and T3 levels can still be in normal range and you can still have a low TSH level as mine are. The level of TSH should be in the range of 2.5 to 5.5. Mine was .003 (very Low) but my T4 and T3 levels were normal. What wasn't normal was my Thyroid antibodies count which was 249 and the normal range for that is 0 - 34.
    I'll bet if you were to get a thyroid antibodies count it will also be high.
    This means that the thyroid gland is trying to produce the thyroid hormones but the antibodies are killing the hormones. My diagnoses is Hashimotos diease.
    hope this helps
    Bonnie

Closed Thread