It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• New Full set of labs just in - High TSI, normal Ft4, Ft3....any ideas???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
    MyBowTie
    (male)

MyBowTie HB User
    New Full set of labs just in - High TSI, normal Ft4, Ft3....any ideas???

The big questions.....

1. is it Graves' or is it Hashi's?

2. Do I take Synthroid for Hashi's or aggravate the condition further by taking meds?

3. How does my TG antibodies go from over 1200 for the last 3 years straight, tested numberous times to only 84? Did I miraculously get somewhat fixed?

Here's my numbers and ranges. Feel free to try to figure this out cause Lord knows no one else can seem to:

Testosterone, Total 341 range 241-827 - up from 214 the last 3 times I was tested.

TSI Antibody = 130, reference range less than 125. I am still positive for Graves' but my number came down from 170 last year which is good I guess. Zero would be much better.

TSH - 8.86, reference range .4 - 5.5. Last time I was 16 a month ago so its better but still high for thyroid.

TPO AB - Hashis antibodies - >1000, reference range less than 35. Off the charts with this one again....looks like Hashi's still?

TG Ab - 82, reference range less than 20. Still high but this number for me was over 1200 a year ago so it "miraculously" came down about 1000 points....I don't get it?????

T4 Free .9, reference range .8 - 1.8. This is very low normal.

T4 Total 6.8, reference range 4.5 - 12.5. This too is low normal.

T3 total 131, reference range 60 - 181 - nearly perfect score.

T3 Free 343, reference range 230 - 420 - perfect score again.

TBII - thyroid test - 9.9%, reference range less than 16% - this is another test for Graves' - I think. TSI says positive and this one says negative...I don't get it????

Iron, total 140 reference range 40 - 190 - good number...a little high...doc is somewhat concerned....

Iron Binding Capacity 395 - Reference range 250 - 400 - This is the one major test for iron overload. Mine is very high normal but I don't think it indicates Hemachromatosis...Doc tends to think thyroid is screwing up Iron numbers....

Iron % Saturation 35%, reference range 15% - 50% - this is good. From what I've read, over 40 and you have Hemachromatosis. Iron overload is considered 40% and above usually.

Ferritin 412, Reference Range 20 - 345 - this tested high for the 2nd. time but I dont think its a problem yet...I hope not. Docs seem to think its due to thyroid trouble.

I will say that I feel pretty good now after 3 years of misery. I've never taken Synthroid - ever. Tried it and was miserable each time...really hyper feeling. Male, 35 yrs. old. I am way overweight and puffy, indicative of hypo but I am rarely tired and very sensitive to heat and light, indicative of hyper. Body temp is almost always normal or 99+. I go through numerous swings each month from hypo to hyper. In fact, I go all day long at a pretty fast pace.

Any ideas would be appreciated, particularly the part about starting Levoxyl or not. I got the meds ready to go already and docs say I can try it or not basically.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2006, 07:47 AM   #2
    hyperkim
    Veteran
    (female)

hyperkim HB User
    Re: New Full set of labs just in - High TSI, normal Ft4, Ft3....any ideas???

I am going to respond only from what I have learned in my research not from personal experience. And I am not a dr. I do have a mild case of Graves.

To me it looks like you have both Hashi's and Graves. My understanding is you can have both, because you have both antibodies. How you feel will depend on which antibody is doninating at that time.

Currently it looks like you are having a Hashi's swing. Your TPO is the highest and your labs look hypo-ish also. Most people say they feel their best when the FT4 and FT3 are in the upper 1/2 to 1/3 of the range with a TSH of around 1.

On the TBII, I believe there are three TRab tests. The stimulating (TSI), binding, and blocking. The TBII is and average of all three of these tests. So if your TSI is high but one or both of the others is low, that would explain why this test is lower than the TSI results. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. But I think thats how it goes.

I can't really advise you on the Levoxyl. ( I don't deal with hypo, I am hyper.) My first instinct would be to give it a try and see how you feel. Maybe some of the hypoT veterans can jump in with more info.

Hope this helps some.
    Hyperkim

PS I am not familiar with what all the other tests mean....So no comment. Better safe than sorry!

Last edited by hyperkim; 02-11-2006 at 07:49 AM.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:08 AM   #3
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

I too am speaking from my personal experience..................

I had hashi's but only hyper symptoms so my endo/surgeon are highly suspicious I had graves/hashi's. Every other female in my family has graves.

It is not surprising that your antibodies dipped like that.............they can go up and down drastically in the course of a month. The problem is when you have both going on it is so hard to take any meds. I never could they sent me over the edge. I had my thyroid out to fix the problem since my labs were always perfect except for the antibodies and my extreme symptoms. Getting it out is what made me well again so I don't know about taking meds at this point. You could try them. With a tsh that high you certainly are hypo, but, with TSI antibodies it might not be possible for you to take medication.

The level of attack on your thyroid is so hard to understand because while it is being totally destroyed and you feel so awful if you cannot take meds there really isn't anything else but suffering, is there?

Scrolling back up I also noticed that your free t4 is very, very low. You most certainly are going through a hypo phase with the high tsh and low free t4. I would try the medication route...............slow..............an d see if they help. If not, it looks like you may be in that zone of people who just need the thing out like I did.

Do you have nodules by chance?

Karen

Old 02-11-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
    MyBowTie
    (male)

MyBowTie HB User

No nodules but my Free T4 has not budged in 3 years....Its always been that low since first getting diagnosed.....problem is its my Free T3 that fluctuates.....witht he same .9 Free T4 over the years, my Free T3 is usually over the range high....this last test it was normal but its been high more often than not.....not too far over the range but enough....my total T3 is almost always over the range as well. TSH has gone from 5 - 12 - 16 back to 8....Of the 20-something TSH tests I've had in 3 years, I probably average a TSH of around 11 but it bounces all over the place while Ft4 remains constant this whole time.

Im so afraid to try meds again. I really feel pretty good now and can feel the difference from when my TG Ab's were sky high and my TSI at 170. I feel much better now than I did then. I wonder if I am going into some kind of remission.

I will say with 100% certainty that my problems arise from stress. Those TG and TSI antibodies climb sky high as soon as I stress for a period of time.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
    hyperkim
    Veteran
    (female)

hyperkim HB User

Remission is a possibility with graves. Don't know on the hashi's. Maybe the same theory of the ab's dropping. but you definitely have high TPO.

Do you think there is a possibility of a T4 to T3 conversion? Like over conversion? You might do an internet search on "T4 to T3 conversion" or something like that.

Just a thought...
    Hyperkim

Old 02-11-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
    MyBowTie
    (male)

MyBowTie HB User

My biggest thing is should I or should I not take meds? I do not want to turn hyper again as that was one of the most miserable times in my life but on the other hand, if I can manage to swallow that stupid little pill for 8 weeks straight, I might just be perfectly fine if and when my Free T4 comes up. Im just so afraid of turning hyper again...it was a brutal time of my life and I almost prefer to not dig up old bones.

Closed Thread