It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Uric Acid/hypothyroidism?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
    adamace1
    Veteran
    (male)

adamace1 HB User
    Uric Acid/hypothyroidism?

Was wondering if anyone has had problems with uric acid, after being treated for hypothyroidism. I started medicine in Aug. of last year, i slowly started to get better, then i had a week or two of heaven, i felt so good, then slowly i started having pain in my knee's, then in hands, feet, all of my joints crack very easly, some of them are very painfull when it happens. I have been to the dr, he thinks that uric acid is to blame for the constant pain, I was tested for infections, lyme diease, gout, and my clacium, and eltrolites, and maybe a couple of others that i can't remember. Only thing that was not normal was uric acid wich was 8.3. They say anything over 7.0 can form cystals in your joints witch can cause gout, but i don't have syptoms of gout yet just constant pain. I'm 26 so this is very hard on me, if i don't get better i'm not going to be able to work. I am going into the dr. Tue to make sure we do something soon, also to have fluid drawn from my left knee, which is the joint causeing the most pain, to make sure it's uric acid causeing cystals. Then go from there. Just wondering if anyone has been through this, i know that it is realted to me having hypo, i lost 70lbs so far. Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
    also2tired
    (female)

also2tired HB User
    Re: Uric Acid/hypothyroidism?

I don't know whether I have uric acid or not, but I do have pain in my joints, knee pain in particular, and also in my elbows and fingers. Many of my joints crack frequently, too. I have read that osteoarthritis can be caused by hypothyroidism. I just don't know anything about uric acid, though.

Old 02-21-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
    Calore
    (female)

Calore HB User

This is interesting and a bit scarey.
    My joints are cracking more than ever and a bit stiff. Uric acid was ok. Would love more info if there is a link between osteoarthritis and hypothyroidism--or any other health problem connections one should be aware of.
    Thanks

Old 02-21-2006, 01:26 PM   #4
    ellie342
    Inactive
    (female)

ellie342 HB User

Here is a paper about increased gout in hypothyroidism"
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=11791637&query_hl=1&it ool=pubmed_DocSum

and here's an article about destructive arthropathy in the finger joints of patients with hypothyroidism:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=1345123&query_hl=6&ito ol=pubmed_docsum

I know that somewhere I read another article about a case report in which the arthropathy reversed when the hypothyroidism was treated (x-rays improved).

It does make me wonder. I and 2 of my 3 siblings have diagnosed autoimmune thyroid disease. My mom was briefly treated in the 60's for thyroid disease, then later told she didn't have it and didn't need to take it. Her thyroid tests have been largely "normal" since, but she has struggled with weight gain, had carpal tunnel surgery, and had to have both knees replaced for terrible osteoarthritis at age 68.

Because I nag her about getting tested, she did have some thyroid testing done a couple of years ago. At one point she did have some positive thyroid antibodies and a TSH around 3 I believe, but on repeat testing a few months later the antibodies were gone and her TSH was back down to 2.

One has to wonder if she really has had subclinical hypothyroidism all thius time and could the osteoarthritis be a manifestation of this???

Ellie

Old 02-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #5
    ellie342
    Inactive
    (female)

ellie342 HB User

Oh, and here's an article that lists hypothyroidism as one of the rare causes of osteoarthritis:
    [url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=7858607&query_hl=8&ito ol=pubmed_docsum[/url]

Ellie

Old 02-22-2006, 02:41 AM   #6
    adamace1
    Veteran
    (male)

adamace1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by also2tired
    I don't know whether I have uric acid or not, but I do have pain in my joints, knee pain in particular, and also in my elbows and fingers. Many of my joints crack frequently, too. I have read that osteoarthritis can be caused by hypothyroidism. I just don't know anything about uric acid, though.
    Hello everyone, thanks for the reply. I don't think there's any chance of me having osteoarthritis. never had pain when i was alot heaver last year, would be to weird after i lost 70lbs that i would instantly start having pain in a couple of joints. I did some studying on the net, thinking that their is some weird answer to my question, I'm having a MRI on TH. this week, Then i was was refered to a ortapedic surgen hopefully he or she will help. To the person who posted above me have you been checked out, i don't know your age but you sound like me, knee pain is driving me nutts. I will post back when i have some answers. also now i'm thinking the uric acid thing is wrong, you should have attacks of pain not 13weeks of pain. plus the blood test really doesn't mean much, some people could have higher levels than me and never have problems, Thanks again

Closed Thread