It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Smoking and Thyroid Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2006, 06:32 AM   #1
    bjbattista25
    (female)

bjbattista25 HB User
    Smoking and Thyroid Surgery

Hello again everyone...I had a quick question...my ent referred me to a surgeon that I am going to see on March 6th to remove my thyroid...at my visit he told me to quit smoking before the surgery...he wanted me to quit that very minute...at this very moment I am weaning myself off celexa, I don't drink, my home-life is upside down and stretched to the limit and now I am going to prepare for surgery...smoking is my only vice...I know the health benifits of me quiting but to go cold turkey at this point seems impossible...I was wondering if anyone out there was advised to quit smoking and if you did, and if so-how long before the surgery and last but not least...how you did it???? Any help and advice would be great!!!! Thanks...Bernie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2006, 06:39 AM   #2
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
    Re: Smoking and Thyroid Surgery

I stopped smoking the night before my surgery, and started again
    5 days after my surgery......shame on me.
    try not to smoke for as long as you can, smoking impairs the healing process.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:54 AM   #3
    marissamm
    (female)

marissamm HB User

i smoked 2 hours before my surgery, and then 24 hours after, i was not advised to quit.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:17 AM   #4
    kathy590
    (female)

kathy590 HB User

My Doc advised me to cut down. At preop, they told me to quit 24 hours before surgery, and I did. Just like Rose, I quit for 5 days, and started again, I have weaned myself to 5 cigarettes a day, 1/2 at a time, I use gum, candy anything to stay at that. I don't smoke in my house or car, and I cant smoke anywhere else because we are a smoke free city, which makes it easier. shame on me, but just like you, I have had nothing but stress for the last 2 years of my life, I have a love hate relationship with cigs, its so hard to quit, but this is the least I have smoked in years.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:28 AM   #5
    Jon7346
    (female)

Jon7346 HB User

They want you to quit b/c of health reasons. On top of that anethesia. Smoking can give you complications when they knock you out. So if you can quit even temporarily it'll make anethesia safer for You.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:49 AM   #6
    kathy590
    (female)

kathy590 HB User

I believe that to be true, as well as the healing process. When I woke up, I heard them say "smoker". I did not have trouble breathing, but found myself, working to breathe, almost like I forgot how. It lasted about 5 minutes and it was OK.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:05 AM   #7
    bjbattista25
    (female)

bjbattista25 HB User

Thanks guys...I do plan on quitting but now is not the time...I feel as though I would be setting myself up for yet more failure...and this was something I really didn't want to ponder on to add more indecisiveness to my life...thanks again...if only the doctors could have shown that much concern for my THYROID when this all begain as they do to me smoking...it seems like it's always their first solution...Bernie

Closed Thread