It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

allergies masked by thyroid condition?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
HarajukuGurl2005
(female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User
allergies masked by thyroid condition?

As a young child I had numerous ear and sinus infections. for the most part they have been controlled with allergy shots and the whole allergy pill spray regime, up until 2 yrs ago when i started my birth control pill to allievate my painful and heavy periods. it surely did the job but it seems as though my allergies have gone through the roof and ive been getting many sinus infections, did the surgery thing etc and still have trouble.

one thing that struck me was when my pcp remarked my pulse was very low. i thought about it more later on and started my researching...heavy periods, low pulse my temp is always 95-97.0, moderate acne, dry hair w/ dandraff...could this be hypothyroidism?? i thought this b/c my alergist always feels my thyroid gland (but u dont always have a lump right?) i saw an indivdual on here that said allergies were her main symptom (big time here) and now feels much better after proper diagnosis.

can anyone else relate? ive decided to go off of my pill which im hoping will alleviate my stuffiness, but could a thyroid prob be the cause of all of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
elmhar
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Re: allergies masked by thyroid condition?

Hi Harajuku,

IMO, (which most docs will think is phooey) there is some sort of relationship between allergies & some types of hypothyroid. The thyroid gland is replete with mast cells, which as you know, dump histamine during allergic reactions, just like every other mast cell dumps histamine. Some research suggests that when histamine is dumped, iodine goes too. Does it get reabsorbed? I don't know. Anyway, histamine is what gives you the inflammation, the congestion ... that can't be too great for thyroid function.

There's a chicken/egg: which came first quandry here too. Which came first, thyroid dysfunction or the allergies? Which one drags the other down more, or is it just a repetitive negative spiral? Don't know. Anything is possible. Haven't found too much research.

Bmd on this board read something about antihistamines also not being good for thyroid. Haven't seen that research myself, but many meds do interfere with thyroid function, so it's possible.

I do think that people who are hypothyroid suffer to a greater degree from their allergies than people who have good thyroid function, but that's just my personal experience in both conditions.

Estrogen excess can make allergies worse, also. Not sure if that's cause E2 interferes w/thyroid function, or if it's through some other mechanism.

Why not ask your doc for some lab tests -- Free T3, Free T4, and TSH. You certainly have enough symptoms to make it a reasonable request. Alternatively, there are labs that allow you to self-order these tests without going through your doc.

Best wishes.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:35 PM   #3
HarajukuGurl2005
(female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmhar
Hi Harajuku,

IMO, (which most docs will think is phooey) there is some sort of relationship between allergies & some types of hypothyroid. The thyroid gland is replete with mast cells, which as you know, dump histamine during allergic reactions, just like every other mast cell dumps histamine. Some research suggests that when histamine is dumped, iodine goes too. Does it get reabsorbed? I don't know. Anyway, histamine is what gives you the inflammation, the congestion ... that can't be too great for thyroid function.

There's a chicken/egg: which came first quandry here too. Which came first, thyroid dysfunction or the allergies? Which one drags the other down more, or is it just a repetitive negative spiral? Don't know. Anything is possible. Haven't found too much research.

Bmd on this board read something about antihistamines also not being good for thyroid. Haven't seen that research myself, but many meds do interfere with thyroid function, so it's possible.

I do think that people who are hypothyroid suffer to a greater degree from their allergies than people who have good thyroid function, but that's just my personal experience in both conditions.

Estrogen excess can make allergies worse, also. Not sure if that's cause E2 interferes w/thyroid function, or if it's through some other mechanism.

Why not ask your doc for some lab tests -- Free T3, Free T4, and TSH. You certainly have enough symptoms to make it a reasonable request. Alternatively, there are labs that allow you to self-order these tests without going through your doc.

Best wishes.
wow so informative! i learn so much on these boards. tomorrow im seeing a naturepath for the first time do they have knowledge of thyroid disorders? i had to fill out a pretty lengthy questionairre; a lot of questions were thyroid related too!

also if i were to get a thyroid test....should i be off my bcp for some time for the test to be accurate? (maybe its my pill doing it to me all along and wont need a test haha) also what about pituitary and adrenal testing...do they come with the package?
thanks for the guidance

Last edited by HarajukuGurl2005; 02-23-2006 at 06:41 PM.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
elmhar
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Harajuku,

Naturopaths vary in their levels of expertise just as regular m.d. docs do. BUT, IME, N.D.s are generally less bound by current medical tradition, more open to consideration of a variety of treatment philosophies, and generally, tend to be less authoritative with patients. Often you can try more treatment modalities w/an N.D. than with a regular doc. Some people like that, some people don't.

I like to get local refs from other patients ... one time I didn't & got stung with one N.D. who said, without even looking at my DD, "well, she's got such & such & there's no cure,just management, I'll have to do these (expensive) treatments every month for the rest of her life ..." that was a big turn-off.

The extensive questionnaire is a good sign. I'm working with a naturopath right now, & he spent more time on history than any other doc I've ever seen. Very thorough. I was impressed. Better yet, I am making progress towards regaining my health & energy by following his recommendations.

If you are taking the BCP for hormonal regulation, I think you should ask this doc his opinion about being off before testing, and if that's wise, how long you should be off.

Often where the hormonal situation is complex (and when is it not?), naturopaths will advise doing an extensive panel of tests. Could be blood, saliva, urine, or a combo. Sometimes doing the larger panels, you get a sort of price break per test, cheaper than doing them one at a time. Though it still adds up, and not all insurances will cover.

Let us know what happens!

Closed Thread