It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Calcium deficency - what is better than Tums if I need 3,000mg/day?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
    tigermom710
    (female)

tigermom710 HB User
    Question Calcium deficency - what is better than Tums if I need 3,000mg/day?

I have the Calcium issue since my TT (2/16/06). I have read that Tums is not such a good source since it keeps down the stomach acid required to being able to digest and absorb the calcium. The docs told me to take 6 tums/day (3,000mg) plus Calcitrol (Vitamin D derivative).

Does anyone have a better source of calcium than Tums? I already eat all the calcium rich foods I can get my hands on. But I still have symptoms of low calcium. My hands upt to my elbows still feel strange.

Also, what happens when the calcium gets too high? How do I know without constent blood tests?

Did anyone have big calcium issues too?

Thank you all.......I'm very thankfull to anyone's comments!!!!

Marina

Last edited by tigermom710; 02-26-2006 at 01:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #2
    kathy590
    (female)

kathy590 HB User
    Re: Calcium deficency - what is better than Tums if I need 3,000mg/day?

Well , I'm on the calcitrol and 2000 mg of calcium. I was on an effervescent calcium, (like Eno) which was 1000 mg each one twice a day with the calcitrol. It is supposed to be a very good source of calcium, but its expensive. Also, I did'nt really like it after a while.

Old 02-26-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
    tigermom710
    (female)

tigermom710 HB User

Thank you Kathy for your input. Did you stop taking it?
    Marina

Old 02-26-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
    kathy590
    (female)

kathy590 HB User

I stopped the effervescent because I really did'nt like drinking it and it was expensive. Doc said I could just take regular calcium with the calcitrol and that would be fine. And you welcome!!

Old 02-26-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
    tigermom710
    (female)

tigermom710 HB User

This page has some information that is helpfull on calcium supplement.

[URL]http://www.medicinenet.com/osteoporosis/page6.htm[/URL]

Marina

Last edited by tigermom710; 02-26-2006 at 02:06 PM.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
    illmakeit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi tigermom,
    I don't have a calcium issue that I know of but I can tell when I forget to take it. My lips get tingly - numbish.

The National Institue of Health site has fact sheets on some Vitamin and Mineral Supplements.
    [url]http://ods.od.nih.gov/Health_Information/Vitamin_and_Mineral_Supplement_Fact_shee ts.aspx[/url]
    This is the calcium page.
    [url]http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/calcium.asp[/url]

My pharmacist prefers the calcium citrate ( with vit D) -you don't have to eat with it and you get more calcium absorption than calcium carbonate. He says any brand is ok. If you put both in a glass of water, one will "melt" - you're getting all that calcium. I don't know what kind of calcium is in tums.

If you are taking that much, how far apart do you have to space it(hours between taking)? I'm on half that amount and still have trouble spacing it out.

Maybe someone else has some answers.
    TT 1/26/06 -Levothyroxine 75-88

Old 02-26-2006, 09:53 PM   #7
    tigermom710
    (female)

tigermom710 HB User

Thank you illmakeit,
    I am suppose to take 2 tums 3 times a day. I have read at different places now that the body can only absorb 500mg at a time, so that would waste 500mg each time. I got no instructions on how to take it. So I'm fishing around for answers.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Marina

Old 02-27-2006, 04:42 AM   #8
    bmd
    (female)

bmd HB User

I was taking a calcium supplement BUT I was taking it too close to the time I was taking my thyroid meds. So now I'm working on changing schedule.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:17 AM   #9
    kathy590
    (female)

kathy590 HB User

I was doing the exact same thing, they told me at least 2 hours after thyroxine, I feel better already.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:42 AM   #10
    illmakeit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi all.......
    I was told to take it 4 hours after the thyroid meds.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tigermom710
    I have read at different places now that the body can only absorb 500mg at a time, so that would waste 500mg each time.
    THANKS, Marina, this is one thing I needed to know!

Does anyone know how long BETWEEN taking the calcium should be.
    2 hrs, 3 hrs, 4 hrs............

Isn't this board GREAT!
    Jewel

Old 02-27-2006, 05:55 AM   #11
    kathy590
    (female)

kathy590 HB User

I heard 4 hours, but the pharmacist said at least 2 hours, so I am going with the 4 hours, and in the last few days, I have been feeling so much better. Way less tired. I was taking Calictrol, Calcium and Thyroxine all at the same time. I had no idea I had to space them out.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:02 AM   #12
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Marina,

Another consideration: when protein, phosphoric acid (esp. soda pop), salt, sugar, and caffeine are consumed, calcium is lost through the kidneys/urine. Obviously we need a certain amt of protein each day, but most Americans take in far more protein than the 50 gm. total needed per day. Reducing your intake of those things that cause your body to excrete calcium is an important part of the game here.

If you have questions about that, perhaps your doc might refer you to a registered dietician for a consult? -- It's not about losing weight here, it's about losing calcium.

Your doc is right about the Tums. Your stomach acid helps you absorb calcium, so taking an antacid form of calcium (carbonate, oxide) sort of defeats the purpose. One thing Tums does have going for it, is that you chew it up. Be very wary about taking 3,000 mg. of Ca supplements in hard-pressed swallow tablets, regardless of the type. It's too easy for hard tabs to pass through undissolved.

Many fruit juices nowadays come fortified with tricalcium phosphate. If you get this form of calcium in your OJ (read labels), for example, the extra acidity of the OJ helps the calcium absorption.

Are you able to tolerate dairy? The calcium in milk may be somewhat more absorbable than some of the supplements, due to cofactors in the milk that facilitate Ca absorption.

It seems like calcium is every where you turn around these days. There are candies/chews, calcium gummies, calcium chewing gums, liquids, powders that make into fizzy drinks, powders that you can add to your baked goods.

Less absorbable forms of calcium: calcium oxide, calcium carbonate (oyster, coral, bone meal). Most absorbable forms: calcium citrate, calcium citrate-malate. Some studies show the absorption of the citrate-malate (42%) is nearly twice that of the carbonate form (22%).

The gluconate, lactate, citrate & malate forms of Ca do not require as much stomach acid for absorption. Some people are naturally low in stomach acid.

When calcium level is low, the small intestine plays a large role in calcium absorption, but less so when Ca status is good. Having a healthy small intestine may be critical for you at this point in time. Many celiacs (have small intestine destruction) struggle w/Ca absorption. Celiac disease is just starting to be recognized in the USA as much more common than was once thought. While the classic presentation of celiac is severe diarrhea, the atypical form (constipation and/or bloating; IBS-type symptoms), and the asymptomatic form (no observed gut symptoms) are also possible. If you continue to struggle to absorb calcium, your doc can have tests run for this problem. It is easily treated with a gluten-free diet, and once the gut is healed, most celiacs can get on the road to calcium absorption.

Gluconate & lactate forms of Ca absorb well by passive diffusion in the alkaline environment of the small intestine. Calcium absorbtion in the large intestine appears to be facilitated by probiotics (yogurt, acidophilus, etc.).

Best wishes.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:59 AM   #13
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Besides vitamin D, the body needs enough magnesium to absorb calcium. You may have to get dietary advice about the amount, though. Normally, the ratio of mag/cal should be 1:2; but the 1500 mgs of mag you would take with 3000 mgs calcium may cause overly loose bowels.

I buy my supplement from Vitamin World. The ingredients are in powdered form within gel capsules, which helps avoid the problem of hard tablets that pass through undigested. Each capsule contains 250 mgs of calcium citrate/carbonate/aspartate; 125 mgs magnesium oxide/citrate/aspartate; and 25 IU vit D as cholecalciferol. You'd have to take quite a few capsules per day to make up your dosage. There may be larger dosages available. There are other formulas with more calcium and without the magnesium, which would allow you to take less mag if the 1:2 ratio is too laxative for you.

The problem with making higher dosage pills/caps is that they are too large to swallow and more difficult to absorb so much at once. It's best to space them out over the course of a day, no matter what the dosage is.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:13 PM   #14
    illmakeit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

illmakeit HB User

Thanks everyone!!! You are all so I learned a lot from this thread.
    THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
    Every bit of info is just music to my ears!

Old 03-09-2006, 02:11 PM   #15
    AFFU434
    (male)

AFFU434 HB User

tums,oscal,and most of the other leading brands youll probably see taking over the shelfs at your local pharmacy are all really bad forms of calcium to take...they are all calcium carbonate....lets say you take 500 mg of oscal...its only 200mg of elemental (the only form that matters) and because it is carbonate form it only has a 4% to 20% absorbtion rate in your stomach.....i have hypopara after surgery as well and have been suffering horribly from it for the past 4 years seeing as how im only 16 and am not finished growing i need more as my body grows month to month.....but i have tried almost everything and i highyl reccomend taking Calicum Citrate...which is 2.5 times more absorbable then any form of calcium carbonate...also calcium carbonate can affect synthroid absorption greatly while since calcium citrate is natural so it doesnt bind to your stomachs acids....there is also calcium citrate malate which is even more absorbable then calcium citrate and calcium biscylate which i have heard is at the top of the list but have not tried yet....you can find calcium citrate at GNC or any store that specializes in vitamins and minerals.

-john

Closed Thread