It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Received sonagram and thyroid uptake need help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
    bev5493
    (female)

bev5493 HB User
    Received sonagram and thyroid uptake need help

I did get my dr today to run a panel of thyroid test I did see where he did not do t-3 and t-4 but he did have alot checked. The thyroid scan says there is a questionable cold nodule in the lower pole of the left lobe of the thyroid, There is certainly an intense uptake of radiioactive tracer within the mid portion of thr right lobe of the thyroid.It is not known which side the thyroid nodule is present. If the thyroid nodule is on the rt side it has the apperance of a nontoxic goiter, if the nodule is on the lt side then it may well represent a cold nodule.CONCLUSIONS:1 Intense area of incresed uptake of radioactive tracer in the mid portion of the rt lobehaving the apperance of a probable nontoxic goiter If this is in question then it is felt to represent a benign lesion 2 Questionable cold nodule in lower pole of the left lobe of the thyroid if this lobe is the area in question clinically then a sonagram is highly recommended 3 Normal 123 thyrioid uptake value at 24 hours of 22.6% The sonagram saysSongraphy of the rt lobe of the thyroid does show a 2.8cm x2.3 cm partially echogenic ovoid lession within the rt lobe of the thyroid. Within the left lobe of the thyroid is seen a 4 mm hypoechic lesion consistant with a benign cyst. There is another hypoechoic lesion within the left lobe of the thyroid measuring 4 mm as well CONCLUSIONS: 1 Irregular shaped partially hypoechonic partially echogenic ovoid lesions within the left lobe of the thyroid. Although this most likely represents a non toxic goiter a surgical consult is highly recommended. 2 Left lobe of the thyroid showing at least 2 tiny cysts. Please telll me what all this means? Thanks again

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2006, 09:23 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Received sonagram and thyroid uptake need help

I'm sorry I can't help much with the interpretation of the physical tests. One thing I do know is that a nodule as large as 2.8cm x 2.3 cm should be biopsied. (Anything over 1 cm should be.) Also, I don't want to needlessly scare you, but it should be mentioned that a cold nodule is more likely to be malignant than a hot or warm nodule. Still, less than 10% or so of cold nodules are cancer, so don't panic.

There are some wonderfully helpful folks here who've dealt with their own lumpy thyroids. Hopefully one will pop in soon and try to help.

Old 03-04-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
    Lola51
    (female)

Lola51 HB User

Hi,

I don't know a lot about nodules, either, however I did want to point out that a "toxic goiter" means that the thyroid is enlarged and putting out too much thyroid hormone. The term doesn't have anything to do w/cancer. A non-toxic goiter merely means that your thyroid is enlarged, but not overworking the hormone.

I know it all sounds scary (and kind of icky - goiters!) but the thyroid is one gland that is supertreatable. Do make sure and get the follow-up, and keep us posted.

Lola

Last edited by Lola51; 03-04-2006 at 08:02 AM.

Old 03-04-2006, 08:07 AM   #4
    merrillin
    Inactive
    (female)

merrillin HB User

bev.........

I know it is a lot of scary terms being thrown at you all at once. I have been there, I know it is so worrisome. The term hypoechoic or hyperechoic refers to how the sonogram waves bounce off the nodule. My nodules were both very large..........and hypoechoic as yours are and they were both benign. I did not have an uptakes scan I went right for the biopsy. I think that should be the next step as yours are quite large as mine were.

Do you have a set of labs to see what you are dealign with? You could also have hashi's as it is a disease that produces cold, big nodules. Are you sick with these nodules?

You also need to have your thyroid antibodies tested to see what you have here.

I would NOT be worried if I were you. It is more of a nusiance to have to deal with all of this and get an answer to exactly what is going on. My suggestion is if you are sick with these nodules, since you have them in most of your thyroid I would see about getting a TT to get the mess out as when you have many nodules and some pretty large ones they can really start causing you problems. Find youself a VERY good surgeon, one who is highly skilled in thyroid surgery. Also............make sure you get those antibodies tested to see if you have hashi's..............

Karen

Old 03-04-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
    bev5493
    (female)

bev5493 HB User

Thanks to all who replied. Yes I guess iam sick For seven I had had surgery after surgies From gallbladder hysterctomy sinus etc They can not find what is wrong they have said heart Oh no nothing wrong with heart Brain blood clot oh no made a mistake no blood clot etc, I have severe headaches from the time i get up I also have these spells almost passing out also have the spells where my heart hurts feels like when you get real scared someone can cough when it is quite and it hurts in my heart kinda like adrelin rushes. When i lay down at night i hear the blood in my head. I am now sleeping most days 16 hours. I am always tired Took me 15 years to get pregnant.I could go on and on Finally talked my family doc into running blood work It said it is senseless and the thyroid could not be causing all this I am hot just out od the clear blue and cold the next also one day my pulse is 50 and the next 120 I have an endo appointment but not for 4 months Everyone says just wait but that is hard also not really sure Actually thought about going to ent and saying take it out then go to endo for meds Thanks to all I was not scared of cancer until i read alot of these post knoe I just want it out, also to feel better Thanks to all

Closed Thread