It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• What did doc say to apply on incision? Need help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2006, 11:02 AM   #1
    MatthewsMom
    (female)

MatthewsMom HB User
    What did doc say to apply on incision? Need help

Hi everyone,

I had been putting antibiotic ointment on my scar but switched to cocoa butter on surgeon's recommendation. I had a terrible rash all over my throat within 48 hours. I haven't put anything on since then and my incision looks kinda darker red now and its dry. What have you guys had success with?

Endocrinologist didn't know what to suggest today since he also recommends cocoa butter...

Any input will be appreciated,
    Lyse

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
    nr2go
    (female)

nr2go HB User
    Re: What did doc say to apply on incision? Need help

A couple of topical solutions you might try are Aloe Vera and Vitamin E.

Aloe Vera is used to treat burns and heal wounds. The bes type is an organic Aloe Vera that can be consumed. It won't contain additives.

Vitamin E can be used to help soften the tissue so that it won't form a hard scar.

I would use the Aloe Vera to heal the incision and then once that is healed use the Vitamin E to help prevent it from getting hard type of scar.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Go to your Merle Norman Cosmetics studio and get Super Lube. It is wonderful. I have seen people use it that had stitches in their face and later there would not be a scar at all. It is 11.50 for a large jar and you can also use it on your face, cuticles, elbows, and anywhere you have dryness. It is wonderful! It is like an oil in cream form.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
    illmakeit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi Lyse, Thanks for the caring! Mederma was mentioned by a few people - a thread that ended on 2/2. It is the stuff that smells - has onion in it. Vitamin E was also mentioned - take it out of the capsule and rub it on. My doc said onions if you can stand the smell - evidently that is what works in the mederma - i have never heard of it. I used Aloe Vera some. PURE aloe vera - no additives/coloring etc. I kept forgetting to use it. I don't know if it helped or not. Here are some quotes from that thread I thought might interest you.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon powell
    My scar started that way. You couldn't even see it for weeks. Then it started to get puffy. My doc suggested I buy vitamin E capsules, bust it open and rub the oil there.Mine is itchy. Like I said I do plan on going to the dermatologist. Right now can't afford it. I have other co-pays, dentist, b-day parties. I do plan on getting the shots- I want mine gone!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon powell
    The red raised scars are called hypertrophic (like what I have). People are just proned to get them. Its almost like a keloid, not as aggressive. The body keeps making scar tissue, insteading of stopping like normal people it keeps going and make it hard, red, raised, etc. All the massaging and stretching in the world won't make it go away. It could eventually - in years start to fade. The steroid injections are supposed to help it flatten out. I haven't done that yet but plan to. My scar gets itchy and the doc said no scratching it could make matters worse. Also, those of us who are prone to it- its common to get them in taught places. Typically people of color have keloids and hypertrophic scars, I am white as a lily! who knows. I have a hypertrophic scar where I had my tubes tied too! I didn't realize it til I figured out what was up with my TT scar.
    Dermatologists also recommend trying silicone scar therapy to flatten it. Which worked on the ends, but the middle is still staying the same. They make me itchy too. I keep them on as long as I can tolerate.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Judy K
    Hi! My surgeon had me put Vitamine E Oil on mine, and it healed really fast!Judy K
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kant
    I put vitamin E oil on one time but it itched me to death so I just let nature take it's course. It has been almost 6 months and it is pretty invisible. I also didn't hide mine.....it was my badge of courage for the awful 5 years I lived! haha

My surgeon said to "let it breath" to avoid any bumps or coloration to it.........so I did theat and let them stare. Karen
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clueless42
    My surgeon also mentioned shots, but he said they are very painful so I think I'll wait!
    Hope one of these things works for you!
    Jewel
    TT 1/26/06 -Levothyroxine 75-88

Old 03-08-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
    NikkiNak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NikkiNak HB User

MEDERMA, MEDERMA, and MEDERMA-

This stuff has to be a gift from god the way it works. I have used it to fade stretch marks and acne scars. It needs to be applied 3-4 times a day for 3-6 months but the effort will pay off.

Good Luck Lyse

Nikki

Old 03-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #6
    limetree
    (female)

limetree HB User

My surgeon perscribed an ointment for me to put on my scar - it's called Diprolene. At first I was confused because the info on the package didnt say anything about using it on scars, but I spoke to the pharmacist and he said they use it for facial scars sometimes.

I used it after my first thyroid surgery (and will again after my most recent one) and people said they didn't even notice my scar at ALL! It was great for getting rid of the redness, and eventually my scar just looked like a normal fold in my neck.

Maybe you should ask your doc about Diprolene? I think it's only available by perscription.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:32 AM   #7
    emmymm
    (female)

emmymm HB User

Hi
    I got such an awful itchy bump rash all over my neck and chest from bacitracin. The rash persisted for a week and a half after I stopped using it! Now I am really afraid to use ANYTHING! Surgeon suggested vitamin e oil. Even without using a thing my scar looks great. So until my lump is down I won't try anything new. I don't want to further irritate the area and interfere with the flattening of the lump!
    ps...i have never had sensitive skin ...so big shock when i reacted so badly!

Wishing us all invisible wounds!!!
    Emmy

Old 03-09-2006, 05:00 AM   #8
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Bacitracin and anti-biotic ointments can be irritating. Some pp. have allergic reactions to vitamin E.

Make sure not to use mederma until your incision is completely healed. If you want, you can wear silicone scar tape overnight (neosporin has a good one)---plastic surgeons like those.

I was very lucky (I'm usually not). I used nothing, had a tiny incision, and really don't have a scar that even I can see unless I examine my neck and search for it.

Many times, I've noticed from other people's TT over the years, that it ends up looking like a crease on the neck, and is not something that sticks out.

Old 03-15-2006, 02:46 PM   #9
    Betsyp
    (female)

Betsyp HB User

I agree. Mederma is the way to go. I had my TT on December 28th, and you can barely see my scar now. The stuff is amazing.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #10
    Dryad
    (female)

Dryad HB User

Haven't tried the Mederma or anything, but I am putting a Burt's Bees creme with shea butter, E and all kinds of stuff on it during the day. At night I am using the Curad scar strips (not silicone) but I have slacked off on that the last few days. =) At any rate it looks pretty decent now (1 month after surgery) and I expect it will fade some more...it's weird because it generally doesn't hurt but then I will notice it developing a 'sore spot' in a different place every day. Odd!

Closed Thread