It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hashis...Is that hyper or hypo?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
    confused725
    (female)

confused725 HB User
    Hashis...Is that hyper or hypo?

Hi...I was wondering about hashis. Do you have hyper symptoms or hypo?
    Someone said I may have it but i certainly have all hyperT sypmtoms and loss of weight, never gaining.

Can someone explain?

Is it very common to have another autoimmune disease with Hashis? Such as lupus, diabetes or an adrenal disease or not nec?

Thx for all ur help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2006, 11:31 PM   #2
    rockylucy05
    (female)

rockylucy05 HB User
    Re: Hashis...Is that hyper or hypo?

Hashimoto is an autioimmune thyroiditis and is hypothyroidism, but I believe you can be both until you thyroid decides which way to go. Your body produces antibodies to the thryoid gland and the gland eventually burns itself out or stops producing thryoid hormone. May run in families and may be at risk for diabetes or rheumatoid arthritis. You have painful headaches, brain fog, mild fatigue, diffuculty concentrating, and weight gain. Have you seen an endo? Has he/she found a nodule? Has he/she done a fine needle biospy? Someone(sorry can't remember name) on this board said that doing a biopsy you can find out if you have Hashimoto or not. That is why my endo did more blood work...I believe he requested I have tsh, T4, ft3, ft4. I am not sure if he had me have the antibodies lab work done. I will find out and post the result after my next appointment. I haven't the biopsy done yet, but will soon...I hope. You might want to check out these books: What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About HYPOTHYROIDISM by Ken Blanchard with Marietta Abrams, The Thyroid Guide by Beth Ann Ditkoff, and Paul Lo Gerfo, A Patient-Expert Walks You Through Everything You Need to Learn and Do THE FIRST YEAR Hyporthyroidism by Maureen Pratt, and The Thyroid Solution A Mind - Body Program for Beating Depression and Regaining Your Emotional and Physical Health by Ridha Arem. I have checked these books from the Library. I hope this helps. I am sure someone on this board knows more than me and please correct me if I am wrong on any information. I don't know too much but reading books, the board and talking to my friend whom also has Hashimoto has helped me out a lot. Good Luck!

Thanks,

Cindy

Old 03-19-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

You can have both hypo and hyper symptoms when you have Hashi's. I have had it for almost 5 years and at first my symptoms would jump all over the place within the same day. Weight gain or loss isn't set in stone when you are hypo or hyper. It happens to some but not to all. Some that are hypo won't gain and may actually loose, me included.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
    rockylucy05
    (female)

rockylucy05 HB User

Hi Dea4
    Do all your test result coming out normal? Mine have been coming out abnormal, but mostly normal? Is that a sign of Hashimoto? Do you have a nodule(s)? Can you please tell us more about Hashimoto and how it affects you?

Thanks,

Cindy

Old 03-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

When I was first diagnosed my bloodwork would be stable then I'd get more hypo or hyper. It went up and down for quite a while and I was constantly getting med adjustments.
    I had a wide array of symptoms that never seemed to be the same from month to month. Before being diagnosed with Hashi's I started out having a lot of difficulty breathing and having periods of extreme weakness and feeling almost faint. I'd also get extremely hot and couldn't tolerate the heat, not a good thing when you live in south Texas . I'm hypoglycemic (for 9 years now) so my blood sugar was really low all the time and I'd constantly get colds and the flu every winter. I'd also be dizzy a lot.

I went to my regular dr and he sent me to an endo. The first endo I saw really saw nothing wrong with the basic bloodwork the dr did on my thyroid (even though my TSH was 4.75) and just told me to eat more balanced (already doing that). So my dr sent me to another endo, she didn't like the 4.75 and sent me for more bloodwork including antibody testing. My bloodwork came back with antibodies and an even higher TSH. She started me on meds and so I started the road to trying to get regulated. I stayed pretty stable for a while and then would jump around, at one point I was very hyper, then very hypo a month later. I'd also have hypo and hyper symptoms in the same day very often throughout the first couple of years. I don't, or should I say last time they checked, I didn't have any nodules.

Some of the symptoms I've experienced along the way are.... pounding heartbeat and sometimes very rapid heartbeat (over 100bpm). My right eye would drive me nuts, felt like it had a film over it and I'd constantly be rubbing at it. I'd get indegestion all the time. My lower legs would ache like I climbed 10 flights of stairs. I'd have trouble breathing, my voice gets scratchy or hoarse sounding. Heart palpatations, numb feeling fingers or arm, tingling feeling that goes over my head and face, dizziness and vertigo. There is probably more, these are just the ones I can think of now.

Now I stay pretty stable although I still have times when I can tell I am more hypo. I'll still get dizzy, have some trouble breathing, heart palps, aching legs sometimes, hoarse sounding voice, and that awful tingling feeling that goes over my head. And of course, when my thyroid levels are low, so is my blood sugar. I don't have these all the time, just sometimes. Not sure if I'll ever be symptom free.

Many factors can effect your thyroid including the weather, stress, your monthly cycle etc. Generally when you ovulate your free levels drop and stay low till your cycle starts. So, for some people, taking extra thyroid hormone at this time helps with annoying symptoms. Even food can effect your thyroid and how you absorb the hormone. Certain things slow your thyroid.....soy, foods with goitrogens. And of course if you take calcium or iron close to your meds you will not absorb the meds properly.
    At this point I think my thyroid is pretty much dead and I'm probably pretty much on my full replacement dose.
    Having thyroid problems really sucks, but I guess there are worse things in life.

Hope this helps you and I hope I didn't bore you too much

Last edited by dea4; 03-19-2006 at 04:31 PM.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
    rockylucy05
    (female)

rockylucy05 HB User

Hello Dea4!
    How are you doing? I am doing pretty good. No, you didn't bore me to death. It so interesting because what you just said, describe is exactly what I am going through except I am not on any meds...this endo wants to find out if I am hyper or hypo. With the blood tests coming out normal I am not hyper but probably most like hypo. Because all the test are coming out either low or boderline low(I think I am correct). I like warm weather more than cold weather. BTW, where in Texas are you from? I have lived in San Antonio, and my sis is living in Austin, but she is moving back to Killeen...she found out that Austin is too expensive....lol. Nice talking with you. Good Luck! I hope you are feeling much better.

Thanks,

Cindy

Old 03-21-2006, 07:07 AM   #7
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi,
    I'm in the Conroe area, more between Conroe and The Woodlands but my address is Conroe.
    I'm not doing too bad these days but still have days where I'll have times where I feel crappy This morning I got up a bit dizzy, O joy

Hang in there, maybe soon your body will decide and you can get on with treatment.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:50 AM   #8
    rockylucy05
    (female)

rockylucy05 HB User

Hello dea4!
    How are you doing? I am sooooo tired and have terrible painful headache....you know the ones where you want to use a sledge hammer to get rid of....LOL! . I have been dizzy , brain fog is baaacckkk, and I feel weak, slow body movement, kinda of fast heartbeat . I haven't felt like cleaning my house for a llllloonnggg time and monday (3/20) I actually had energy , but know I am back to being sooo tired . Have you seen the show called miracle worker.....we all need to be on that show...they seem to find smart doctors...that actually know what they are doing and listen to the patients. Today (3/21) was my first day back at work from being on vacation for 12 days. I enjoyed it but it by quickly. I wonder how many us live in Texas...seems quite a bit. I hope you are feeling so much better. April 6 is my next appointment.....I hope he will do more than tell me sorry you will have to wait or sorry can't help you . I will cry if he says any of that.

Cindy

Old 03-22-2006, 02:59 PM   #9
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well hello Cindy,
    I'm doing pretty good,(knock on wood). I feel for you. Your symptoms are sooo much like what I went through and I know its really hard to make yourself do anything especially clean house. I learned not to fret so much over my house because I simply could not take care of it when I felt sooo terribly bad, and it wasn't like it would disappear, the mess would be there another day to clean up (only worse;() I think one thing that even made me feel worse was the fact that I'm also hypoglycemic and at the time my thyroid was messing up so badly my blood sugar was also in a turmoil.

I must say that from what I felt like about 2 years ago to what I feel like now it is much improved, so you at least have something to look forward to if they ever get you treated.

Hopefully that next appointment will be a turning point for you.

Closed Thread