It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid Meds on Empty Stomach?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2006, 05:12 AM   #1
    Tamsin
    Veteran
    (female)

Tamsin HB User
    Thyroid Meds on Empty Stomach?

I take .112 of synthroid in the morning with my breakfast. I have tried to take it on an empty stomach but it feels like I've just had 10 cups of coffee and feels that way for hours. The ensuing anxiety raises my blood pressure (and I'm already on meds for that).

My T3 and T4 are low, and I have all the signs of hypo/Hashi's.

Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2006, 06:01 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Thyroid Meds on Empty Stomach?

How long ago did you begin taking Synthroid? What dose did you start at and how fast did you work up to .112? I ask because that would be a huge starter dose, and would hit most people like a ton of bricks. I'm surmising that you haven't been on it long since your T4/T3 are low. Let us know details.

Old 03-22-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
    Tamsin
    Veteran
    (female)

Tamsin HB User

I've been on thyroid meds since I was 12 years old. I'm now 45. I've been on .112 for about 5 years. I recently had my T3 and T4 levels looked at, and they are "normal" but the absolute lowest of normal. And I have symptoms of hypo. Plus the lovely nodules.

My story (details) is posted here a few pages back.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
    ellie342
    Inactive
    (female)

ellie342 HB User

Were you taking your meds on an empty stomach for a few weeks before your last labs were drawn?

Taking them on an empty stomach is advised because you get more consistent absorption that way - no risk of certain foods interfering with the amount absorbed from day to day. However, when you first switch over from taking it with food to taking it without, you might find that your dosage is too high - that is, now instead of absorbing 70% you are absorbing 100% and you might need to adjust your dosage downward.

That being said, though - since you are only taking T4, and T4 has a long half-life (which means levels shouldn't fluctuate all that much after one dose) - I wonder if your symptoms are due to something else? Taking them on a empty stomach means not eating for 1 hour after or 2 hours before. Could you be waiting so long after taking your meds to eat that you are getting low blood sugar and are symptomatic from that?

Ellie

Closed Thread