It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Anyone have subacute thyroiditis? I was

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
    tessad
    (female)

tessad HB User
    Anyone have subacute thyroiditis? I was

dianosed with that last week (I have a scan tomorrow to confirm it). I have never been so sick, my neck is so swollen and painful and I have hyper symptoms. The dr. put me on a beta blocker but I still feel the same. I'm wondering if anyone else has had it and can offer me any advice, I am having a hard time functioning and going to work too. Thanks so much for any advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
    illmakeit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

illmakeit HB User
    Re: Anyone have subacute thyroiditis? I was

Hi tessad Welcome to the board!

Sorry you are hurting!

This will bump up your question so maybe someone who has experience with this will see it and answer you.

I had never heard of it so I asked jeeves what it was. On the University of Maryland Medical Center site it say it thyroiditis involves inflammation of the thyroid gland that usually follows an upper respiratory infection and then subsides. And, as you well know, it is painful!!! You also may become hypo - but you say you are hyper! Some of the symptoms for hyper & hypo are the same. What symptoms do you have? Did they run any thyroid tests - TSH/FT4/FT3/ or the antibodies tests? If so, post the results with the ranges here. If not, maybe you should ask for them to be run.

It says that eventually your thyroid gland function will return to normal. That is the BEST part!! Hopefully it doesn't last too long for you.

Alternative Names are deQuervain's thyroiditis and Granulomatous giant cell thyroiditis.

Hope this makes you feel a little better! Hang in there.
    Jewel
    TT 1/26/06 -Levothyroxine 75-88

Old 03-28-2006, 03:34 PM   #3
    YMARTINEZ
    Inactive
    (female)

YMARTINEZ HB User

I was diagnosed last August, was feeling horrible, having anxiety attacks,
    crying spells, fatigue , night sweats, it took 3 long months of this to finally stop, then the hypo stage set in, was having muscle aches, fatigue dizziness
    heart/chest pain, Its been almost 8 long months and am finally feeling better I still have some off days where I dont feel like myself and am scared to death this will come back. My doctor said there is no treatment , just bed rest and aspirin for inflammation. The only thing I didn't have was a painfull sore neck, I guess mine was considered silent thyroiditis , which is what usually happens after pregnancy(I wasn't pregnant). My doctor said its not very common and is caused by a virus.

Good luck!

Old 03-29-2006, 07:15 AM   #4
    tessad
    (female)

tessad HB User
    Thanks so much for responding. I did have blood tests

and a scan. The dr. didn't tell me my numbers but he said they were "off the chart" and that I was hyper and gave me beta blockers. They don't seem to have made much difference for me. I had a scan yesterday and am waiting to hear the results from that. As I'm sure many of you know, even though they say to rest its impossible. I have two kids and work full time and have a long commute, so thats out of the question!

Old 03-29-2006, 05:21 PM   #5
    YMARTINEZ
    Inactive
    (female)

YMARTINEZ HB User

I know what you mean. My husband and daughter thought I was going crazy (so did i) I felt so bad because I barely had the energy to make it to work much less live life after that. Somedays I dont even remember how I made it through work, my brain was foggy and I was nauseas, dizzy, emotional and had anxiety but at the same time was fatigued. I was diagnosed as "depressed " but i refused to take antideppressants. I knew there was something medically wrong!
    My doctor said what was happening was my thyroid was inflaming and releasing too much thyroid hormone into my bloodstream which casued the anxiety , panic attacks, then it would go back to normal, then inflaming and going back to normal and so on.....and eventually he said it burned itself out, which caused the hypothyroidism symptoms.
    Those days I would literaly sleep every hour I was not working. So hang in there, it'll get better, I read the usual time span for subacute thyroiditis is 4-6 months. I felt better after 8. My endo said hes heard of people being sick 1-2 years....

Old 03-31-2006, 06:31 AM   #6
    tessad
    (female)

tessad HB User
    Thanks so much for resonding. I feel better knowing

that someone else has had it and recovered. I guess I have a long way to go, I'm only about 4 weeks into it. How did you tell when you were hypo instead of hyper? The dr told me to stop the beta blockers when the hyper symptoms are gone, but if it changes to hypo, I'm wondering how to tell the difference since so many of the symptoms are the same.

Closed Thread