It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Levoxyl & Anger

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
    Dazey
    (female)

Dazey HB User
    Levoxyl & Anger

Hi,

I'm new here and had my thyroid out last year. I have been on Levoxyl for close to 8 months and the last 2 months, I have been so angry it seems.

Could this be hormones, the meds, or am I just getting old and cranky (44). I haven't had my period in almost 3 months. Last checked my TSH was at 1, so I think my dosage is probably good.

Uggghh, I want to be happy again! Do any of you experience this just angry at things feeling?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2006, 10:02 AM   #2
    ellie342
    Inactive
    (female)

ellie342 HB User
    Re: Levoxyl & Anger

When I was hyperthyroid from Graves, I would find myself kind of irrationally angry about things - but of course, at the time I didn't see it, I just thought things would be fine if other people would just quit doing things to **** ME OFF, LOL!!!!

Could you possibly be too high on your dosage?

On the other hand - anger can be a symptom of depression, so it might be that you are too low?

Ellie

Old 03-28-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
    Dazey
    (female)

Dazey HB User

Thanks Ellie! LOL.. Good post there. I didn't know either, I know I'm freezing cold ALL the time and still am having very itchy skin as well as getting PO'd easily. Hmm, can't remember if those are hypo or hyper symptoms, probably one or the other.

Old 03-28-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
    ellie342
    Inactive
    (female)

ellie342 HB User

If you're freezing cold all the time then you are definitely not hyper! Possibly you are still too low and having some depression which is showing itself as anger. Hopefully a higher dose will help.

Ellie

Old 02-03-2007, 05:34 AM   #5
    Equalitarian
    (male)

Equalitarian HB User

And I thought I was the only person who experienced rage if I took too much Levoxyl ! Thanks for letting me know that I'm neither unique nor crazy ! I found out about a year ago that I had a major, and up until that time, undiagnosed thyroid deficiency. "No problem," I thought, since the cure is just to supplement with Levoxyl. The doctor said I needed about 60-75 micrograms, and since I tend to be hypersensitive to EVERYTHING he suggested starting out with 25 and working my way up slowly. Fortunately, the day I took my first 25 mcg (half a 50 mcg tablet) something or other gave me some major digestive distress (that's been happening since 1964 ....) and since I wasn't sure if it was a reaction to the medicine or not, I cut back to a quarter tablet. That seemed to work fine, with no side effects, but no real improvement either. So I decided that after a month or so I should increase to 25. Between one and two weeks in, I started to get anxious, and it was both a psychological and physical feeling of tension in the upper body. I cut back to 12.5 for awhile, then a few months later tried 17 mcg (1/3 of a tablet). Once again, between one and two weeks after increasing to 17 I got anxious for a couple of days. But then it went on to "Stage 2" - anger. I cut way back when this happened and things returned to normal at 12.5. Over the past year I made several more tries at increasing above 12.5, and each time the results were identical : After about a week, I'd experience 10-12 hours of feeling REALLY good, like my old self, followed by several days of high anxiety, and a day or two of barely controlled rage. I'm normally a very happy, positive, supportive person, but when I'm "under the influence" of Levoxyl I do things I'd never do under normal circumstances, such as answer an obvious "spam" phone call and verbally abuse the caller, or have animated conversations with people who aren't really there in which half the words are profanities and the other half hostile. One day I was fantasizing about suing my landlord ("getting even" is a common theme ....) and giving my lawyer instructions on how nasty he should be in pursuing this case, and
    I didn't notice that someone had come into my office and heard about 30 seconds of this tirade. That was when I vowed never again to exceed 12.5
    mcg and in the ensuing weeks I never have. I still have some low level of
    recurring hostility, so maybe even 12.5 is slightly too high, or maybe this stuff causes permanent personality changes, but it's easily controllable at this level. In any case, I'm going to see if there isn't an alternative medication when I see the doctor. But in the meantime, thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one in whom too much Levoxyl can trigger rage !

Old 02-04-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Sorry for laughing...but your post was funny! I had the same thing when I was hyper. I had NO patience and anger towards certain co-workers. Yeah, I had those "conversations" too.Do you think if you stuck with the dosage awhile longer, your body might get used to it? I've read many posts where gals (or guys) have increased or decreased their dosages and felt crappy for a good three weeks to a month, but then it stabilizes. Do you go right back to the other dosage when you feel like that?( for equalitarian)

Last edited by Bran'sNana; 02-05-2007 at 03:01 PM.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
    boata
    (female)

boata HB User

Anger was my main mood when hypo - with me it took getting all of my hormones optimized - not just thyroid. I can remember the week I started taking progesterone... it was like ahhhhh, this is what it feels like to be normal. I am now taking 3 grains of Armour, an estrogen supplement and progesterone cream. Also magnesium, a really good multi-vitamin and Omega-3 fish oil. I've tried a ton of supplements but these are the ones that seem to make a difference for me along with really eating healthy. I can tell you that my hubby is much happier with his "nicer" wife these days. Seriously - I think I would have ended up divorced if I hadn't gotten this under control. I would never supplement any hormone without knowing what a blood test level was - even though you can buy these over the counter these days. The estrogen was very difficult to get to the right level even with a doctor's input. Hope this helps someone out there...

Closed Thread