It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Cut back on Armour when taking Cortef?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
    also2tired
    (female)

also2tired HB User
    Cut back on Armour when taking Cortef?

I had a doctor appointment today, and he prescribed 5 mg Cortef to be taken every morning. I forgot to ask him if I should take less Armour when I start the Cortef. It seems I have read something about either cutting back the dosage by 1/3 or else stopping it for a few days... I can't remember for sure. The directions say to take with food. Is that important? Anyone have advice on this Cortef? Do you think 5 mg will really make any difference? It seems that most posts I have read about Cortef for adrenal fatigue involve 10 to 20 mg. My morning cortisol was only 7 (13-24), and my afternoon level was also below the normal range. Adrenal glandulars did not help at all, so I was kind of surprised that he thought 5 mg (one time per day--in the morning) would be enough. Oh, he also told me to take 5 mg of DHEA in the morning because that was also low. Anyway, back to my most important question: Should I reduce the Armour at all when I begin Cortef, and if so, why?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
    Re: Cut back on Armour when taking Cortef?

IMO it's impt to take the Cortef with food unless you've got an iron-clad stomach. It's probably also wise to start with just the 5 mg.; your doc can increase the dose later on if necessary.

You could & probably should call the med. office for clarification of your question. My understanding is that the Cortef helps your body use T3 with fewer side effects, if your adrenal function is low.

I am not on Armour, but I have mild adrenal fatigue & took Cortef for a week before adding in Cytomel to my Synthroid. I am now starting to cut back on the Cortef & am noticing more side-effects from the T3 (rapid pulse).

You're not supposed to have side effects w/low dose Cortef, but I did suffer the (negative) moods & significant water retention on just 5 mg. The water retention can also increase blood pressure (good for some folks, not for others) & requires a low sodium, increased potassium diet.

Best wishes.

Closed Thread