It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Low Blood pressure & Thyroid Disease

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2006, 07:24 AM   #1
    confused725
    (female)

confused725 HB User
    Low Blood pressure & Thyroid Disease

Hi all,

Do any of you suffer or notice that your blood pressure is low?
    If so, what are the #'s.

Thx!
    Rachel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2006, 07:41 AM   #2
    illmakeit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

illmakeit HB User
    Re: Low Blood pressure & Thyroid Disease

Mine has always been lowish. I wouldn't call it suffer tho-the nurses always say it's GREAT to have low BP. My dad has always had low BP - 2 heart attacks, pace maker, Defibrillator, high cholesterol, 3 stents, Mine is usually under 100/60 - usually about 95-96 over 54 or so. HOWEVER, my heart rate has been high for me - up to 120 - since the TT, I think. I know years ago the HR was normal - I used to walk and measure my HR to get it up to whatever it was supposed to be. Did me a lot of good, huh?
    TT 1/26/06 -Levothyroxine 75-88

Old 04-04-2006, 07:44 AM   #3
    ellie342
    Inactive
    (female)

ellie342 HB User

Mine has always been fine, but not low. Just wanted to let you know - low blood pressure is one of the symptoms of adrenal insufficiency. True full-blown Addison's disease has that as one of the symptoms. You may want to get that checked.

Most Addison's disease in the US now is due to autoimmune disease (in the past, destructive infections like TB was a common cause, but that's rare now). True full-blown Addison's disease is rare, but the risk is somewhat increased in people with other autoimmune diseases, like thyroid disease. And who knows how many people are out there with "subclinical" adrenal failure, since antibodies against the adrenal gland are not routinely measured.

Ellie

Old 04-04-2006, 08:46 AM   #4
    also2tired
    (female)

also2tired HB User

My blood pressure was 100/60 or lower. Usually the bottom number was in the 50's, and sometimes the upper number was 95-98. My blood pressure has gotten a little higher since being on Armour.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #5
    confused725
    (female)

confused725 HB User

What did the Dr's say to you both about your B/P being low like that?

I was having a lil high B/P was always 105/60 or so, then when I was hyper i noticed it would run to 120/75 or so...........

Not sure if its because i may be getting on the hypo side but now i noticed its been 105/52 in that range.

My dr did bloodwork and urine and said not to worry about the #'s, its all about how u feel....but I've become scared now to even go out of fear that its going to go even lower.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
    marissamm
    (female)

marissamm HB User

my bp is 90\50, low blood pressure also goes with hypothyroidism,

Old 04-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
    confused725
    (female)

confused725 HB User

Hi Marrisam,

Thx for replying,

What does your Dr say about that? Is there a medicine you should take? Is this healthy?

Do you get dizziness at all?
    I read that it was a symptom of hypoT but was surprised many did not reply..........Anyhow, how long has your pressure been like that? Do you need to check it regularly? Does it fluctuate?

Sorry for all the questions, jus curious.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:51 PM   #8
    marissamm
    (female)

marissamm HB User

hi confused, my bp was like that for 18 years, i do get dizzy at times but my doctor isn't overly concerned sometimes it will go up to 100/60 thats when i have been very active i do have to be careful about medicines, when i was in the hospital for my tt, it dropped 80/50 i woke up with 7 people in my room, the pain meds made it drop. but other than that i am ok.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:18 AM   #9
    illmakeit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

illmakeit HB User

Actually, every time I go to the doctor the nurses say "good BP - low is good". No meds for it that I know of. My Dad & brother both have low BP so it runs in families - just as high does. Dad can't have salt now - due to fluids in his lungs. His is about 80-90/40-50 most of the time. Doc isn't worried about it.

confused725 - I thoght 120/75 was OK for most - maybe it's "high" for those of us who are normally a lot lower. My hubby is about 140/90something, I think. I thought his was a little high - he hasn't been to doc in YEARS! Can't get him to go. Maybe I'll start nagging, but it just isn't me. He does give blood regularly and cholesterol always ok - not even near the higher limit. If I try to donate blood, they usually won't take it - afraid it will go TOO low and they won't be able to bring it back up. I don't even try anymore.
    I had a vasovagal (fainting)experience during my FNA and BP went down to 50/30 that I KNOW OF. That was when I was "with it" - before that, I don't know how low it was. I know the team in the room were a little scared - most had never had that happen before - the doc doing the FNA knew right away.

I am dizzy a LOT and always have been. Eat a lot of salt?? to raise BP?? They always say NO salt to lower it, so why wouldn't eating more make it higher? Doesn't seem to work for me - I've always been a salt-aholic.

adrenal insufficiency - I will start studying that - I have seen it mentioned, but am so wrapped up in feeling better hadn't thought of it - seems as if I have something else to research! Osteroposis, cholesterol/heart, adrenal..........is there more? Don't know if I want to hear this.
    I learn SO MUCH from this board!! Thanks!
    Jewel

Old 04-10-2006, 08:25 AM   #10
    confused725
    (female)

confused725 HB User

Hi Marrissam & Jewel,

TY both for taking the time to reply. It seems this thyroid disorder brings one thing from the next.
    It makes me feel better knowing that youve had low B/P for 18 years........cant be too bad then, huh? I just get so discoraged with all THE SYMPTOMS.
    I have a 15 year old and a 2 year old & I am so darn tired most of the time.

My Dr's dont seem too concerned with my pressure (allthough it scared the wits outta me when it hit 106/46 last week). I havent checked it since then because I'll check it & then if its low, like that, I'll just start my own Panick attack.

My Dr said dont check it......says the #'s dont matter, its how you feel but going from hyper to hypo not knowing my own body anymore, I still worry. What if the hypoT makes it just DROP?? (even lower).

I've aquired a "worried attitude" since this thyroid disoreder & frankly, sometimes I feel so depressed because of it, I just get sick, wondering, does it ever get better.

What are the 2 of you diagnosed with, or have you been?
    God bless!

Old 04-10-2006, 08:57 AM   #11
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

High blood pressure is also a symptom of low thyroid or hyrpthyroidism. I guess it is a symptom of either high or low, but if you do a search on "high Bp and Hashimoto's Thyroidism" you will see it is a symptom. I know a slow heart rate is an indication of low thyroid.

How is your heart rate in relation to your low bp?

Old 04-10-2006, 09:22 AM   #12
    illmakeit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi confused! I had a 3.3 cm nodule plus others (all benign)removed with my thyroid 1/26/06. Never had any antibody tests or any suspicious Thyroid tests - no symptoms until maybe dec and then my neck and ear hurt a little due to the nodule and had a slight "sore" throat - a SMALL amt of difficulty swallowing. FNA in Nov didn't tell us anything & since cancer was suspected I decided to have the whole thing removed. Like I said, my dad's is REALLY low and I know people who have 150/?? and are fine - at least they are walking around. Some people here have had a VERY high heart rate but not gotton to the thyroid storm level. I thought 120 HR resting was high - but it isn't really. It bothers ME. I can feel it. I can feel pretty much anything over 90 or so.
    SCMILY - why is my BP low and I feel hypo? Went to BD party yewterday, ate 2 pieces of pizza and 2 chichen wings. Couldn't hold my head up and was freezing. 4 hrs later, ate a SMALL piece of cake and one small dip of ice cream, same thing. That's why I don't usually eat anything but a very small amt (ONe of these: piece of bread, 1/2 orange, 1/4 grapefruit or tablespoon of peanut butter) during the day. Otherwise, I am DOWN!

Actually, my BP has been up to about 109/65 sometimes. Usually in the mid 90's/50's.
    My BP & HR varies from minute to minute. I bought a BP/HR monitor thinking I would need it for this thyroid stuff, but I think it is more of a toy now. I only take it when I "feel" the HR zooming. Woke up from a nap the other day and took it and HR was 110. BP was 96/54.
    Jewel

Old 04-10-2006, 11:34 AM   #13
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sometimes my heartrate is low and my bp is high.............or sometimes h rate is high and my bp is normal. I am taking 160 mg Diovan.

I was wondering if your bp is low................and heart is not pumping hard, does your heart beat faster and harder to try to compensate. Just wondering?

Old 04-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #14
    illmakeit
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

illmakeit HB User

I don't know, Shmily. Guess the blood pressure people might know.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #15
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I also have read that shortness of breath is a very common symptom of hypothyroidism. Does shortness of breath raise your blood pressure or heart rate?

Closed Thread